Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Bean problems- Help! Tomatoes too.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Bean problems- Help! Tomatoes too. Next Topic  

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2012 :  07:15:23 AM  Show Profile
I posted a picture on my blog, I have a link to it under my signature. They are my brittle yellow wax beans. This is the first year I'm growing yellow beans for myself (my parents grew them as I was growing up) and I've never had this problem before.

I first noticed it last night when I was watering my garden. Some of the leaves were really thin at the tip and as a result rolling up, kind of like a cigar. There were no other signs of bug damage. I did some research online and didn't find anything helpful.

Today, I noticed (as seen in the picture on my blog) the leaves are not only rolling up, there are some funky brownish/gold spots where its just the outer crust of the leaf, all the inside is gone so it looks like it got burnt or something. My heirloom dragon tongue beans seem to be fine as do my jade green beans. So far its just my yellow wax beans.

I also noticed a bunch of little tiny holes in my tomato leaves which, after doing research, discovered the culprit is the flea beetle. I've read DE is helpful for that?

The tomatoes and yellow beans are in different parts of the garden. The tomatoes are on the end, and the yellow beans are in the middle. The green beans are near the end of the other end of the garden and the dragon tongue beans are in the middle between the yellow beans and the tomatoes.

What should I do/ What is the problem with my yellow beans? Is there anything I can do organically? Is DE the only thing to use on my tomatoes? Thanks in advance!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2012 :  06:03:15 AM  Show Profile
Whatever this is, it's affecting my bell pepper plants too! I never,ever had these problems and I have no idea what to do...

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2012 :  07:16:03 AM  Show Profile
Krystle,
I don't know what is happening to your beans. I am growing wax beans too and I also live in WI. I don't have this problem with mine. It will be hard to fix if you don't know what it is. Good luck!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2012 :  12:25:25 PM  Show Profile
Krystle - I just saw mine looking the same way as yours when I went out this afternoon. I have read up on it a little bit. One article suggests we've got a fungus in the soil, and that when it rains (which it has been doing a lot this summer), the rain hits the soil and the fungal spores fly up to the bottom of the leaves and spread. They say to remove the infected leaves and then mulch around the plants to prevent any disease from spreading. I don't know what to think, but, like you, I'm ready to cry! Oh well, if at first we don't succeed, try, try again! I'm going to go out and try the suggestions above and then plant some new seeds. I am eager to hear what the other farmgirls have to say, too, though! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

paddlingfamily
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Katherine
Reedsburg WI
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2012 :  1:15:26 PM  Show Profile
We are having problems with rose chafers in this part of WI (near WI Dells). There is another gardening forum at mwt.net that you could join and ask your questions. Several Master Gardener's belong and frequently check the site and give valuable information. I have learned so much regarding the pests in my garden and what to do about them. Unfortunately I don't have any answers for your question but mwt.net might be a good spot to check into.

Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2012 :  07:50:20 AM  Show Profile
Krystle - just want you to know that I really think it's blight. I looked in my "Gardener's Bible," and there are two kinds - fungal and bacterial. Treating both by removing severely damaged leaves and then spraying with neem oil or aerated compost tea are recommended. I'm going to try the "tea" and then mulch with straw. It will affect the tomatoes, too, so it is recommended that you follow the above treatment, removing infected leaves and treating with neem or aerated compost tea, and then mulch really well around the base of your tomatoes so that the bottom leaves cannot possibly touch the soil. I hope this works!!! Good luck - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2012 :  10:55:15 AM  Show Profile
Thanks! I'll get right on that and see if I can save the garden!! :)

Go to Top of Page

Sugar Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Pamela Jean
Sugarloaf Ca
USA
108 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2012 :  1:19:53 PM  Show Profile
I live in the mountains and vary rarely get a bean or a tomato before the first killing frost, but started everything under plastic this year and things are looking good for me so far. I too think it sound like blight. Good luck.

Stand for What's Right!
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2012 :  3:10:45 PM  Show Profile
Krystle, when I went out to the garden this morning, I found a whole bunch of little tiny flying/hopping green bugs falling from the bean leaves as I plucked away the diseased material. They are little tiny green grasshopper-looking bugs: bright green, about a quarter inch long, if that, and they hop AND they fly. Upon doing a little research, I learned that they are called leaf hoppers and actually may be the cause of the bean issue. I also noticed them in my peas... My poor peas! Little stinkers - they have GOT to go!!! I had a busy day and wasn't able to call the local extension to find out what I need to do, but I will and will also relay the information to you. Dang it. From what I read, these things can kill just about anything!!!! So, be watchful, because it may not be blight affecting your plants at all. I'm sorry! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  07:58:31 AM  Show Profile
Okay, Krystle... here's what the Master Gardener said: First check online to see if the pictures match what I'm seeing, because they do sound like potato leaf hoppers. He asked if I live in the country, because they love alfalfa, and usually when local farmers cut down alfalfa, that's when they move into smaller gardens. I actually live in the city, but we're not too far from a BIG local farm owned by my girlfriend's family. I don't believe they "do" alfalfa, though. He said that they don't show any organic solutions for the leaf hopper, but he recommended I visit Agway and pick up some pyrethrum product or Seven. He said to use spray because if you apply powder who knows where it ends up, plus you really don't want to be breathing it in. So I mentioned that I had used Seven a couple of years ago for a different problem, and it worked, BUT my garden is organic and when I did use it, I noticed it really "hardened" or changed the plants (i.e., lettuce was no longer tender and flavorful, it became rather rigid/hard and tasteless). He asked if I had done research online, which I had (and, like Suzanne said in her post about the problem with her grape vines, I found that there is really nothing definitive). I asked him about using Neem oil. He said that he knows that it is approved for organic gardening, and that it might work. We could try that first and then if it doesn't work, move onto the Seven spray. He said that I can get neem at Agway or even probably find it at the "big box" stores... SO, I'm going to head out today, buy some Neem oil spray and give it a try. I know there is some sort of Bio-Neem product out there online (more safe? more organic, perhaps?), but I really don't want to wait on and order due to processing and shipping time, you know? I'll let you know what happens... Good luck! - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Bean problems- Help! Tomatoes too. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page