Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Update!....Etsy buyer leaves negative feedback
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Update!....Etsy buyer leaves negative feedback Next Topic  

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2012 :  7:52:58 PM  Show Profile

Well lo and behold the vintage plates arrived on my doorstep this afternoon in the original box, with insurance and delivery confirmation. They are intact and I have already listed them again on my Etsy site. I went ahead and refunded the "disappointed" buyer with the message that I did my part of the agreement by refunding and now it is her turn to hold up her end of the agreement by reversing her negative feedback-I am NOT going to hold my breath...All of this for 2 little hand-painted plates. No wonder the world is in such a mess...Can't people just TRY and be nice to one another?

Thank you ladies for all the wonderful advise and of course your sweet comforting words-I am so lucky to have you-

Mel

On May 26th I sold two vintage French plates to an etsy buyer with no feedback accumulated I was her first....

Three days after her plates arrived she emailed me saying the plates weren't the ones in the photograph listing. Well, of course they were the plates I had listed-I only had two of these hand-painted plates. I emailed her back and told her sometimes the monitor varies and shadows will either lighten or darken the color of the item listed. I also clearly state on all my listings NO REFUNDS. Well-She left me my first Negative in over 90-sales with one word describing the transaction "Diappointed" I am assuming she meant to spell "Disappointed" So six days ago.... I email again saying I don't refund, but if you send the plates back in the condition in which they arrived and according to her first email they "arrived quickly and were carefully packed" then I would issue a refund. Never heard a word until today. Now she wants to send the items back and after she receives her REFUND then she will change her feedback.

My question is....What if the plates arrive NOT in the condition received? and What if they do arrive intact and I REFUND her money what if she doesn't reverse her negative feedback?

What should I do?

Oh....The whole transaction cost $31.35 ($20.00 for TWO vintage plates and $11.35 shipping-I also always add delivery confirmation)

Talk to me ladies-----

Melody
Farmgirl #525

Edited by - melody on Jun 11 2012 1:22:43 PM

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2012 :  8:05:32 PM  Show Profile
That's crap, Melody. Is there any seller protection or way to report her to Etsy? I don't think you'll have any recourse if the plates come back in poor condition... Unless they're insured and they are damaged/broken during shipment. I hate to say it, but I get the feeling you might have to "eat" the whole thing. And even then, can you get that negative feedback removed somehow? or, are you at least able to leave a seller response to her feedback or something? She sounds shady... You need to be protected somehow, as do all the other Etsy sellers with whom she might pull this scam. I'm so sorry this has happened to you - not only are you an excellent seller as far as quality, shipping time and excellent prices, your items are always perfect, and you are generous, considerate and extremely fair. You are such a wonderful person, and you always treat people just as you yourself would want to be treated. This is just so wrong. You don't deserve this one bit! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2012 :  8:31:25 PM  Show Profile
Love you so much Nini....

I really really try to live by the rule "Do unto others" but this girl I think she's a girl-she explained in her first e-mail she was just learning english, but the address that I shipped the plates too has a different first name. Anyway...I responded with a Negative as well I had no alternative considering the listing was true, the items arrived intact and it was shipped the very day of the order. Since she had no feedback to begin with I was a little worried, but the transaction went very well initially. I contacted ETSY regarding the fracas, sent all the messages back and forth and invariably ETSY makes it their policy to side with the buyer-They told me they could not change the negative. I really don't like how etsy handles the feedback protocol. It can ruin a very good Etsy seller's reputation.

But, Nini what should I do? I plan on waiting until I get my plates back, but then what? Who is to say she won't reverse that negative and just be a snot about the whole thing? Should I insist that she reverse her negative feedback first and then I will refund the money IF the plates arrive back in the same condition she received them?

