Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Best Place to get Canning Supplies?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Best Place to get Canning Supplies? Next Topic  

KansasFarmMomma
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

91 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2012 :  07:00:03 AM  Show Profile
I went to a canning class last night put on by our local extension office because I've always wanted to learn to can. After the class I am fairly confident that I can try it on my own.

The problem is we are VERY limited on funds. I will be water bath canning simply because I cannot afford a pressure canner. Can anyone recommend the best place to get cans & lids at a decent price? I think I'm going to buy one of the cheap water bath pots off amazon for $18, but their jars all seem so expensive.

Also, I am trying to find some inexpensive books with canning recipes...any suggestions?

Thanks!

Nicole
Farmgirl # 4209
www.bearpawphotography.weebly.com
www.KShappyhomemaker.wordpress.com

musicmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Wendy
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2012 :  07:17:47 AM  Show Profile
I've picked up a bunch of jars from garage sales and craigslist for cheap. Oh and don't be shy about it, let people know that you are looking for jars. I've had friends just drop by a bunch of jars because they don't want them and didn't want the hassle of selling them. For those, I'll usually give them a couple of jars of jam throughout the summer as a thank you.

As far as lids go, I've found my local farm store or hardware stores seem to have the best prices. I'm hoping to switch over to Tattler lids which are reusable. They are more expensive upfront, but then I don't have to buy new lids each year.

Do you know anyone else who cans? If I find someone who wants to get started in it, I'll usually have them over to can because I have all the equipment. All the little extras which make it just a bit easier.

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley

www.becomingwendy.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2012 :  09:50:19 AM  Show Profile
Start asking around for canning jars... be bold! Check thrift stores. I always ask at yard sales, even if they don't have any in the sale, sometimes they have a little box in the garage they forgot about. I rarely ever buy new jars.

You just need to price the lids for your area. Our Winco has the best price and I pick up one box of each size everytime I go grocery shopping. (that's once a month or less) Plus, I started using Tattler lids recently and love them. There's definitely a knack to it! I still use some metal lids because the Tattler's don't leave the house and I always give away jam and salsa and such.

Also, look for canners and pressure cookers at the thrift. I just bought another pressure canner at the thrift for $9.99 and it had a whole canning kit with the funnel, jar lifter, and even an apron in it! I see water bath canners often too.

If you keep at it a little at the time, you will be amazed at how fast you start accumulating jars. =) And rings... they multiply on their own somehow!

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2012 :  12:51:42 PM  Show Profile
I find stuff on Craig's list and at Goodwill. Once I put a want ad on Craig's List for canning supplies and had a lot of people that were willing to just give me jars and supplies. You should try it on your local Craig's List. Just go to www.craigslist.org and find your city or the closest one. It is free.
Also, you apparently have a computer. I google search for canning recipes all the time.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

DeborahLee
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Deborah
Starkville Mississippi
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2012 :  11:40:25 AM  Show Profile
I hit a pretty good sale at my local Krogers and had a coupon. Between the two, I easily beat WalMart's price. Used jars are fine---IF they are in good condition. You need to check the rims very carefully for nicks or dings that might cause your jars to not seal. Unless you're using the re-usable lids, you should always use a new lid when canning.

You do have to be careful when trolling the Internet---I've seen some really good recipes and some very unsafe practices. Same for YouTube---but I did find it helpful when I was starting out.

Other resources:
I love Mary Beth White's blog: http://www.oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog/ She is truly an inspiration and the lady will can anything!
The National Center for Home Food Preservation at the University of Georgia has a lot of really good (free!) information and recipes: http://nchfp.uga.edu/.
The Ball website also has some good info: http://www.freshpreserving.com/home.aspx.
And finally, don't forget your local library. They probably have some cookbooks and canning guides that you can check out for free!

Deborah

Professor, librarian, writer and farmgirl!
Farmgirl #2970
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2012 :  11:50:24 AM  Show Profile
I got a bunch of jars from Freecycle.com. I had to buy lids and bands, but that's okay. Everything on Freecycle is free - no charge for anything.

KayB

Life's a dance you learn as you go

Farmgirl Sister #2351
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2012 :  12:57:31 PM  Show Profile
I have a friend who advertised in her newspaper for jars and she got 1000 jars, in boxes, left on her lawn!! Of course, they were dirty and required much washing, but they were free! As far as lids and rings, watch this fall at Lowes, Ace Hardware and Tractor Supply. They always put everything on clearance and you can get lids for as cheap as 35 cents a pkg. The boxes of rings and lids go as cheap as $1.50. I even found a really, really nice anniversary edition Ball waterbath canner last year for $20. It had been $59. I purchase all I can get of their clearance stuff and stock up for the next year.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

Megan
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Megan
Hudson South Dakota
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2012 :  8:11:01 PM  Show Profile
ask some of the ladies in your area that are older that can, as they get older they tend to can less so they have extras, plus some still want to can but need a little extra help, so if you help they teach.... I had 2 water baths and lots of jars out of that kind of deal.... those ladies are nice, and normally do without what they can handle any more

www.rockriverexoticsandkennel.net
Go to Top of Page

Roe
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Rosemarie
Tavares Florida
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  03:35:20 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the information about canning I am planning to
make some Jams for one of the swaps in August.

Hugs,
Roe
Go to Top of Page

KansasFarmMomma
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

91 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  05:31:59 AM  Show Profile
I've asked around the other day and was able to find a waterbath canner! yay! I'm still on the hunt for jars, rings & lids :-D

I'm a little nervous about using canning recipes off the internet simply because I DON'T know completely what I am doing. The last thing I want is to use a recipe that's not safe. It was recommended in the class that we started with some trusted books on canning such as the ball blue book until we get more familiar with everything.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Nicole
Farmgirl # 4209
www.bearpawphotography.weebly.com
www.KShappyhomemaker.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

michgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Mary
Glendale WI
USA
148 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2012 :  11:14:46 AM  Show Profile
I get lots of my supplies (jars, my water bath pot) at Goodwill. Also I start every rummage sale with "Do you have any canning jars??". Put the word out with friends- networking helps. Cannin is such fun. They have tutorials on youtube, btw if you want visual demonstrations.
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2012 :  4:20:55 PM  Show Profile
I was so pleasantly surprised this afternoon. An aquaintance from a few years ago all of a sudden called me and said that they are cleaning out their garage - would I like all of their canning jars? Well, yessirree!! So I got five boxes of canning jars both pints and half pints, a total of 60 jars. Yay! They are in the dishwasher right now.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

Breahna
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Breahna
Broadus Montana
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2012 :  12:22:32 PM  Show Profile
Depending on how many jars and lids you are looking for you might talk with whoever handles the ordering in that department at your local farm store, I know the one I worked at had a couple people who got together and ordered several cases and were able to get a discount that way, never be afraid to ask for a deal on things you can buy multiples of the worst that can happen is they tell you "no". Also look for Junk/Antique stores, it has been my observation that the more "Junk" they have piled up outside the more treasures they have and the better the prices, my last foray to our local one before the lovely couple who ran it went to the nursing home (was a very sad day but they are very happy there) earned me a whole pile of pillow cases for sewing projects, two rusty but savable HEAVY cast iron pans, an old push mower, a pressure canner that just needed a new seal and several very neat looking glass jars.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Best Place to get Canning Supplies? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page