Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2012 :  06:52:03 AM  Show Profile
Have you tried any of Ree's receipes? I enjoy her cooking show, Pioneer Woman and her blog.
I tried her pulled pop pork and it was too spicy for this old Mo. farm gal so the next time I used roasted red peppers and salsa instead of the peppers that Ree uses and my husband is still raving.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

"It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are." EE Cummings

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2012 :  08:42:36 AM  Show Profile
Love her recipes. I've made several and we haven't found any we haven't liked. I'm hoping to pick up her new cookbook soon. Have you tried her cownboy breakfast sandwiches? Excellent! The man thought they were a bit too spicy with the jalenpenos but I enjoyed them that way. She makes chicken fried steak and gravy just like I was raised to make it.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2012 :  08:54:40 AM  Show Profile
I have her cookbook (even stood in line to get it signed)...she cooks for men and my husband is crazy about everything I've made from her book. I like it too, but I can only do it now and again--I try to eat light and her recipes are definitely not light :) I've made a lot of things posted on her website, too, to rave reviews at potlucks and parties.
For my daughter's 1st birthday, I used all her enchilada recipes for the party (green chicken chili and the red sauce) and people just raved!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2012 :  5:14:28 PM  Show Profile
I really enjoy her show on the Food network on the weekends. I have not purchased her cookbook but I plan to. I make her recipes but cut down on the heat for my husband and myself but we really enjoy them.

"It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are." EE Cummings

Go to Top of Page

momshopsalotta
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Connie
Hertford NC
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2012 :  5:21:03 PM  Show Profile
Just tried her chilli. I thought it was stupid to buy the spices when I could have just bought a chilli seasoning mix for about a dollar but it was so worth it. I also managed to get all the spices (except cumin) for $1.00 a piece which helped. I never much liked chilli but I love her recipe. I also did not choose to add her corn flour and it was great without it.
Go to Top of Page

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2012 :  5:26:28 PM  Show Profile
I've never tried any of her recipes or seen her website, but I just checked it out via your link. Definitely going to bookmark it. Everything looks amazing and she is funny as heck to boot! While reading her directions for her spinach, artichoke dip I came across this step "Drain the artichokes, then rinse them under cool water and set them aside for approximately 254 seconds." Huh? 254 seconds? I thought it was a typo, but after reading the rest I see she has a great sense of humor! lol!

Thanks for posting the link!

Emily
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2012 :  07:07:55 AM  Show Profile
Emily Anna, she really does have a hilarious sense of humor! I love to read her--her show is cute, too, but I am often bored by cooking shows and more entertained in writing, so I really love her website!

I have tried a lot of the recipes on her site if you want some recommendations. My "go to" pot luck pasta salad is on there and gets rave reviews each and every time I take it somewhere.

Go to Top of Page

Marcia30
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Marcia
Mt. Carmel IL
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2012 :  4:22:11 PM  Show Profile
i have her first coobook and i really want her second one but have not came across it yet!! I love watching her show and i cant wait till they are new again!!! She really knows what to cook to really get peoples attention! Everything that she cooks is all stuff that i would cook!! I made her pulled pop pork and my family just loved it and then i even made it for our easter dinner with the rest of the family and they just absolutley just loved it. You can never go wrong with one of Rees recipes!!!

Summer is here and it sure is hot!! But sucking up the heat and getting my tan on!!!
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2012 :  09:59:46 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, I've tried to find that pasta salad but can't. Care to share?

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2012 :  11:24:41 AM  Show Profile
I like the Pioneer Woman's blog. Beautiful pictures of the land and animals.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2012 :  11:42:05 AM  Show Profile
Sure. Lemme see if I can find the link so I don't make any mistakes in typing it.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/06/spicy-pasta-salad-with-smoked-gouda-tomatoes-and-basil/

It says "spicy" but it really isn't. I never change anything (well, except to add a little more kick) and even the mildest palate loves it!

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2012 :  3:19:28 PM  Show Profile
She has give aways on her blog too...nice kitchen equipment and over 21,000 people entered...needless to say I didn't win the ice cream maker or the mixer or the dutchoven.

On one of her rerun shows today, she made strawberry oatmeal bars...I will have to give them a try.

Go to Top of Page

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2012 :  6:04:30 PM  Show Profile
Jonni,

That pasta looks great! I've always liked the mozzarella, basil, tomato, and oil/red wine vinegar combo so this sounds fabulous. I never would have thought to use gouda. One question....did you have any trouble finding the peppers with adobe sauce? Or did you just use something similar?

