Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Freezing meat & Thawing it back out.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Freezing meat & Thawing it back out. Next Topic  

Wauka Mountain Mama
True Blue Farmgirl

239 Posts

Fran
Fairburn Ga
USA
239 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2012 :  3:15:31 PM  Show Profile
Hi, ya'll.

I was woundering what method everybody uses for frezzing & thawing meat? I know its sooo simple Iam being silly for asking BUT, Iam used to using freezer bags & then either putting the meat down to thaw or thawing it out in the microwave, but I've had enough moments where the meat went bad by dinner time or at the least LOOKED icky enough that I had no desire to cook it.
Iam also looking into stocking up on organic meats on sale, not using plastic frezzer bags & kicking the microwave out of my kitchen. So, Iam losing some options & spending alittle extra money. So, I truly can use the advice to avoid wasting food, time & money.

Thanks & blessings, Fran. :)

Live simply. So that others may simply live.

http://waukamountainmama.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Wauka Mountain Mama on Jul 10 2012 3:17:52 PM

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2012 :  4:27:30 PM  Show Profile
1st you need a vacum sealer, always reseal all meats before freezing (you can use freezer bags as long as you get the majority of air out), 2nd, never ever use a microwave to thaw meat, it is actualy partialy cooking it and changeing the structure of the meat, instead, thaw in frig, (which can take over night) or float the package in cold water (changeing water as needed to keep cold)...I hope this helps...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2012 :  09:07:46 AM  Show Profile
I don't have a microwave, but I usually just lay it out to thaw in the fridge, or if I'm not that organized, then I put water in the sink and do it that way. Doesn't take very long.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Freezing meat & Thawing it back out. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page