Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Grrr..frustrated with dh's boss and payday
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Grrr..frustrated with dh's boss and payday Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2012 :  06:51:08 AM  Show Profile
My husband works really hard in the restaurant industry as front house manager of a really neat place, that's even been featured on Food Network's Diners, Drive-in's and Dives.

Normally, he gets paid every Thursday (he is salaried), and the pay period is from Monday to Sunday, with 4 days to process checks with the payroll company.

Yesterday (Wednesday), his boss called him and said that effectively immediately, the payday was switching to Monday, so he would not get a check today as normal, but would get his paycheck this coming Monday. The simple fact that he didn't give any notice whatsoever is frustrating since I budget and have everything "sorted" out and split up between paychecks, but in reviewing his paystub (and the timeframe in which he is paid/pay period), it appears that, as a result of this, there would be about a weeks pay missing, and thus, his check SHOULD be larger this Monday, or, according to our payroll person who looked at his stubb, they might be witholding a week's pay that he would get up on leaving the company.

Obviously, he's VERY upset--and I guess I am, too. The money that I budgeted for everything this week is now going to be minimized by the fact that 2 bills that fall on next Saturday that were going to be paid with his NEXT paycheck, will now have to be paid from these two combined, which really makes us cash poor.

I'm just grateful it's my payday tomorrow because otherwise, with only $11.00 in the bank until Monday, it would be a really terrible weekend. We are definitely people who live paycheck to paycheck and have the little savings (the last $250.00 went to car repairs last week) and when you think, "I can stretch $11.00 until Thursday when he gets paid." and then there isn't going to be a payday, it could be really scary. So, I am, at least, thankful for my paycheck this week!!!!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2012 :  07:00:52 AM  Show Profile
Sorry to hear that Jonni. It sucks when other people have no problem playing around with your finances. I understand what it's like to have no money for a week. I always have books I need to read or yarn/material for projects that take a long time to complete for those lean times so I have something to pass the time.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://www.etsy.com/shop/BitsofEntropy?ref=si_shop
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Wauka Mountain Mama
True Blue Farmgirl

239 Posts

Fran
Fairburn Ga
USA
239 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2012 :  07:01:02 AM  Show Profile
That sucks soooo much, Jonni! I hope they at least give him the full amount of money so you can get everything back on track quickly!

My day job pulls crap like that every few months or so, only its because someone can't drive the checks out to our location on thurs like they promised so we're lucky to get it on Fri. A few times its been Monday & I've ended up getting late fees from some of my less forgiving bills. I'd quit but Iam at the point where I make too much money to afford to go back to starting pay at a different company. :(

Live simply. So that others may simply live.

http://waukamountainmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1501 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1501 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2012 :  07:12:44 AM  Show Profile
Sorry to hear that your family is having this trouble Jonni. My BF's company did this not long ago too, and it was very frustrating! That extra week of lag pay sure does throw a kink in things! Now we are just having to deal with his constantly changing schedule and numbers of hours worked. He has MS and can't work a full work week, so they have him on a part time schedule and he works rotating shifts so some weeks he has more hours than others. He was unemployed for almost two years awhile back, so we are very thankful he has a job with an an employer willing to resepect his disabilities, but juggling the finances when things are so close to the wire is always a challenge. Hope things smooth out for you again soon!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2012 :  09:26:04 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, that is terrible. I understand having to stretch your money and it is really hard. I am happy that you get paid this week. Restaurant work is so hard they should pay him extra just for being willing to work so hard.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2012 :  11:46:01 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for commiserating, girls--it's so frustrating when you have no control over the situation and you almost feel like it's personal instead of a business decision because it affects every thing you do, every decision you make about what can be paid "now" vs. "later". Unfortunately, nothing can be paid later! My husband said he didn't think the boss would have even told him about the change until he came in today, expecting a paycheck, had he not been there yesterday. That tells me that the owner was being cowardly about it and really didn't want to have to tell them so he waited until the last minute. As it stands, the other two salaried employees are going to have a pretty lean weekend and that's really unfair. They have rent, pets, and I'm sure it would be nice to order a pizza or something, or get a 6 of beer to wash off working in the hectic weekend restaurant biz!

@Fran, I think that's crazy that someone can't get your paycheck to you when it's payday--I know Georgia is big, but geez louize!

@Marilyn--I'm struggling with that. I'm very grateful we both work and have jobs, so I'm trying to remind myself the sky is NOT falling, it's just a little cloudy right now, but it's tough when we're not going to have much money to go on for at least another 10 days. I had it all worked out so nicely, too!!!

Thanks, Delicia--it really is hard work, and he works about 60 hours or more during the week and then can't turn it off when he's home, calling in, checking on things at the restaurant, etc. It's hard not to take it personally, but we'll get through. Thanks for letting me vent, girls!

Go to Top of Page

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2012 :  6:49:14 PM  Show Profile
Wow....talk about insensitive. I hate it when employers think they can jack people around. I understand things happen, but at least let a person know as soon as the decision is made so they can plan for it. I also understand that it's hard to tell your employees something they are not going to want to hear, but too bad darlin, that's part of owning a business. In the end, it's better to be straight forward with a person instead of waiting and making it worse...especially for the person who it's going to affect.

So sorry this is happening to you guys, Jonni, but I know you're a tough gal and you'll manage! So thankful you are getting your paycheck also!

