Author **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Hi from Bend, Oregon! Next Topic  

flowerchild
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Erica
Oregon
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2006 :  10:23:52 AM  Show Profile  Send flowerchild an AOL message
Hi to everyone! About Me: My husband and 2 boys (ages 14 and 7) currently live and work in Central Oregon. We currently own a Ballroom Dance Studio but dream of owning our own land and having a small farm. Thankfully, I am able to have a small garden where we live, and a greenhouse, however the short growing seasons where we are make for some frustration as far as actually harvesting what I plant!

My husband grew up on a dairy farm, and for some reason I have always desparately wanted to farm, so we look forward to making it a reality. Right now we are just reading, and reading and looking around trying to learn as much as we can and prepare ourselves the best we can at this point for when the time is "right" for us to make the move.

So far, I've managed to learn to successfully, knit, crochet, can, jam, freeze, and dry foods, learning to sew- (should have stuck with it after high school!)make yogurt, kefir, kefir cheese, etc etc..but there is SO MUCH more I want to learn about! Ultimately, we want to be fairly self sustainable, and fairly simple in our lifestyle- including continuing to incorperate organic in as much as possible and learning about incorperating solar, and biodiesal into our life as well.

Whew- that just tumbled out into quite alot of babbling about myself!
Anyway, SOOOOO happy to have come across MaryJane's website several months ago, LOVE the backpacking meals (husband enjoyed a bit of heaven the first time he got to take them backpacking, not only in taste but ease and lightness of carrying), love the magazine, and just know I will enjoy the farmgirl connection as well!

Happy Day-
Erica

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2006 :  10:37:40 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to the forum Erica! You certainly a Jane-of-all-trades!
I think you are right about being prepared- farming is not something you can just jumo into. I have been reading up a ton of info myself and trying to convince my husband that we can do this!
Look forward to getting to know you better.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2006 :  10:54:57 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Nice to meet you, Erica. I am new here too...stumbled in after reading about half of MaryJanes book. If you haven't read it already, it's so worth the time! Kudos on your farmgirl prep. I am working on all that too, although I already live in the country. We call our place a practice homestead and it is sure giving us an education! I'm looking forward to getting to know you!

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2006 :  2:08:13 PM  Show Profile
WElcome to the group Erica!! Sounds like you have a great start toward knowing all the farmgirl stuff to be self sustaining..that is wonderful!
I think you will really like it here..and it sure will be fun to get to know you here..don't be shy!!!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2006 :  2:13:43 PM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
Welcome Erica! I'm your neighbor in Dundee! Welcome to the forum!

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2006 :  2:27:47 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Erica!

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2006 :  3:19:09 PM  Show Profile
Hi Erica and welcome to the group,
Sounds like you'll love it here!
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2006 :  3:29:57 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Erica,
Welcome!! So glad you found us! You will love it here! I am "learning" my way to my dream farm as well! But so many here have it already or are living it where they are and they are caring and friendly and oh so helpful!! And than of course there is the fun and friendship that can not be beat!! So get comfy and join in! I always wanted to learn ball room dancing! Maybe one day... I wish you the very best in your plans and learning and am always wishing hard for all here to achieve our dreams!
Hugz,
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2006 :  3:58:41 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I like your screen name flower child that is what my old neighbotr use to call me. A ballroom studio way cool a few years back for fun my husband and I took ballroom classes a t the local JC for no credit ( so we could have fun and not worry about a grade) We called it out date night. Had a blast.

welcome to the group
sunshine

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my other web store http://vintagethreads.etsy.com/
my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2006 :  10:01:46 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Erica!!! Bend is a pretty area of Oregon. I'm in the Silverton/Molalla area. Your goals seem very similar to mine. Keep dreaming and learning and growing.

Carla

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.
Go to Top of Page

tsalagi
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Jo
Cedar Park TX
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2006 :  07:47:36 AM  Show Profile
Hi Erica! Welcome to the group! I just signed up, too, and everyone has made me feel right at home already! Glad you're here!

Jo

!! Imagine !!
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2006 :  9:01:00 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Erica - Welcome! A ballroom dance studio?!?!?! How wonderful! I have taken various dance lessons throughout my life, from ballet to belly to flamenco, and I just love to move that way - I happen to think that flamenco dancing through the lambing pens is VERY farmgirl-like!

I just know you'll find inspiration and friendship here - as well as some wonderful information. Welcome!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

MamaHumbird
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Holly
Cleveland Missouri
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2006 :  9:43:24 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Erica! You will fit right in here. I am new myself and I am very interested in alot of what you said. I am so jealous about your greenhouse, I work at one part time but would love to have one of my own for my personal flowers and garden. I myself am looking into solar alternatives as well as biodiesel. It isn't something you can do overnight but it is nice to know that you are not alone out there and have people with the same dreams that you can share with. Look forward to hearing more from you!

Holly
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Hi from Bend, Oregon! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page