Mel
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2012 :  10:23:46 PM  Show Profile
Well, I think the best thing to do is to stick to your word, because that's who you are, and it's the right thing to do, regardless of what this person has pulled. Your listing made it perfectly clear there were no returns, and it's not your fault if she made a mistake in ordering something she didn't want. If she's "dissatisfied," it's not your mistake, it's hers. But others won't see that unless you can somehow cover yourself with a reply post to your feedback page. You have been more than gracious to offer a full refund if she returns the items, because that is the kind and considerate person you are. To me, and probably to most buyers, that speaks volumes as to your character and your fairness as a seller. And yes - absolutely! I would definitely request that she remove the negative feedback, but I don't think you can hold it over her head in order to refund her money, because you offered to do so without any reservations, you know? You can't coerce her into doing the right thing. And I know you were really upset to have left negative feedback for her, but as a seller, I would always hesitate to do so, because that could still somehow leave a negative reflection on me personally. Maybe setting the example and striking your negative feedback first will set a more positive tone and open the door for her to do the same for you. I don't know. Either way, if she doesn't do the right thing, that speaks volumes about her as a buyer. I know how upsetting this is - it is extremely unjust; but you know you are in the right, you know you have done the right thing. Just hold your head up high and realize you have done the best you can in this situation, and rely on your 90 other positives to overshadow her one insane, esoteric negative. All those positives will speak volumes to your integrity as a seller. "Disappointed" doesn't really provide any real feedback. As a potential buyer, I would want to know why. Since she does not explain why, and given all the other positive feedback, I would have to say her feedback would lead most to believe she made a bad personal choice, and that's on her, not you. It would be so good to be able to briefly (very briefly) clarify for potential buyers - and sellers, for that matter. Is there any way you can cover yourself in the feedback section where this is concerned? If so, my only advice would be to keep it clean, gracious and classy - just like YOU. You don't want other potential buyers to see any negativity coming from you, because that could turn them off from buying, you know what I mean? It's so not fair, I know. But sometimes it's best to just shake it off and cut your losses (I know - like who can afford that nowadays, right?! With any luck, you'll at least get your plates back!), and move on. Just always try to take the highest road possible - as I know you will, because that's who you are! God will see, and you will be blessed in other ways, believe me. I really don't like that this person has done this to you at all, especially knowing the wonderful person that you are. You are so much better than this. Just don't let one bad apple spoil the whole bunch for you, because there are a whole lot of good ones still left in the barrel and waiting!!! :) Love you, sister! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2012 :  10:27:52 PM  Show Profile
Oh! And Mel - please insist that she provide you with a tracking number, insurance coverage (to protect you) and request a signature and delivery confirmation from the Post Office. That way she can't pull anything more - like saying she sent it, but you never refunded her money. I don't like how this situation feels - better to cover your bases. :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2012 :  10:42:31 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Nini!

Mel
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2012 :  03:02:14 AM  Show Profile
Melody, Best wishes in restoring your good name. It does seem unfair, but I guess you always take a chance when you are in business.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2012 :  05:04:02 AM  Show Profile
i agree with nini-stick to your most generous offer to refund AFTER you have rec'd the plates....
as to the negative comment--it is a shame however - it shows the world that no one is perfect-if there is a way for you to leave something to the effect that you are sorry she is disappointed then do so...if you have to leave her comment just know that you were fair (more than fair!) and move on--you know you are an excellent saleswoman with morals... not sure that i am verbalizing what i am trying to....chemo talking!don't let it get you so down...there must be many many more who are pleased with your sales or you wouldn't still be doing it!!!!!!!!

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6594 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6594 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2012 :  05:18:37 AM  Show Profile
Penny, I have sold quite a few things on Ebay and the first time I had something similar to this happen, I ended up just refunding the buyer immediately and writing it off as the cost of business. Until that point, I had all excellent feedbacks so I figured in the big scheme of things, it was better to keep the excellent feedback than haggle over one sale. Unless the plates were purchased for a big price, I wouldn't even worry about a return unless she is agreeble to do as she said: return, refund, and then change the feedback. All businesses have a certain amount of these transactions and they usually place their customer satisfaction over the money from the sale. It is, of course, your decision. I just wanted to share how I have handled these challenges because in the long run, the practice has served me very well. I do sympathize with you as it is always a bummer to lose the benefit of a sale. May I suggest that you try and figure out a way to add volume to your store so that overall your sales profit is higher and one particular sale does not effect your bottom + line. Good Luck!