Emily
Go to Top of Page

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2012 :  04:32:19 AM  Show Profile
I agree her food is great!! But you have to watch the heat factor and the calorie count. I love her turnovers made with mountain dew and BUTTER ... only make it when we have folks over so they are all eaten ..... I could not find adobe sauce in GA. What I did was I found some salsa that had adobe peppers and used that on the brisket. The spicy factor was perfect. Oh I also added fresh peaches to the brisket giving it a sweet taste. I made it for a family gathering.

Don't forget to laugh!
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1503 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1503 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2012 :  08:21:27 AM  Show Profile
I had never heard of Pioneer Woman until yesterday. I just happened to notice this post and wondered if you all were talking about the same blog. Anyway, I misplaced my great aunt's Indian Frybread recipe and was looking online for a new recipe yesterday. I chose to try the one Ree posted. It was really easy to make and turned out great! We had Indian Tacos for dinner last night and they were scrumptious! I'll have to see if we get Food Network on TV so I can watch her cooking show. I'm definitely going back to try more of her recipes!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2012 :  08:37:44 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Jonni! I'll be trying this very soon.

Rumi
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2012 :  3:09:08 PM  Show Profile
We are watching reruns of Pioneer Woman on the weekends and yesterday she made some strawberry oatmeal bars. It looked good so I made them this morning and I used peach freezer jam...delic...my husband really liked them too. The bars smelled so good hot out of the oven, hubby and I ate small pieces hot with cool whip. mmmmmmmm so good!

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  07:45:56 AM  Show Profile
If you have a larger grocery (like Meijer, Kroger, Walmart) where there are ethnic foods, you should have no problem. The Adobo peppers are in a small can (like the old fruit tins) in the Hispanic Foods section and cost about $1.49 to $2.00 depending.

The pasta salad rocks--and you absolutely need the adobo because the "smoke" encourages the smoked gouda as well. Such a great dish!

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  2:57:39 PM  Show Profile
The strawberry oatmeal bars recipe is found on the Food Network site

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/strawberry-oatmeal-bars-recipe/index.htmln

Go to Top of Page

Jeanna
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Jeanna
Franklin NC
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2012 :  6:23:51 PM  Show Profile
I have both of her cookbooks. The second one has more "healthy" recipes than the first one. Of course I haven't tried all the recipes but all but one of them I tried was delicious. The one that got the thumbs down from the family was the mac and cheese in the first book. I love her, wish I had TV so that I could see her cooking show.

Jeanna
Farmgirl Sister #41

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1503 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1503 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2012 :  8:44:08 PM  Show Profile
I tried the Sloppy Joes recipe from the blog last night. They are to die for! I have never particularily cared for Sloppy Joes, but this recipe had even me going back for seconds. I loved the extra kick provided by the chili powder, Tobasco sauce and other spices. It adds a dimension that lacks in the store-bought canned sauces. We don't get the food network channel, so I'm going to have to find one of the cookbooks.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Edited by - edlund33 on Jun 26 2012 8:44:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

whispering pines
True Blue Farmgirl

428 Posts

patricia
sedro woolley wa
USA
428 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2012 :  9:11:56 PM  Show Profile
I love her show, cookbooks but don't forget about the book for children Charlie the Ranch Dog it is beautiful. I am going to try Ree's Lime Pickles in the new
cookbook.

"It's not what I do, but how I do it!"~Mae West~

Edited by - whispering pines on Jun 26 2012 9:13:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

JerseyGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Michele
Southern NJ
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  05:13:17 AM  Show Profile
I've made several of her recipes and we've loved them all! I keep saying I'm buying a cookbook but have enough of them already and barely go thru them.
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2012 :  10:12:22 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone tried Ree's Red Velvet cake with the icing that she makes? I watched a rerun this morning...first time for me to see... and she made meatballs and greenbean casserole and red velvet sheet cake...I have the feeling when it cools off some, I will have to give all three dishes a try. But...with the heat...after working outside this morning...we will have bolo sandwiches with a big old slice of red tomatoe and chips with iced tea!

Go to Top of Page

SarahJ
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Shreveport Louisiana
198 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2012 :  06:00:38 AM  Show Profile
I've made a few things out of the second cookbook. My husband and I made the onion-blue cheese sauce for our grilled steaks one night, and it was incredible. I also made her chicken enchiladas, and while they were ok, I kinda thought they were too much work for the end product. I made pizza last night using her dough recipe, and I loved it. It was incrediby easy.

I tried to make the coffee cream cake, but it fell apart when I tried to assemble it. I salvaged it by turning it into a trifle, and it was good.

SarahJ

Farmgirl Sister #116

http://bayoumama.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2012 :  07:32:09 AM  Show Profile
I tried the pasta salad and it was KILLER!! I've added it to my favorites for pot-lucks and family get-togethers.

Rumi
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pioneer Woman Cooks Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page