princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - May 29 2012 :  4:49:52 PM  Show Profile
I am new to the world of chickens. WE have 6 right now. Al of a sudden today one of my younger ones (1 year old) is acting weird. I tossed a pile of veggies in the run and she just stood there. Usually she attacks with the rest of the group.

Just a bit ago, I went to close up the coop for the night and she is on the roost, but kind of standing funny and looking around.

Any ideas what could be happening? She is acting like she has been spooked by something. She doesn't seem to be in pain. Just not as feisty as normal.

Maybe I am over-reacting.
Thanks
Arttie

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - May 29 2012 :  7:41:27 PM  Show Profile
When 1 of my chickens acts a little droopy I put them in a quiet place at room temperature. Let them live in an uncovered box in peace for a couple of days and usually they recover. There are so many things that can make them sick that I just treat it all the same and baby them and it usually works. Maybe a little tetracycline or vitamin powder in their water.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - May 29 2012 :  8:31:40 PM  Show Profile
have you been having the hot days like we have had here in MA?.......sometimes they will get overly hot & then get slow....check tomorrow to see how she walks...she may be having egg or gizzard problems that have also made her not feel well.....if she is still doing this in the morning I would recommend putting her somewhere quiet by herself with some feed & water for the day...check on her often....it won't hurt to give her some cool foods like yogurt or cream or milk mixed with her feed......if super hot add a few ice cubes to her water.....just because you just noticed her this does not mean it just started...most of the time by the time a chicken gets sick & you notice they have already been sicky for a few days but just haven't shown it........like Laura says baby her a bit......sometimes they just need a day of quiet away from everyone else in the coop & spoiled a bit....Michele'

Chickens RULE!
hen #2622
theoldbatzfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - May 30 2012 :  03:33:26 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much for the advice. I will put her in a seperate area. we have had some hot weather and then all of a sudden yesterday it got cold/rainy. I do usually find her alone under a pine tree in the back yard. So maybe she needs some quiet time.

thanks again
Arttie
Go to Top of Page

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - May 30 2012 :  07:21:51 AM  Show Profile
Ok.... so I just went out and checked on my chickens. She was in the nesting box and passed a weird looking egg (sort of). They yolk was slimy and the shell was not hard at all, but was like a soft icky membrane. It slimed through the grates of the nesting box. I cleaned it up.....yuck.

Anyone else have this happen? Like I said, I new to the chickens, and if I need to do something for her I want to do it right away. The thought of having any animal in pain or hurt really bothers me.

thanks
Arttie
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - May 30 2012 :  3:18:04 PM  Show Profile
this did not hurt her, she laid a under developed egg...when stressed, over heated, too cold, scared by something this can & will happen ever so often...do not worry about her being hurt...she got the egg out so thats good......a under developed egg is better than a stuck egg...so I am sure she is a happy girl now & it should help her get her egg laying back to normal.......I notice mine tend to have the 'soft' shell eggs when the weather is super hot & they are drinking more water than feed......do make sure if you can to up the calcium for her ........oyster shells, canned salman or even a bit of tuna in water.....give the water to her as well.......you did nothing wrong here so do not feel at fault for this....they are one of the hardest animals to tend to as they get sicky at the drop of a hat.......but I can tell you will be a wonderful chicken mom by what you have wrote & that you really notice when something is off with one.....:)....Michele'

Chickens RULE!
hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - May 30 2012 :  8:26:45 PM  Show Profile
Yup Arttie's a good chicken mom :)
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - May 31 2012 :  03:51:08 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone. She is doing much better. Back to her normal self. I love the chickens. We just got them this year and they have been so much fun. Although we get the eggs from them, the entertainment value is great.

We ended up getting 6 very lovable girls. And even though Hubby said "Do NOT name the food!" They all have names and become part of the pet family. ;>)

Thanks
Arttie
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - May 31 2012 :  08:03:38 AM  Show Profile
I've had the best luck giving them some tetracycline or animal electrolytes (I got the electrolytes from the feed mill and tetracycline from tractor supply) and separating them from the rest of the flock for a day or two.

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - May 31 2012 :  2:06:56 PM  Show Profile
oh good point Krystle I get the baby electrolytes at the drug store down the street for mine when it gets hot....its already made & I get the unflavored kind...much easier for me than trying to mix it up correctly...lol......I try to do a bottle or two in ice cube trays that I can just add one cube or so to each water container each day....I also do this for my cats.....
Arttie...am soooo happy to here your little girl is doing good & back to her normal henny self :)...Michele'

Chickens RULE!
hen #2622
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Chicken question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page