Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farmgirl Fashion
 Handmade Raffia hat--can I "reshape" it?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Handmade Raffia hat--can I "reshape" it? Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2012 :  07:19:57 AM  Show Profile
I bought a Raffia hat made in Australia a few years back and have worn it in the garden at times, but my little one decided it would make a great cowboy hat and now it's a bit wonky. It is all Raffia, hand sewn and a very high quality hat, but I'm wondering if there is a way to "reshape" the head of the hat? When you put it on, it's fine, but there is a bit of a wavy section that makes it somewhat uncomfortable to wear.

It sits currently on a larger Bell Jar which encapsulates fossils and arrowheads, but I wonder if you can wet it a little and then stuff it or something like that?

Any advice?

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2012 :  07:52:08 AM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
I think that would work.
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2012 :  05:04:36 AM  Show Profile
I make raffia hats. You can spray it with water, inside and out and reshape it and let it dry. Once it is dry you can spray it with a matte finish sealer that you can buy at craft stores.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2012 :  07:33:46 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much, both of you! I'm going to tackle it this weekend. It's such a lovely hat, and I'm trying to find a scarf to tie around it for color sake, but the shape comes first!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page
  Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Handmade Raffia hat--can I "reshape" it? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page