Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Fabric called "Russian Crash?"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Fabric called "Russian Crash?" Next Topic  

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3320 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3320 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2012 :  3:01:38 PM  Show Profile
Anyone ever hear of this type of fabric?

I just bought a hand-embroidered in French no less...vintage redwork tablecloth with various french scenes etc. and the material is a very stiff-off-white rough kind of fabric that feels like it's been pressed within an inch of it's life...My MIL who stopped by said the fabric was ...what I think she said was "Crash?" I looked on the net and it sounds like it might be just that.

The tablecloth has two red fine stripes running through the length of the material and there are initials of the embroiderer on the very far right of the tablecloth-It's just gorgeous-

I mentioned to my MIL that maybe I could wash the starchiness out of the tablecloth and she said that was just the way the fabric is.

Any information about this type of fabric,how to care for it, and how to get it a little softer would be greatly appreciated!

Talk to me ladies--

Melody
Farmgirl #525

country treasure
True Blue Farmgirl

452 Posts

judy
SK
Canada
452 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2012 :  4:07:56 PM  Show Profile
Hi Melody,
Very interesting! Can you post a picture?
Judy

country wishes!
Go to Top of Page

GirlwithHook
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Alyce
Madison WI
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2012 :  2:28:52 PM  Show Profile
Quick Google search says it is made out of linen. I guess tht would explain the stiffness! It sounds pretty.

A hook, a book, and a good cup of coffee....
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2012 :  4:36:25 PM  Show Profile
"Crash" was typically used in the 19th century and into the 1900s on wooden floors to prevent shoe damage during balls, cotillions and so on. It was stiff linen, almost like sail cloth or even canvas. People danced around on it, so it had to be sturdy and not prone to tearing under the weight of pirouetting partners :)
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2012 :  6:03:14 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for this topic, Melody. I enjoyed looking up info on it and learning about it. I'm sure I've seen it before, and never new what it was! Your tablecloth sounds wonderful!

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Fabric called "Russian Crash?" Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page