Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Buried a dog that wasn't ours...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Buried a dog that wasn't ours... Next Topic  

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2012 :  7:49:58 PM  Show Profile
We live on a dirt road that is basically a dead end. A river is at the end of the road. Lots of people go down there to wade in the river, etc. Someone drove up to our farm and said there was a dead dog down by the water and wanted to know if it was ours. I said it wasn't, ours were all in the house. We went down to check it out and it appeared to us that someone had obviously shot this dog (who none of the neighbors recognized) and dumped it in the weeds. Now I don't know the story (there are a LOT of dogs who run out here) but it still made me really mad.

Well, its almost 100 degrees and will be for the next week so we didn't think a dog should be laying in the weeds by the river...so my dad and another guy who lives on this road took on the job of giving him a proper burial.

Some people. I can't believe it!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com

www.amydingmann.com

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2012 :  9:53:36 PM  Show Profile
Thank God there are still wonderful men like your dad and the other guy. I'm happy the dog got a proper burial.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2012 :  04:58:11 AM  Show Profile
So sad, that poor dog probably never had a good life.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2012 :  05:50:36 AM  Show Profile
Amy,
Thank you for doing what was right! So sad that people are that mean...thank you again for being respectful to this precious animal!

Lori

Gernerosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2012 :  06:06:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is so sad. When I volunteered at a vet clinic as a kid, one day the vet was out on some rounds and it was just me and the vet tech in the office. A family had found a dog stumbling down a dirt road. They brought him in and he had something like 20 gunshot wounds that we could see. The poor dog. Someone had been using him as target practice and just left him there.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wff7Xpc/]

[/url]
Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2012 :  06:10:36 AM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
Stories like this make extra proud to be a farmgirl.
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2012 :  06:39:52 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone. Like I said, I don't know what the story was. There are a LOT of dogs out here that run and harass the farm animals. So I don't know if that was what this was or what...but still, to just dump the dog by the river was cruel. Everyone/thing deserves a proper burial. :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com

www.amydingmann.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2012 :  06:43:38 AM  Show Profile
Amy, I would have done the same thing--poor pup. I'm sure there is part of the story we don't know, but dogs simply don't understand fences and boundaries, and after all, aren't we humans responsible for them from beginning to end? Thanks for doing it--everyone deserves a proper end.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2012 :  09:49:44 AM  Show Profile
That's terrible. When strays/dumps come up our drive, I catch them and detain them until I can find their owners. If the same dog keeps coming back, I just call the pound so the owner has to pay a fee to get them back. We don't shoot dogs. I can't understand someone shooting/dumping a dog.

~Natalie~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana. http://mtnme.blogspot.com
Starting a family and raising Tibetan Yaks, Highland cattle, Laying hens, Muscovy ducks, Silver Fox rabbits, and a few dogs.
Go to Top of Page

BlackHorseFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Elizabeth
Chicago IL
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2012 :  6:44:37 PM  Show Profile
Breaks my heart the way some humans treat our animal kin.

Thank you for giving the poor soul a proper burial.

http://countrygirlinchicago.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl Sister #4032
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2012 :  9:56:45 PM  Show Profile
It saddens my heart that we, the intelligent species can be so cruel, heartless and careless... not only is this an act of cruelty but... it was a blatant disregard and lack of concideration of others who have to happen upon the dead dog and not to mention the ugliness of the decompossing carcass in the heat and near a water source.
Surely the 'owners' had options.. we all have options... shame on them.. and bless your hearts for doing the right thing.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

JerseyGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Michele
Southern NJ
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2012 :  04:40:55 AM  Show Profile
that just makes me want to cry...that poor dog. I can;t imagine anyone being so cruel and heartless.
Bless your heart for doing something so kind.
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2012 :  7:14:26 PM  Show Profile
Amy,
So sorry to hear that someone would do something like that. Wow, people just never cease to amaze me- in both good and bad ways.
How wonderful that your FIL and neighbor took care of things properly.
Sorry you had to go through this.
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Buried a dog that wasn't ours... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page