Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 Selling Jams and Jellies need suggestions / advice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Selling Jams and Jellies need suggestions / advice Next Topic  

CollageSheetGirl
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Kate
Litchfield Nh
USA
10 Posts

Posted - May 03 2012 :  5:48:20 PM  Show Profile
I'd like to sell my Jams, jellies and pickles this year. I could use some suggestions/advice.
Good places to sell, supplies and pricing help would be great!

Up till now I give them as gift but people have been asking to make them and they would pay me.

Sure could use some help.
Thanks
Kate

MiaBella
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Michelle
New Caney TX
USA
100 Posts

Posted - May 03 2012 :  6:25:52 PM  Show Profile
Start with looking for your nearest Farmers Market and sign up to be a vendor. Many times you will get customers there that are in the restaurant or wholesale business and if they like your product then they'll seek you out.

Depending on your local regulations, you may need a canning license and a food manufacturers license and will need to produce everything in certified commercial kitchen. If you have not done so already, contact your State Department of Health and County Health Dept.

Best of luck to you! I have been itching to make jams/jellies for my family and will get around to it soon...soon as we run out of all the Blueberry Jelly I bought last year from a vendor at a Farmer Market I used to participate in.

Michelle
Farmgirl Sister #4097

MiaBella Farm
New Caney, TX
www.miabellafarm.com
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - May 03 2012 :  7:08:15 PM  Show Profile
I would bring along my own jams and jellies to sell at our soap shows especially this last year when our harvest of plums, apples, and strawberries was bountiful to say the least!

My jams, jellies and butters were wrapped in brown paper( just the lid) tied with course twine with an attached label indicating the type of jelly and on the back, because of state requirements, ingredients and where the jelly was prepared even down to the required Font size, etc. Michigan is pretty clear about what is acceptable and legal to sell at arts and crafts shows and farmer's markets.

I charged around $6.50 a half pint, and I could NOT keep any at the shows for long-they went THAT fast. Everyone loves hand-made jellies, jams and butters, but I think what really did it for selling was PRESENTATION! Go on line and check out different ideas on labeling etc. I am sure your jellies are delectable, but I'd have to say it's the packaging that will bring them to your table!

Here is an picture from one of last year's soap shows-The jams and jellies are on the far right

Oh...another idea would be to have "samples" at your table as well!

Good luck and have fun!!

Melody
Farmgirl #525

Edited by - melody on May 03 2012 7:20:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - May 10 2012 :  1:50:05 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kate--so far all of the suggestions sound great. I am assuming you also know whether it's LEGAL (yes, I know it sounds crazy, but welcome to America's new policy on small farmers and food producers) to sell your jams and jellies in certain places, or whether some of them require that they be made in a CERTIFIED KITCHEN.

In various states and counties, it is ILLEGAL to sell them if they come out of your own kitchen and carry fines and penalties. Others will okay anything sold outdoors (say a farmer's market) but will need certification if you sell via other stores, even if they are mom and pop stores or other farm product stores (again, it's nuts, but there you have it).

There are several states that will allow you to sell under a Cottage Industry act, but to remove liability, you must list any ingredients, such as nuts, that may cause an allergic reaction in some people.

Good luck with your endeavor!

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View My Work:

art/dolls: www.vagabondcreations.blogspot.com

The Horse Drawn Project and Farming!
www.beyondvagabond.com

View the blog and radio show!
Renegade Farming!: www.therenegadefarmer.com

Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - May 17 2012 :  09:28:40 AM  Show Profile
I took 1/2 pints to the Farmer's Market a few weeks ago - sold 10 jars at $4.00/each or 4 for $15.00.

My supply depends on what's in season at the time too. Dandelion sold well.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

From my hands: http://pioneerpatchworkhomespun.blogspot.com/

From my Camera: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pioneerwomanatheart/
Go to Top of Page

CollageSheetGirl
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Kate
Litchfield Nh
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2012 :  5:03:08 PM  Show Profile

What about gifts in a bag.
Dips soups teas coffers rubs.
Any advice suggestions on selling those items

Thanks for all your suggestion on jellies and jams!

Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Selling Jams and Jellies need suggestions / advice Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page