351 Posts

Tracey
TN
USA
351 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2006 :  4:59:01 PM  Show Profile
New here!!

I am Tracey, farmgirl wannabe, LOL!!
My dh and I have 5 children, 10 bunnies, 1 cat (and soon to have 2 more kittens), 4 fish and 4 beehives.

We live on 2 wooded acres, in a neighborhood. Our dream is to have about 10 acres, mostly wooded, with a stream. We want to move both our mothers (in their own houses on the land) with us and they are game for it too. Just waiting for the right opportunities to arise.

Being vegetarian, I love my veg gardens but since moving onto this wooded land, I have only gotten to do some container tomatoes and peppers but now starting my spinach, lettuces and other greens.

Excited to find this forum.

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2006 :  6:01:35 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Tracey!!
I am glad you found us!! How fun to have beehives! I have always found bees so interesting. I am really allergic or I would have them for sure!! I think Tennessee is so pretty. When visiting my oldest son, when he lived in Kentucky 4 years ago we saw a little of Tennessee too. It will be fun to get to know you here!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

flowerchild
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Erica
Oregon
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2006 :  6:41:26 PM  Show Profile  Send flowerchild an AOL message
Hi Tracey! Welcome :) Wow- 10 bunnies! Do you raise them for anything in particular, or just for the fun of it? I second what Jenny said- how fun to have the bees! I would love to learn more about what it takes/what's involved with beekeeping- would sure cut down on our expense for raw, unheated honey! So high! I've never actually been stung, so that aspect would be interesting..
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2006 :  6:42:55 PM  Show Profile
Welcome, Tracey! I'd say you have moved past wannabe and into a practicing farmgirl!!
Like Jenny, glad you found us.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2006 :  6:51:25 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
Welcome to the group I do not think there is such thing as a wannabe farmgirl if you are doing the things you are doing. Now if you just dreamed sure wannabe. I think you are a farmgirl.

Once again welcome
sunshine

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my other web store http://vintagethreads.etsy.com/
my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

~Tracey~
True Blue Farmgirl

351 Posts

Tracey
TN
USA
351 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2006 :  7:51:55 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the warm welcome!! I said wannabe because I dream of being so much more farmgirl-like. Gotta have dreams!!

My dh inherited all the bee equipment from his dad. He is hoping to move more hives onto my Uncle's farm next Spring with a grant from the state. We harvested 120 pounds of nice med-dark honey this year!! I was really proud of my dh (he does all the work since our children are younger and at home all day- no time for getting in the bees with babies around ;).

We have 10 bunnies be cause we are crazy. Bunny #1 was a gift to our dd, Katie-8yo, almost 4 years ago, a male named Angelina-poor thing. We adopted bunny #2 from a family that couldn't keep it anymore. We found out quickly that she was a female. She had 5 babies the first time and we found homes for them. We didn't know that bunnies could mate the same day they gave birth, we found out exactly 31 gestational days later with 8 more sweet babies. They are all but 1 going to a nearby farm (the mama is going too). So no, no particular reason. We are really happy to have had the experience with seeing the mama prepare for the 2nd birth, I tried to stay up all night to watch but couldn't, also watching her nurse and care for the babies. Just a wonderful life experience for all of us.

Thanks again for the wonderful farmgirl welcome.

Tracey,
mama to Callum 13, Katie 8, Wil 5.5, Benjamin 3 in 10 days and Andrew 6 months

Edited by - ~Tracey~ on Sep 19 2006 7:52:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2006 :  8:17:49 PM  Show Profile
Welcome to the group Tracey!

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

PinCurlGirl
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Iisha
Hillsborough NJ
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2006 :  8:53:01 PM  Show Profile
Hi Tracey!! I'm in NJ currently, but will be heading back to Sewanee in January to teach at the Univ. of the South for a semester (not far from Tullahoma)! Sounds like you're having great fun and I really like that area myself, would love to stay longer than a semester...we'll see ; ) Perhaps we'll meet then and can swap farmgirl stories and info. Take care, Iisha
The Pin Curl Girl
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2006 :  8:58:33 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Tracey! Welcome!!! I'd sure say that you're both a farmgirl at heart, and a farmgirl at home! I just know you are going to love it here - these women are fantastic. Glad to have you - Enjoy!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

MamaHumbird
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Holly
Cleveland Missouri
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2006 :  9:35:31 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Tracey! I am new here myself and the feeling of being so welcomed is unbelieveable. I have family from Tennessee, if I didn't grow up here in Missouri that is where I would be, it is so beautiful. How lucky you are to have 5 wonderful kids. I have 4 right now but I am ready for 5 and maybe 6. Big family, farms, gardens, it all seems like a fabulous life to me.