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2012 :  06:39:06 AM  Show Profile
Melody - I had one more thought after signing off last night. If the plates are returned and they are not the same ones, or if they are in a condition much different from which you shipped them, you can always file a mail fraud charge with the Post Office. I believe you have to file charges with your local police first, and then take a copy of the complaint to the Post Office. I don't know if that is really worth the trouble at this point, but it is something to keep under your hat in case you come across this kind of thing again in the future.

Margo & Winnie - very, very good advice! I'm right there with you on all counts!

Margo - Still praying for you, sister! :)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2012 :  07:25:12 AM  Show Profile
I am so sorry to read of this - I understand that selling on Etsy is great but it does come with some not so nice or what I call bat crazy folks. People who make it a life ission to mess with people and try to get things for nothing. It matter not what our policies say they want what they want and for free. I agree with all of the suggestions and I know it still does not make us whole. I have a few neutral from one lady when I first started. She did not like what the shipping cost was and I only charge what it costs to get it there and refund any overage but she still thought it was too much. I told her she could always talk to the Post Office about their costs but I have to charge that amount to get the package there - what I am to do my business for free??? See sometimes we just deal with bat ass crazy people and nothing works.

Just know you did your best and those of us who sell and buy on Etsy know that not all ratings are correct and we do look into it...

Blessings and Know you are Loved

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2012 :  07:39:40 AM  Show Profile
When it says "no refunds", hello, customer, that means no refunds!! But from what I'm reading, here and on other places, that doesn't matter. It's making me a bit afraid to sell long distance now. I am getting to the point I think I like selling locally, which cuts down on my market.

My website: http://antlersantiqueswindchimes.weebly.com

Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2012 :  11:27:59 AM  Show Profile
I know there will always be people like that and there is nothing like having distance between two people that can make them "snarky" and vindictive-It's too easy to hide behind a computer monitor and "Let fly" so to speak. Anyway....as time goes by the issue becomes more and more ridiculous to me and for a mere $31.35 it is not worth my blood pressure escalating. What I can't understand is what on earth is happening to some people? Grace is right and I agree...There are people out there who want something for nothing and if it doesn't' go their way then they throw a hissy fit. I guess I'll wait and see if she really does send back the plates-so much time has elapsed now with this negative transaction-it hardly seems worth the effort to "please" this woman. But, since then I am getting more and more exposure on my site,more people have added my shop to their favorites and this morning I actually sold an item even with a 99% positive! I just have to give the average buyer more credit when they read the reason why I have 1-Negative and try to be more business like and not take it too seriously-Stings though!

I never used to let stuff like this bother me-I have always tried to be polite-just my up-bringing and give that little extra-it's just lately as I'm getting older I find myself becoming more and more cynical with the human race and less tolerant-I guess it's time for me to "head for the hills!"

Thank you girls-I KNEW I would get great advise from my Farmgirl sisters!!

