Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Flour Sack Dish Towels
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Flour Sack Dish Towels Next Topic  

fiddlegirl89
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Kayla
Dunnville KY
USA
232 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  08:39:29 AM  Show Profile  Send fiddlegirl89 an AOL message  Send fiddlegirl89 a Yahoo! Message
A long time ago, I bought several flour sacks (as well as large pieces of the material,) and I'm turning them into dish towels. I've made cloth napkins before, out of the same fabric, and I embroidered names on them. However, I don't feel like I'm very good at embroidery, and I'm worried that maybe the embroidery will come out with something I'd use as much as dish towels. (We don't use and wash the napkins very much, comparatively speaking.) When I embroider, I do stitch over the ends...is there anything else you're supposed to do to secure the ends? With the napkins I made, I recently took the embroidery out (they're a couple years old now) and redid them...but I know that you can find embroidered work that's really old, so it's not right for the thread to be coming out after a couple years!

Also, I need ideas for embroidery designs! I like the redwork look, but I haven't found anything specifically that I really love yet. I'll be putting these in my hope chest to outfit my kitchen, but we're not sure yet about kitchen colors or anything like that. (Actually, my grandmother offered to outfit our kitchen with a strawberry theme, and if we go with that, redwork would fit beautifully!) So being that we're undecided, I'd really like something that would look okay with anything. It seems to me like embroidered towels don't really have to match, though...they look fine anyway! I had originally thought about doing two for every day of the week, and stitching the days on them, but I didn't have enough material to make 14...I think I ended up with 8 or 9. So, I think I'll stay away from days for now. Or I guess I could do 7 of them with days...see how decisive I am?!

I am never very happy with regular dish towels we've bought in the past...seems like they don't really dry anything. More like just spreading the water around on the dishes! We rented a cabin for the weekend a couple weeks ago though, and they had flour sack towels (not new ones...like the old, unbleached, wonderful material..which is what I have) and I loved the way they dried! So, that got my excited about making my own...not to mention the thrifty, repurposing aspect, which I'm all about!

So now I just need help with the embroidery!

www.crazykcreates.blogspot.com

www.crazykcreates1.etsy.com

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyKCreates

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  10:16:01 AM  Show Profile
Kayla, there are so many different iron-on transfers you could pick from, either from a store or on-line hobby/fabric stores. Also what I've done is go on-line to find web-sites where you can get free patterns to download and then transfer them onto the towels (more labor intensive, but works great). There's an on-line shop I get some unusual designs that are different, but darling. If you'd like I can send you an e-mail with their web addy. They have some really cute kitchen designs that are not your usual vintage/Aunt Martha designs. I've made some baby/toddler t-shirts with some of their designs and my son and wife loved them - very unusual - not your run-of-the-mill kids designs. This spring I made a set of seven towels for my DIL for her birthday using all sorts of different colors on the designs (days of the week with pots, pans, dishes, etc.) and she loved them. Also made a set for step-daughter all in red (she likes that red & black chef design)in the same pots & pans design. So there's so many places you can find free designs and get ideas. There's also some books that have iron-on patterns you can use or trace. I have several that have different kitchen designs in them. If you're interested, let me know and I can e-mail you the info. You're going to have such fun stitching your towels. It's very relaxing.
Go to Top of Page

fiddlegirl89
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Kayla
Dunnville KY
USA
232 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  10:37:53 AM  Show Profile  Send fiddlegirl89 an AOL message  Send fiddlegirl89 a Yahoo! Message
That would be great..thanks! I did find this website http://www.needlenthread.com/ and there are some pretty free patterns on there. I was wanting to be able to download and print them, if possible...I don't have any craft stores near me. I don't have any books on embroidery so I'm reading a lot online right now. Hopefully these will turn out okay!

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyKCreates

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  11:25:29 AM  Show Profile
Also check out Aunt Martha (colonialpatterns.com) sign up for their newsletters. Sublime, and Doodle Stitches is also good, as well as many others out there, you may want to join some yahoo embroider groups and flicker. (like hoop love).

Go with what ever pattern theme you want, any will go well with any decor. Same with colors. Think about it, our ancestors probably just used odd bits and pieces of thread left over from bigger projects. I look at my antique ones and they are very whimsical in colors and go good in any kitchen I have had! Furthermore, Red is a neutral color so will go with anything. So if you go with red work should work with any colors you choose in your kitchen.

Maybe you need to sew in a longer tail, I have never had any of mine come lose....