Holly
Go to Top of Page

~Tracey~
True Blue Farmgirl

351 Posts

Tracey
TN
USA
351 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2006 :  10:56:22 PM  Show Profile
Libbie, I like how you said that!! I will have to keep that in mind when I don't feel as though I am where I want to be but know I am where I need to be!!

Holly, I LOVE having a large family!! Sounds like you do too!! Dh and I had the "do we want/need more children" conversation tonight. Of course we would welcome more but we are both 37 this year and just not sure of the answers to the questions right now so we are not going to worry too much about it. Nursing is the best birth control :)!!

Thanks again for the warm welcome. I am really liking the boards!!

Tracey,
mama to Callum 13, Katie 8, Wil 5.5, Benjamin almost 3 and Andrew 6 months!!
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  4:39:44 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Tracey,
Somehow I missed welcoming you! So Welcome!!!! I am so glad you found us! I look forward to getting to know you better as I see you around!!
Hugz,
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

Kelly43
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

NJ
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  04:55:23 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Tracey!! Your family sounds wonderful and I love the names. Am very happy you found us. You are going to fit right in, hope you find that 10 acres. I think your dream of having the mothers close at hand is perfect. That's the way life should be if you can do it, surrounded by people who love you. You'll find that here.
Kel
Go to Top of Page

~Tracey~
True Blue Farmgirl

351 Posts

Tracey
TN
USA
351 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  09:02:37 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Talitha and Kel!! I think I am making myself at home so far ;). Such a comfy place to be here at MJF!!

Tracey,
Go to Top of Page

farmgirlfriday
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Brooke
Puryear TN
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  4:59:50 PM  Show Profile  Send farmgirlfriday an AOL message  Send farmgirlfriday a Yahoo! Message
Hiya Tracey!
Another gal from TN! I will be moving back home to Puryear (near Paris) in a little over a month...and would love to get together with other farmgirls from TN!
Best,
Brooke

"it's a bloody mary morning"
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  5:26:39 PM  Show Profile
welcome tracey .. you keep dreaming gurlfren .. it will come true! xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

MamaHumbird
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Holly
Cleveland Missouri
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  8:37:27 PM  Show Profile
Tracey, I am interested in hearing more about the bee hives. I would love to have some but my kids are petrified of them. Which is odd since they have all been raised in the country. My husband and I have been having the same conversation about wanting more kids. You are young don't let age stop you. I am 32 and my husband is 42. We had 2 each from previous marriages and 2 together. A word of advice, nursing is not a form of birth control. I got pregnant twice while nursing! I have 2 sets of kids that are 15 months apart. Good luck looking for that 10 acres.
Holly
Go to Top of Page

~Tracey~
True Blue Farmgirl

351 Posts

Tracey
TN
USA
351 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  8:47:20 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by MamaHumbird

I got pregnant twice while nursing! I have 2 sets of kids that are 15 months apart.

Oh my goodness, yes, I should have said that it is the best birth control for me!! My younger four are each (exactly) 2.5 years apart. That is how my body does it so it is funny because we have pretty much known each time that we were pregnant. I wouldn't mind having 1 more closer in age than the others but just not sure if it is baby lust or a real "our family will be complete with x number" sort of thing ;).

The bees are wonderful to have around and even though my children used to be scared of invasive flying critters, they are not any more. Honey bees are quite gentle, except when the honey is being robbed. We will sit (in Spring) and watch the wonder of what little we can see going on. The bees never cease to amaze us with what they do. Simply a marvelous creature, the bee!!

Tracey,
Go to Top of Page

~Tracey~
True Blue Farmgirl

351 Posts

Tracey
TN
USA
351 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  8:51:33 PM  Show Profile
Brooke, I googled where Paris is and we are a pretty far distance for afternoon tea, drat. But maybe we can plan a Southern or just a TN farmgirl gathering sometime. Not sure how many other TN women are here!! Thanks for the welcome.

Frannie, don't you know it!! dreaming is the best way to make things happen (and of course, letting dh what I am dreaming of so he can help make it happen ;))

Tracey,
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Hi from Middle Tennessee Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page