Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills
 Running the farm alone!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Running the farm alone!! Next Topic  

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - May 08 2012 :  09:08:17 AM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
Thank God for the sisterhood you guys are all so inspiring, sometimes when its only you doing all the work, it can become very overwhelming, and you have those poor me days, but the sisterhood helps pull you out of it. I thought it might be good to exchange stories how we manage to keep up doing it solo. Roxanna

, I know I could use some helpful hints! Roxanna

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - May 08 2012 :  09:27:10 AM  Show Profile
One day at a time. I am not totally alone but for 21 of the 30 days a month do it all.
Today I fixed the drywall in the basement that he did not want to change because it would require to much work 15 Min's and it was done. I am going to the garage to build shelves to hold a bunch of things piled in the corner that you can't get to any of it. But he is strong enough to move it all at once so he doesn't see why it is a problem. So I do what I can and save the really hard stuff for him riding the mower to mow the yard.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - May 08 2012 :  09:37:55 AM  Show Profile
I sure understand all this...boy have I done stupid things like move a frig from the shop into the house cause no one was around to help me & I got mad...lol...but I have learned with age & the hard ways like mentioned above that its just something I have to do sometimes....My hubby spent time in Iraq & in Afghanistan so I learned to do what I needed & blew off the rest if I felt it was just something I wanted to do but was not that important....Hubby usually will help after I yell thur the house for him to come help me...but sometimes I get the attitude so I have grown to prefer to just go it alone if I can handle it....But after almost of 20 yrs of marriage the Afghanistan stay changed him & now he no longer seems to get so mad or frustrated when I need his help plus the moving of the frig & an antique wood cook stove messed up my shoulder so he knows to do certain things I will re-damage it & be helpless for up to 6 months or more.....plus I have had to learn that even though I am super independent & need to at times give up my pride & ask for help...though I will say its the hardest thing for me to do......Michele'

Chickens RULE!
hen #2622
theoldbatzfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - May 08 2012 :  11:01:43 AM  Show Profile
Being alone up here in Alaska is an experience. Guys in the church would help but the question is when do they have the time? They are doing their own work. If it is a really heavy project I can get my DD or DS to help. Right now am bucking wood for the winter with my small electric chain saw and have lots of other stuff to get done including new roofing paper on one roof.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - May 08 2012 :  12:59:43 PM  Show Profile
Even when you have someone to help you, sometimes its more of a hinderance, being a widow has taught me alot, not that my late hubby din't help alot, when you figure out how to do something all by yourself, and you do a good job, you know that you are truely a farm/ranch girl, my mom raised 5 kids and ran the farm, (my dad worked off our place), as us kids got old enough to learn and help, it made things easier, and we learned how to do what she did on a daily basis, when I had kids of my own, all I could do, was to be in total awe of my mom, and so hoped I could be , even alittle as good as she was. She still is my rock, and always will be...I know there are times that we all need help, and there will be times that we will need to turn over the job to others, cause its just out of our leagues, but you know "what", thats ok...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

lindagwynn
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

Linda
Deming Wa.
USA
246 Posts

Posted - May 08 2012 :  4:09:45 PM  Show Profile
oldbittyhen, I love your quote. That is great and as far as being a widow it is wonderful because when something has to be done I know it is me. My daughter and her family share our place with me but I still seem to feel good about doing it all myself. They work hard at work and I get to stay home and take care of things. I love it but sometimes it is a challenge. But that is what keeps me young and feeling great.

With lots of hugs and smiles, have a great day.
" Your body knows how to heal itself; just give it the right tools."
Farmgirl#3864
Linda
www.gwynnsgifts.com
Go to Top of Page

MiaBella
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Michelle
New Caney TX
USA
100 Posts

Posted - May 08 2012 :  5:20:23 PM  Show Profile
Sometimes doing everything yourself is just not possible when you need to be in 2 places at one time. I ran into this issue when I had my dairy goat farm and attended multiple farmer markets each week. Throw in a craft fair and/or a holiday then there is trouble. So, I found myself an intern. Yes, someone who will work hard for a place to stay and a couple of meals a day, plus the opportunity to learn something.

I signed up on a website called World Wide Opportunities On Organic Farms (WWOOF). I was a "host farm" and had interns or Wwoofers contact me if I offered something they wanted to learn such as: managing/milking goats, cheese making, soap making, general farm work and gardening. Occasionally, I would have someone contact me that had a skill to offer. But, by far my best intern was a young man with Cerebral Palsy. His parents were told he would never walk...today he runs marathons! He found that running long distances was therapeutic and ended up enjoying it then training for the Boston Marathon among others. This young man was a worker! He would clean goat pens, chicken pens, feed all the animals, help fix fences, help milk the goats, do yard work, weed the garden and assist with packaging cheese & yogurt for the market. If I did not have a task for him, he found something worthwhile. I would have to TELL him to take a break and or make time for himself to run.