Melody
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2012 :  11:49:14 AM  Show Profile
I'm not experienced at these particular things but I will say that with selling horses we get scammers of all kinds. The scam usually goes that they want to send payment for the horse along with another 1000 or so to pay a shipper to bring the horse to them. Well you put the check in the bank and pay the shipper who isn't a shipper and their check bounces and they make of with $1000 of your money, or they want to transfer the money into your account but really all they are doing is getting your account info to wipe you out. Also sometimes people have a really wonderful looking horse that they are giving away and all you have to do is send them the money to ship it to you, well, no horse exists. I have managed to not get sucked into any of these so far. But we get about 2 of these type of scamming things every week concernig our horses we have for sale on the internet. So weigh it out cause this person may just be trying to intimidate you into extracting money. I'd tell her you were going above and beyond even to offer her her money back and your word is that the dishes come back intact and then you will refund her, that's all she's getting. period. But she may be just trying to get a check from you so she can gather info and scam your bank account. You might also tell her that she needs to remove the feedback because she has nothing to complain about if she gets her money back and if she leaves it then you might as well give her something to complain about. I would say for sure make sure her check or whatever didn't bounce or she didn't stop payment somehow and if you refund money do it by money order from the post office. Scammers will use intimidation techniques to chip away at you and extract as much info etc.. as they can and then sock it to ya. A few key red flags that we have seen are phrases like where can we pick up the item, concerning a horse? okaaay...scammer. Or they ask no questions about the horse, or they have foreign names, but of course that one can certainly be legit. But most of these scammers are in Africa. They will also greet you in God's name. Your dishes are fine, don't let them chip at your confidence concerning the deal. It's simple if she sends back the dishes in the condition they were sent to her and removes the nasty comment you will send her her money in the form of a money order. After you examine them. Regardless of what you have said that is the deal now, she can take it or leave it. No judge with half a brain would have a problem with that. And don't pay for her return shipping either, just pay for the shipping you already charged her. She needs to eat that, it was her mistake. You sent the product you promised to send.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2012 :  7:38:46 PM  Show Profile
Melody......I sell on etsy and when I see where someone has left a neg. it makes me think badly of that person. I personally would not worry about it. After a few more positives it will put you right back to 100%. And with 90 positives and 1 negative, who do you think looks bad? My vote goes to the neggy giver!! Just my opinion!

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com
http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2012 :  7:56:54 PM  Show Profile
I am going to go along with Jolly here, personally next time this happens I would let it go and stick to the no refund policy. I am NOT a seller, but always a buyer, I buy from any one with a more then 90 percent good feedback....so one negative one would not hinder my buying from you and like jolly said eventually it will go back up with more and more sales any how. I personally as a consumer understand you can't please 100 percent of the people, as was said there's always the bat crazy ones out there!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2012 :  9:43:57 PM  Show Profile
Listen...I heard from the "buyer" on Friday via email through my Etsy shop. She stated she just received my emails regarding the "kiss and make up" policy that I initiated through Etsy 7-days ago. She said she wanted to return the plates and once she gets her money she will change her negative feedback. I didn't respond trying to figure out what was going on and then this morning she emailed me saying she had already mailed the plates back on Saturday! I emailed her and told her in no uncertain terms that the when I receive the items back they will have to be in the condition that she received them or there wouldn't be a refund and that I wanted to know what the confirmation and delivery numbers were. I haven't heard from her at all today. Wow...this transaction keeps dragging on and on and I have a bad feeling that once she gets her refund she will not reverse the feedback. Anyway...that's how it stands as of today.

And Heather...I agree with you I will not reverse my policy on refunds-This is exactly the reason why I had No Refunds listed on each and every listing and also in my POLICY section. Too much grief...This has been a nightmare for me. I just wish I would have stuck to my guns about No Refunds and just dealt with the Negative feedback! Oh....and I made another sale and two other sellers on Etsy included my shop in their treasuries over the weekend-That made me feel a whole lot better!!

Melody
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2012 :  03:14:11 AM  Show Profile
Melody, I am glad to hear that this doesn't seem to affect your business! I think everyone knows there are a few sourpusses out there who are going to be difficult and you just take them with a grain of salt.

Best of luck seeing this through. It sounds like you are almost there.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2012 :  07:22:16 AM  Show Profile
Maybe we should all go to Melody's etsy and leave good comments.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2012 :  1:33:12 PM  Show Profile
it's a shame that "some people refuse to be nice, no matter what", I would just chalk it up to "such is life", and its even worse when some just go on and on with or without words, I would think ONE negative feedback wouldn't cause any problems with future buyers, and if it does, it was someone who you probally did not want to deal with anyway...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2012 :  1:36:44 PM  Show Profile
You're right. It seems lately as I get older, I find it harder and harder to be tolerant...I am just not the same sweet person I was 20 years ago-LOL!

Thanks Tina...

Melody
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Update!....Etsy buyer leaves negative feedback Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page