Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic New Garden Space! Pics!! Next Topic  

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - May 05 2012 :  6:40:13 PM  Show Profile
So hubs & I wanted a BIGGER space & decided to try this way, & boy oh boy are we impressed! We bought a huge sheet of plastic, very sturdy (pricey, but can be reused) & put it down the 2nd week of March, directly on the grass. We removed it today & we are beyond excited. Loamy earth with worms crawling all over. We borrowed a neighbors tiller, & even debated as to whether we should even till this gorgeous earth. We finally did, but only a few inches deep, as the soil was so nice even without tilling. This method killed all of the grass & left the soil seed ready. I would highly recommend this method

Edited by - nubidane on May 05 2012 6:41:37 PM

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Gladstone Mi.
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - May 05 2012 :  7:09:53 PM  Show Profile
Wow! That looks like it is going to be a great garden. Also an easy way to get rid of the grass. I may just try that next year if I decide to expand my gardens.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 05 2012 :  7:44:36 PM  Show Profile
Wow Lisa! Very nice. I can't wait to see pictures of the crops coming up. How long did this take?
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - May 05 2012 :  7:45:37 PM  Show Profile
How exciting Lisa! It looks great, I sure miss loamy soil. Luckily we have quite the worm population :)

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - May 05 2012 :  8:57:51 PM  Show Profile
Thanks!!
I sure hope the soil remains as loamy as it is today. It took about 6 weeks to "burn" the existing grass.
We plan on adding wet newspaper & straw after we plant to keep weeds out. Hopefully, I will have some "after" pics in the next few months. We drove fence posts tonight & are going to use plastic deer fence (along with dog & hubby urine) to keep the pests away.
I will update to let you know how this fares throughout the season.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 05 2012 :  9:17:45 PM  Show Profile
I can't wait to see the pictures. I'll be checking back.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - May 06 2012 :  05:27:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Lookin' good, Lisa! I only wish I had some loamy soil. Keep showing pics as you guys progess. What are you planting this year?

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - May 06 2012 :  8:14:38 PM  Show Profile
NICE!!!! What a great idea! I had rad about putting cardnoard down where you want to kill the grass for new gardens- obviously plastic really does work too! Please continue to post pics as you move along. Best of luck to you!
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - May 07 2012 :  08:27:00 AM  Show Profile
Thanks you guys! We are going to plant the heavy hitters in this bed, beans, tomatoes (I have 100 heirloom seedlings) and some heirloom corn. We also have 3 8x16 raised beds that I'll plant the peppers, zukes, cukes & some squashes.
Last year we had this freak of a tomato that was a volunteer that we got 950 tomatoes from, & the oddidty got hubs into garden mode. He went out evey night to pick tomatoes & count them(he is a dork).
So after that, he has decided to embrace his inner green thumb, which I am loving. You know, big strong arms that can help build, till, pound stakes & the like.
I'll keep you updated!
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic New Garden Space! Pics!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page