Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Ozark Sundrop! My new favorite native plant!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Ozark Sundrop! My new favorite native plant! Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 24 2012 :  06:04:02 AM  Show Profile
Each year I like to add native plants to my flower garden. I have exhausted the colors of coneflowers one can have, I think, and I was looking for something really different when I came across this:

Like most natives, it's drought resistant and likes full sun. I noticed a bloom a few days ago (which looks like something from the deep woods. The green and purple speckled "sleeve" actually slips off and this gorgeous, bright yellow bloom is revealed. Somewhat waxy, the card says "fragrant" but don't be fooled by that--it was fragrant, for sure, but only for attracting pollinators! Not a pretty smell whatsoever, but it is truly my new favorite perennial I've planted this season.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 24 2012 :  08:16:46 AM  Show Profile
Nice color! I've never heard of the plant. Thanks for the picture.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 24 2012 :  08:34:46 AM  Show Profile
Apparently, Marly, it's common name is Missouri Evening Primrose and is native to Kansas, MO, etc. I really love it and there are several blooms waiting to open! The blooms are the size of large petunias. Just so bright and cheerful!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 24 2012 :  09:33:22 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for that info Jonni. I'd love to see a picture of several blooms together.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - May 25 2012 :  12:25:21 AM  Show Profile
Oh Jonni, I have never heard of that plant before. It is so sweet and pretty!
Thanks for sharing the picture with us.

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be His!
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Ozark Sundrop! My new favorite native plant! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page