Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 trouble banding one of the goats
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic trouble banding one of the goats Next Topic  

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - May 22 2012 :  08:43:42 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone ever had an issue with banding a goat? We have one who we just can't seem to get done. He's plenty old enough (a couple months old) and his brother was banded without issue two weeks ago. We seem to be having an issue with getting both testicles to drop. Without going into too much details, when we're not banding, they're both there...but when we go to band, one "disappears" (regardless of what we do), if you know what I'm saying. It was suggested to me that we just wait, he's not ready and both need to be fully down before we can band correctly. The problem is, however, that he's spending all his time mounting EVERYTHING and just being obnoxious, we'd like to get him banded. Anyone ever have this issue before?

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com

Megan
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Megan
Hudson South Dakota
USA
155 Posts

Posted - May 22 2012 :  09:25:00 AM  Show Profile
not with a goat but with horses, i had a vet come out to cut a horse and he had difficultly find both of them. But dad said to massage them till they dropped??? might be worth a try?

www.rockriverexoticsandkennel.net
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - May 22 2012 :  09:32:41 AM  Show Profile
Anything is worth a try. :) Thanks for the advice. These are our first two goats and I had a friend tell me that in the last month we've encountered every possible issue a young goat could have...except death. I guess they are breaking us in fast!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

MiaBella
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Michelle
New Caney TX
USA
100 Posts

Posted - May 22 2012 :  12:01:55 PM  Show Profile
We always ended up with at least 1 buck kid having an infection from banding so we stopped doing it and just cut them. They heal up fine after you spray some betadine on them and it is a lot quicker. You still need both testes, so someone needs to hold the little dude down while the person doing the cutting massages his "sac" until both are present.

Michelle
Farmgirl Sister #4097

MiaBella Farm
New Caney, TX
www.miabellafarm.com
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - May 22 2012 :  12:15:15 PM  Show Profile
It sounds to me like he is a little too old to cut. When they are a few days old its not hard to cut them but at his age it will be a LOT of bleeding. I would say to continue trying to band him. I used to raise dairy goats ( and still have a couple)but I have never seen anything like you are talking about, however I now raise horses and I have learned that stallions can retract their testicles up inside their selves if they feel threatened. In fact they can just retract one side if they feel threatened on that side. I have to wonder if maybe goats can do the same. But like I said I have never seen it in goats, but have seen stallions do it. Maybe you have a gifted goat...Lol. If he is going to be a whether and is going to be for meat anyway then maybe you should just sell him as a buck while he is still little and let someone else decide what they are going to do with him. Good luck.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - May 22 2012 :  12:28:38 PM  Show Profile
LOL - Laura, a gifted goat. I'll let him know you said that. :) He already thinks he's God's gift to the barnyard!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - May 22 2012 :  1:40:21 PM  Show Profile
I have always cut my bucks, less chance of infection and when you are only seeing 1 testy on the outside, you can make sure the other is not pulled-up and hideing , and it can be done at any age...as far as a non-dropped testy, it happens in goats/sheep/horses and dogs, it is called "proud cut", all buck/ram/stud etc instinct is there, they will breed and fight with other whole males, but a resulting pregnacy almost never happens, cause sperm can not survive the internal body heat...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - May 22 2012 :  1:56:01 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the information, tina. "Proud cut" - that makes sense!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic trouble banding one of the goats Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page