Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Neurological issues in dogs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Neurological issues in dogs Next Topic  

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - May 06 2012 :  6:06:39 PM  Show Profile
I took Boxer to the vet today--he's been having weakness in his hind legs. The vet did a thorough examination (used a mallet to check his reflexes, etc) and said he thought it was neurological. He recommended a supplement with glucosamine and chondroitan but it was very pricey. I went to Petco and bought a similar supplement for half the price. I got the liquid form since liquid is more easily assimilated by cells than a chewable tablet. The vet also said that physical therapy would help. Can't afford it, but they had an infra-red massage thing at the pet store. do these things really work? Anyone else have any suggestions? Boxer doesn't seem to be in any pain-he just seems confused as to why he can't jump up like he used to.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - May 06 2012 :  6:10:19 PM  Show Profile
I buy an injectable glucosamine to give to my barrel horses and my old horses.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - May 07 2012 :  08:31:33 AM  Show Profile
I'm confused as to why the vet would suggest supplements for a neurological disorder.
You can perform physical therapy on your pup yourself. TTouch is very effective and easy to learn. You can find some how-to's online (http://www.ttouch.com/howtodoTTouch.shtml), or pick up one of Linda Tellington Jones' books for a lot less than the cost of glucosamine.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.

"Look deep into Nature, and then you will understand everything better."--Albert Einstein
"A meal of bread, cheese and beer constitutes the perfect food." --Queen Elizabeth I
http://www.etsy.com/shop/StrawHouseDesigns
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 07 2012 :  08:35:35 AM  Show Profile
Big hugs to Boxer.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - May 07 2012 :  1:54:50 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Paula, joint problems that require G & C, have nothing to do with the brain, I would be looking for a new Vet, and as far as therapy goes, do you have a swimming pool, thats the best...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - May 08 2012 :  2:09:16 PM  Show Profile
If your dog has a neurological disorder, he would be referred to a vet specializing in pet neurology. Glucosamine and chondriotin is for joint issues. Did the vet do hip xrays and if so, what did they show? If you think your dog has a neurological disorder, you need to get him to a neuro vet or have the vet that you are currently seeing treat him appropriately. He could have anything going on from a hepatic shunt to a brain tumor. A quick trick to determine if your dog is having hind end weakness caused by a neuro problem is to turn his hind end toes under so that it looks like he is walking on his knuckles when he is standing. If he does not immediately stand properly on his pads like he should upon release of your hand, there is a strong chance that there is a neuro problem. I was a vet tech for 7 years, 3 of it spent in an emergency clinic in portland me next door to the animal neuro clinic. Please note that I am not trying to diagnose anything in this post. I am trying to help you make an educated decision as to how to treat your dog. Hope this helps.

Lorie

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - May 08 2012 :  2:47:08 PM  Show Profile
Lorena--the vet did the thing with his paws that you mentioned. His paws stayed turned under for a while before they went back to normal.So I'm pretty sure it's neurological. The vet hospital I took him to does offer physical therapy, but I just can't afford it. I know a friend who is trained in Healing Touch and she has done it for animals. So I'm going to ask Boxer if he would be open to that. (I know it helped me). I feed him a good, high-quality grain-free dog food. And he still likes going for walks, just can't walk as far as he used to. Thanks to everyone for your concern and suggestions. Boxer will be fourteen on May 15th. In human years, that's about eighty-eight years old. So he's actually in pretty good health for a dog that age.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - May 09 2012 :  08:00:56 AM  Show Profile
Ok. Just hope that everything works out for you and your boxer.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - May 09 2012 :  09:39:17 AM  Show Profile
Cindy,

I'll be sending some healing thoughts to Boxer and I'll tell my pups about him so they can do the same.

Hugs!

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.

"Look deep into Nature, and then you will understand everything better."--Albert Einstein
"A meal of bread, cheese and beer constitutes the perfect food." --Queen Elizabeth I
http://www.etsy.com/shop/StrawHouseDesigns
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Neurological issues in dogs Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page