Emily
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2012 :  07:26:47 AM  Show Profile
My husband has been out of steady work for 2 years now. He worked in the oil field. We have a water well service and a horse business. So our pay depends on 4 things now, if someones well needs fixed, if I sell a horse (and I'm picky about where they go), if someone wants a trail ride, or if I run fast enough to win a barrel race. So I could write a book on fluctuating finances...lol....mix in buying hay for 22 horses and vet emergencies....bleck. We go sometimes 2 months with no income ...0... but somehow God takes care of us all. My horses are fat and the sun comes up every morning. The thing is sometimes you have to beg for time from the bill collectors. Just be strong they will wait, they have to. And sometimes people beg time from us to pay for fixing their well. It's about patience and faith. And it isn't always easy. But it all comes out in the wash. Work hard, trust God, be kind it all comes back to you.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2012 :  08:39:02 AM  Show Profile
Laura,

That was beautifully said!
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2012 :  08:46:44 AM  Show Profile
I agree, Emily--I love Laura's post...I do feel very much that way, but together for the last 12 years, the part of me that is the most frustrated (by this) is that, after all these years of living the way you do, Laura, with income that comes and goes (or stays away for longer periods of time), this is the first year in which I have slept 95% of the month without waking up in a cold sweat wondering where the money will come from, after 12 years of being together. And I really like it. We're not rich by ANY margin, we can simply count on the same amount of $$$$ each payday to pay bills, I'm paying some of them down/off and that's all I've ever wanted. There is little extra in the end, but gosh darn, sleeping peacefully is worth every single penny. I'm only 38, but there have been some really lean times, really tough times that have made me...really tired. Always the one with the "steady" income, not really in love with my job, I get tired or being tired. So this year has been a relief for me--the consistency is addictive, honestly--there is actually a budget that we can stick to and so, when this came up, it was like the rug was pulled out from under me that I'd been standing firmly on and well, change for some of us (me in particular) isn't easy :)

Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2012 :  09:36:16 AM  Show Profile
Johnni, not to add additional anxienty to your financial situation but my first response on reading this was, is the company in financial difficulties themselves? In my experience that's a big reason a company switches it's payday, especially without notice. The only other reason to switch paydays is because of a complete accounting switch. For your sake I hope things are OK with the restaurant. In my 35 years of marriage, we've been in this situation more times than I care to remember. I think Laura's advice of "Work hard, trust God, be kind it all comes back to you" is (pardon the pun) right on the money! AFter many years of trying to give myself an ulcer, I finally stopped worrying about how we will pay our bills and gave it all over to God. He's has alwasy provided a way for us so why would he stop now? Just know you are not alone in the feelings you are experiencing.

Audrey

http://prairiecairncottage.blogspot.com/
Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2012 :  7:05:26 PM  Show Profile
I exactly know what you mean Jonni. We have always had a hard time all the time my kids were growing up and then for a while things were better and we experienced more job and financial security and then there were times that things would shift in the oil field and hubby would be out of work. It would usually last about 3 months and it was scary cause you are thinking that you might not have the strength to go through it again. And in our case it would effect my hubbys personality and I would feel like I was facing hell all over again. But guess what... he finally learned that he can't let his moods go with whether things are going well at work or not and he is so much stronger and sweet no matter what. And through that we both have learned a different kind of security. But I promise you I have those nights too of, well, bewilderment. Especially when there is 2 ft of snow on the ground, no work and 22 pairs of horse eyes looking to me for their next meal. And I think what have I gotten myself into here. But I have learned to patiently wait it out. And after all only 12 of those horses are technically mine the rest are my 3 grown daughter's horses, but still.... Our horses are very fast and have unbelievable bloodlines and we are always looking forward to making it big with them in time, but they are still pretty young for the most part. But there are times when it takes so much time and effort just to juggle the stupid bills. Feels like a full time job at times. I was thinking about your situation though and if the boss is being a little elusive about things maybe he is facing some financial problems with his business and just doesn't know how to deal with it with his workers. It sounds like your hubby is very talented and maybe this is a sign that he should look elsewhere for employment. Or start your own business. That is if you think your marriage is up for that, cause being a business owner can put a lot of strain on a marriage. Also a good time to pray for his boss maybe. But all you ladies facing tough times keep your spirits up. And remember you are worth something and sometimes these things can be a step up to something better. I prefer to view problems as puzzles and to look outside the box. Maybe sell something or do an odd job to get by for a few days till things get better. In the meantime one can make even more connections that lead to other things eventually. Put up some fliers around and do some critter/ house sitting. Or wherever your talents lie.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2012 :  07:15:06 AM  Show Profile
I don't understand why employers do that either. Even in the trucking industry, I've never understood why the companies treat their drivers like poop. Then I found out the financial side to having a nice turnover of truckers, coming and going through the front doors. There is a whole scam, erm, sorry, REASON the companies do this!! Or pay their employees a certain way, like 'mailing the check on Friday' to you instead of handing it to you on Friday. I understand that in capitalism, the companies first responsibility is to the shareholders but it sure messes with us who work for the company!!

Laura is one smart cookie, I say read what she says and take to heart!! (No, I'm not sucking up, she only beat me to the punch and I have less typing!!)

My website: http://antlersantiqueswindchimes.weebly.com

Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2012 :  8:52:08 PM  Show Profile
Oh Jonni, I hink we've all been there (or still are) at one time or another. It stinks! Agree with all of the above but wanted to give you a BIG hug (and one for hubby too.) After all, hugs are still free. LOL Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Grrr..frustrated with dh's boss and payday Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page