Now that I don't run the dairy any longer, I do everything around the farm that needs doing unless it involves lifting anything heavier than a 40lb sack of dog food. Then hubby or one of my 2 boys take care of it. I like to give them something to do every now and then, after all I DO FEED THEM!

Michelle
Farmgirl Sister #4097

MiaBella Farm
New Caney, TX
www.miabellafarm.com
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2012 :  8:10:08 PM  Show Profile
After a bad marriage/divorce, I raised my 4 kids as a single parent. Whether in a townhome or later a rural house and land....it was not always easy. But honestly between somE family and church, the Lord always saw me thru. The right people at the right time. My kids are grown now and health and finances have me in a city apt these days. Have a great balcony that I do herb container garden on. And enjoy the view with early morning coffee.
I just made my own laundry detergent and each day I'm trying to get back into sewing, knitting etc.

That Farmgirl spirit in us single gals gets us thru!!!

Blessings,
Linda
www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Lorie.Vance
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Lorie
Tampa FL
200 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2012 :  10:06:38 AM  Show Profile
My husband just got back from Iraq a few months ago thank Goodness! While he was gone something major broke and needed repair or replacement every month. It sometimes became very overwhelming. My hat goes off to everyone of you who is alone and having to get things done. I'm in Tampa and am always available to help out if any of you are a days drive away or so.

http://thevintagegardengirl@blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2012 :  08:17:41 AM  Show Profile
My husband drives a truck and is rarely home, about 4-6 days a month. I call myself a part time wife. So I have to do most everything myself. Unless it's mechanical or heavy lifting. Then I have to wait for him. I also have a guy up the road who mows the sheep pasture and does some weed whacking. He'll also do some carpentry for me when my garden shed gets here tomorrow. I sure wish there was a "man" school where us women can go to learn basic things like some plumbing and carpentry skills. There are so many things I would like to learn to do but don't know how. I can run the tiller and plant the gardens and do all that. Even put up fencing. But I'd like to know how to make a gate. It is nice to have a man around or even a teenager to help out. It gets very overwhelming sometimes when there is so much to do and not enough time.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Rustic Reb
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Rebecca
Pickford Michigan
97 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2012 :  05:02:40 AM  Show Profile
I am learning to barter for everything! I was clearing brush with my mighty chainsaw (that would be MIGHTY SMALL chainsaw.) On morning at the ferry crossing I was talking to some summer folks when I mentioned some trellis I am making. They are coming next week with two swing saws and the people to run them . In exchange they are taking home a couple of trellis. If there is time I will make a few right in front of them using the brush they are downing. Also a man I had in my life a few years ago could do anything with rachet straps, a pulley, and some heavy rope. After I borrowed a tiller from my neighbor, she came across the fields to pick it up. She had an old car hood flipped over and chained to her four wheeler. We wiggled n jiggled that tiller on to the lid and she skidded it home. Smart girl!

Don't be sorry that it's over... Be glad that it happened.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2012 :  4:39:07 PM  Show Profile
Where there's a will, there's a way. I hate to ask for help, but sometimes I just have to. I don't do nearly as much as some of y'all farm girls do. I keep up the house and the yard. When there is something I have a hard time doing, I always think of that quote, "Where there's a will, there's a way". I usually do get it done. Last year I injured my shoulder, so I can't pull the cord to start the push mower. Yesterday, I was adamant about starting that thing. After 12 tries, I finally got it started. My shoulder was hurting a lot last night, but this morning it is fine. I admire all of you girls who do it by yourselves. Hugs to all.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2013 :  6:24:49 PM  Show Profile
I'm truly amazed at all you folks and how you manage and hang in there. Sheer determination and will and resourceful. I can't tell you how much your stories inspire and humble me. My new motto is "Homesteaders aren't wimps and Farmgirls don't whine." Every time I started grumbling and/or complaining I think of you and remind myself how fortunate I am, how much I have to be thankful for. I can make do, figure it out and git 'er done because of the amazing women who've come before me and hopefully set an example for those who come after.

Farmgirl #522
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2013 :  12:39:32 PM  Show Profile
I live on a farm and have for 37 years. I am telling you, if I lose my hubby tomorrow I am off to town. I do not like running the farm and do not want to. My hat is off to all of you that do all the work. I like to garden and my chickens, but that is it.
Go to Top of Page
  Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Running the farm alone!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page