Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - May 19 2012 :  5:42:18 PM  Show Profile
I got a baby duckling from the Big R store around the first week in April. He seemed fine in the store, got him home and he would walk around in circles. I thought he was just freaked out being in a new place. Hubby named him "Wrongway". Well he has progressively gotten worse, to the point where he cant stand or get up on his own. I have to hold him upright to eat and drink. I looked on line and all I can find that might cause this is a Niacin or Thiamin diffency (sp?). So starting last weekend, I've been giving him some vitamins with every feeding and some Niacin.
I'm not even sure I'm on the right track! Does anyone know what could be wrong with my Wrongway? He is so precious, It just hurts my heart to see him like this.

Thanks for any help!
Hugs, Lu

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
http://luzy.etsy.com- My etsy store!

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - May 19 2012 :  6:41:24 PM  Show Profile
I've had chicks do that cause one leg pushes back too far. If that is the case you might be able to splint it in a way that keeps it forward. My daughter did this with a duck. It didn't help my chicks but it did help her duck. She taped a little piece of cardboard or something on its foot to make it bigger so it didn't flop back under its body. It could be that you need to provide better traction for it to walk on because if the footing is too slick and the duck has a little weakness on one side already then it will start circling and the one leg will get progressively worse.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - May 20 2012 :  08:18:12 AM  Show Profile
sounds like it is a neuro problem, if so...it's a wait and see...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Megan
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Megan
Hudson South Dakota
USA
155 Posts

Posted - May 21 2012 :  07:53:03 AM  Show Profile
we had a guinea last year named top because all hi did to move from on place to another was run in small circles. He lived for 5 months then we just found him dead one morning doing chores. We had a vet tell us it had to be a neuro problem and to kill it, but we wanted to see if he could like a full like.

www.rockriverexoticsandkennel.net
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - May 21 2012 :  09:28:56 AM  Show Profile
Sounds Neuro Luanne, and I read a lot about ducks. Keep up the niacin and the vitamins, if anything will help (barring a physical defect) it will be that. Some ducks suffer more from lack of niacin than others. Clear Laura's advice first, then just continue with the diet.

~*~ http://silverstarfamilyfarm.blogspot.com/ ~*~

“When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.”
~Erma Bombeck
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - May 22 2012 :  5:47:33 PM  Show Profile
Well, I took Wrongway and his buddy Soupy for a little swim to see how he'd do. He failed. I'm so sad. I'm still giving him vitamins and niacin, but no improvement. He does try something new in that when I'm holding him upright to eat and drink, he sort of tries to jump or thrust upward. But he still rolls over to his side. He's still VERY strong and he really scratched my arm with a toenail during swim class today! OUCH!!
Does anyone know how long it might take to get his Niacin back on track? I really appreciate all the info and thanks for caring about my Wrongway.
Hugs, Lu

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
http://luzy.etsy.com- My etsy store!
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - May 23 2012 :  11:21:26 PM  Show Profile
Hi...I was looking online to see if I could find any additional info. The thiamine deficiency is mentioned, but also on a posting for the same issue regarding a baby chicken, it mentioned they read in "The Chicken Health Handbook" by Gail Damerow that chicks act like this when they are allergic to the litter laid in the bottom of the brooder and to change the litter to something else and keep the chick separate. Perhaps this is also true for a baby duck??
Good Luck. It has got to be hard to watch. I still remember when my new puppy got lock jaw. That was a tough one.
Best to you. Which I knew the answer but maybe this is a clue.
Annie
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Dizzy Duckling...HELP!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page