ModernishHomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

58 Posts

Amy
Colorado
USA
58 Posts

Posted - May 24 2012 :  7:10:24 PM  Show Profile
I've read the whole series all the way through twice now, and some books 3-4 times. The first time I read it I actually had them read to me by my mother on a summer road trip. We got through Little House in the Big Woods, Little House on the Prairie and On the Banks of Plum Creek in the one trip, and continued through the rest of the series when we got home. I distinctly remember the description of Mary and Laura's pigtails and night caps inspiring me to put my underwear on mine and my sister's heads and to then pull our hair through the leg holes pigtail style . . . and to turn our regular fort building into a wagon train.

The second time a read the series through was in college, the summer I was a dorm RA and had to work in the office for 5 hours a day with nothing to do but watch the first season of House in re-runs and to read. (I also read the whole Chronicles of Narnia and all of Winnie the Pooh that summer).

I have not doubt that these books have quite I bit to do with where I am now . . . in library school for children's services (because children's literacy and literature matter!) and pining for a homestead of my own.

(Oh, and a libertarian - did you know that Rose Wilder Lane was one of the founders of the libertarian party?)

I'm guessing that some of you have similar fond memories of this books series - so share away my fellow bonnet heads! I'd love to hear your stories! :D

***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***
I'm just a 20-something girl making a home for me (and my dog) and waiting for the family to fill it!

---

modernishhomemaker.blogspot.com
---
outdooramy.blogspot.com

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - May 24 2012 :  8:04:22 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
We are getting ready to do Praire Primer in our homeschool. It is a study that uses the Little House books.

You can go to my Morganic Institute blog to see our progres. (the link is in my signature)

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

www.flossesandcrosses.blogspot.com

www.morganicinstitute.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Nana Shirl
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Shirley
Kit Carson Colorado
USA
352 Posts

Posted - May 25 2012 :  10:43:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Nana Shirl a Yahoo! Message
Amy..my daughter also home schools....2 boys 13 ,16...They have done some really great things..now they are older and have there own subjects the WANT to study..lol...My daughter loved and still does love Little House..we even took her to DeSmit S D to see the lille house...and she was already married but loved it!!! thanks for sharing..and I may check out the blog..Blessings

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Nana Shirl
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Shirley
Kit Carson Colorado
USA
352 Posts

Posted - May 25 2012 :  10:48:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Nana Shirl a Yahoo! Message
Oh and "20" somethin Amy...you sound so much like my daughter when she was younger...she still loves her books n libraries notebooks pens n such...She is a joy and her daughter is as well...we have a lot of fun when we are together...You sound like a delightful young woman...Blessings

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2012 :  5:53:40 PM  Show Profile
O bought one book last week here, at a second hand store yippee. LOVE them and had the complete serie when I still lived in the Netherlands. Had to do away with all my books when I moved here unfortunately. Last week I saw one...The Long Winter and snapped it up lol. I will try to get the whole serie, will have to look at the many many second hand bookstores here...hopefully I will be able to find them all again

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hugs from Marian/Dutchy

http://pinkprincessinthailand.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2012 :  10:59:47 AM  Show Profile
Laura is my hero. In our little school in the 50's we had only Little House in the Big Woods. I had no idea there were others. I read that one several times. When I started reading to my oldest daughter, I discovered the rest of the books. I was in heaven. I have gotten everything I could find that was written by Laura or about her. Would love to visit Mansfield and see her house.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Little House Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page