Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Problem with bobbin?? Please help...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Problem with bobbin?? Please help... Next Topic  

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  3:53:51 PM  Show Profile
Hello all,

I'm inventing my own fencing cap with a fabric pattern for trial. I pinned the two pieces together and went to sew it when the sewing machine began to act odd. I tried to remove my fabric but it was stuck. After I managed to get it undone I saw that the bobbin thread is all loopie on the underside. Like it believes I need an inch wad of thread right there.

Any ideas what's wrong? Is it a thread tension problem? I know my tension is way up from it!

Please if you know please share...my kids already know too many cuss words from me from my attempts to sew!

Cyn

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  4:06:29 PM  Show Profile
Hi Cynthia, I would clean out the bobbin area, and I would also clean out the bobbin case, and make sure the bobbin thread is threaded properly in the little tension area. When lint gets in there it can cause (nests), but making sure it is threaded properly also helps. Bring up the bobbin thread, the push to the back of the needle bar. See if this helps!

happy sewing, gloria g. Richards, Tx

strawberry fields forever and ever!
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  4:07:27 PM  Show Profile
I know that I have had the bobbin in my machine backward before (so the bobbin spins counterclockwise when I am looking at it in the bobbin case, rather than cloclwise), and that caused what sounds like the same problem. I don't know what kind of machine you have - I have a Bernina - or if it's the same in all machines, but I know it didn't happen again when I switched it around! Good luck!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  4:31:23 PM  Show Profile
I would check the threading of the upper thread as well as the threading of the bobbin. Make sure that the threads are unwinding in the direction they are supposed to off the spool or bobbin as well. I think that 90% of the time, when the stitches go goofy, its a problem with the threading.

Jana
Go to Top of Page

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  4:36:33 PM  Show Profile
Thank you! I'll check it all...it's a Singer and I've had it for years. It's been in the shop a few times this past year for bobbin problems. The part that holds the case keeps getting "out" of it's space.

I'll let you know if anything fixes this.

"The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today." President Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  5:49:49 PM  Show Profile
Cynthia- Here's something else to check...Have you adjusted your presser foot tension? If not the fabric might just be stalled and the thread is backing up faster than the fabric moves through. Also, some machines allow you to raise and lower the "teeth" in the feeder plate for different types of fabric to facillitate thickness, etc...
Hope something here helps! Good luck, that's a tricky project you're tackling!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  6:50:26 PM  Show Profile
Well I feel stupid... but ya'll were right! My thread in the upper was unthreading in the wrong direction AND my bobbin was in backwards... ugh! Thanks so much!

Now if I could figure out a decent pattern for this project... I look like a dutch milk maid with utters on my head! It's not the look I was going for!!!

"The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today." President Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2006 :  05:57:13 AM  Show Profile
Cynthia,
It happens to everyone!
Mine was on my industrial machine, called the repair man, who stopped in after his shop closed and I HAD THE NEEDLE IN WRONG!!!!
It was an expensive goof on my part! Just wasn't watching what I was doing.
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2006 :  8:32:22 PM  Show Profile
I almost have it finished! I'm so excited!!! My stitches weren't as straight as I would have like them to have been. This is the first time I'm sewing without having a book in my hand or directions. I took the time to visulize it...tomorrow I hope to try it out!

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2006 :  9:06:07 PM  Show Profile
YEAAAA Cynthia! Glad to hear you overcame the problem. Does this mean you will be parry and thrusting tomorrow? I fenced a lonnngggg
time ago, it's quite a workout. My son has taken classes but I'm not sure it's his sport! Good for you, have fun!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Problem with bobbin?? Please help... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page