Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Question Re Worming Donkeys
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Question Re Worming Donkeys Next Topic  

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2012 :  12:33:44 PM  Show Profile
I have to give my donkeys their dewormer tomorrow and am getting a little nervous. I've done it twice before, using different brands each time. The vet put them on the following schedule:

January - Strongid Paste
April - Ivermectin or Zimectrin
July - Safeguard or Panacur
October - Zimecterin Gold Paste or Equimax (these for tapeworms)

The tubes of paste are usually for a 1,000 - 1,200 pound horse, so trying to figure out the proper dosage for a donkey is a little tricky. Whenever the vet administered the dose, I think he gave way over the weight of the donkey. I'd heard that it's better to overdose than underdose, but now I'm wondering just how much of an overdose is safe.

I bought one tube of Safeguard 1,000 lb. dose (unfortunately I got the unflavored kind) to use on Mama donkey and one-year-old gelding tomorrow. Just read that a good way to administer is to make a molasses sandwich cut into quarters. Give a plain quarter first, then follow with two dewormer paste-added quarters, then the final plain molasses quarter. The two times I've done this before I always just tried to hold the head and administer, but doing this by myself is difficult.

Any suggestions on safe amounts and how to give them? I'm going to use the measuring method today to determine the donkeys' weight, but right now I estimate that Mama weighs between 350-375 pounds and baby weighs about 250-275 pounds.

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2012 :  4:19:12 PM  Show Profile
Before you worm them, get a "weight" tape. It measures the horse or donkey around the girth area and gives you a close approximate weight of your animal. You should be able to get a tape from your local feed or tack shop. Then give the correct dosage. Plan on being home or have a knowlegeable person there incase they get colicky. Some animals can colic when they pass large amounts of worms. I wouldn't over dose them but underdosing can cause more problems. You are also correct in rotating the types of dewormer and not the brands. On your next vet barn call, have your vet do a fecal to see what your donks may or may not have. Hope this helps.

Lorie

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

KansasFarmMomma
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

91 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2012 :  4:25:38 PM  Show Profile
I would recommend having a fecal float done at least once a year to make sure you are getting everything treated.

As for the proper dosage, The safeguard tubes have a little ring that spins around. There should be markings on the plunger that have weights on them (200, 400, 600 etc.) Just spin the little plunger to where you need it and squeeze out that much. I would dose momma for 400lbs and baby for 300lbs. You have to give them a LOT of extra to do any damage, plus it's inevitable that they will spit some out. Our horses range from 900-1100lbs and they all get a full tube because they always end up spitting some out.

Edited to add- Look how much your tube weighs...it's not uncommon for a heavily wormed horse to be put on a multiple day treatment "power dose" or "power pack" if you are using Panacur. For safeguard that is one(25 gram) tube a DAY for 5 days per 550lbs. Giving a little extra one time is really not going to hurt.

Nicole
Farmgirl # 4209
www.bearpawphotography.weebly.com
www.KShappyhomemaker.wordpress.com

Edited by - KansasFarmMomma on Jul 08 2012 4:30:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2012 :  6:42:13 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the good advice Lorie and Nicole. And, Nicole, congratulations on your baby! Pray you have a healthy pregnancy and safe and easy delivery.

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson
Go to Top of Page

KansasFarmMomma
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

91 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  04:58:39 AM  Show Profile
Thank you. We are very excited :-)

Nicole
Farmgirl # 4209
www.bearpawphotography.weebly.com
www.KShappyhomemaker.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2012 :  09:14:39 AM  Show Profile
A person can put applesauce in an old wormer tube and play around with it between wormings to get them to warm up to being wormed.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Question Re Worming Donkeys Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page