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  1:18:07 PM  Show Profile
I've been embroideing dishtowels for, gulp, 42 years and I always not the thread ends just as my grandmother and mother did on dishtowels. I just figure that with something that get that much use and washings knots are a good idea. On pillowcases and other things I avoid knots but there are times to break the rules on knots. Coloring books are a great source of designs.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - May 02 2012 :  10:46:14 AM  Show Profile
Here are some web sites I have used in the past to download free designs:
Mary Corbet's Needle 'N Thread - needlenthread.com
Urban Threads Badbird's embroidery patterns
Tip Nut The Floss Box
homeberries.com michelleclement.typepad.com/blog
patternbee.com orangerugyarn.com
Aunt Martha's to order iron on patterns of all sorts
Stitcher's Revolution for other darling iron ons
Hope this gives you some ideas to work from. We're all here for you whenever you need help.
Also, you can order on-line from Joann's Fabric, Hobby Lobby or Micheals (be sure to use your on-line coupon for discounts)
Kathy, I'm with you - I'm a "knotter" too.
Whatever works - it's all good.
Go to Top of Page

fiddlegirl89
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Kayla
Dunnville KY
USA
232 Posts

Posted - May 02 2012 :  10:49:34 AM  Show Profile  Send fiddlegirl89 an AOL message  Send fiddlegirl89 a Yahoo! Message
Oh wow! Thanks so much! I made all the towels yesterday and cut all my scraps into "rags" or whatever you call them...replacements for paper towels, really. I ended up with about 30 of those! I spent all morning hemming those.

Thanks again, everyone! I'm excited!

Go to Top of Page

heritagehunter
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Julie
La Salle Co
USA
207 Posts

Posted - May 06 2012 :  11:20:43 AM  Show Profile
If you are looking for something different to do with the towels, try coloring them with fabric markers or fabric crayons. Looks nice and is alot of fun.
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - May 06 2012 :  3:58:59 PM  Show Profile
I have made the flour sack ones and I use the transfers from the Aunt Martha designs, have never had the embroidery come out
Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - May 06 2012 :  4:50:31 PM  Show Profile
I wish you gals lived near me to teach me embroidery. I just love all the flour sack kitchen towels with such funny cute embroidery on them :( I might have to move out of New York just for that lol

A Friend is Someone who Reaches for your Hand, But Touches your Heart!
Farmgirl #3842
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - May 08 2012 :  05:56:18 AM  Show Profile
My embroidery doesn't look the best, but believe it or not some folks think it looks more primitive...lol. For people who do not embroidery, they don't mind the imperfections. I always knot, just like my mother and grandmother. Usually a small knot and I run my needle through it before taking my first stitch.

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - May 09 2012 :  10:43:16 AM  Show Profile
I got some at k-mart a while back
they had strips on the edges of them
they weren't flour sacks ; but dish towels
they were cotton and perfect to embroidery on and thick too
Wall- mart had them too I think
look for
100% cotton ;white and you might find them like that. hugs

http://www.sheilascreativetouches.blogspot.com/

http://www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - May 10 2012 :  3:22:12 PM  Show Profile
I have picked up the same striped dish towels from Hobby Lobby and Joann's Fabric. These are what I've used to embroider sets of the week towels as gifts. Did dig out some really old flour sack towels I had and plan to do some work on them to spruce them up a bit just for my own use. Or may invest in some nice new ones for more gifts down the road for others. Just love doing towels, but really should start thinking of something else to work on!
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 10 2012 :  11:18:07 PM  Show Profile
Joan I just moved from NYC a year and a half ago.

I bought my patterns at the time at Walmart in LI, but walmarts stopped selling them, I then started getting them at Joann's around LI more.

Thread, I bought on clearance at Walmart when they discontinued it! hahaha But, you can also get it at Joann's. I mainly went to the one on Old Country Road, in oh....starts with a W....there's a walmart there, and a babies r us too....where Rosevelt Field mall is...But, there was a good Joann's in Centerville as well.

I only took embroidery a little bit in junior high home ec. I would suggest teaching yourself, cause I basically did. Buy a few books that show pics of basic stitches. I really like this blog in teaching stitches- http://bigbgsd.blogspot.com/

basically you can't mess up that bad, even bad embroidery looks pretty good.

I bought my towels mainly at Walmart in Green Acres (Valley Stream LI), but sometimes at Kmart, and IKEA too. (Ikea is cheapest).

Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - May 11 2012 :  03:41:03 AM  Show Profile
Heather thanks for the info about teaching myself embroidery. I will look into it.

A Friend is Someone who Reaches for your Hand, But Touches your Heart!
Farmgirl #3842
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 11 2012 :  07:48:23 AM  Show Profile
Welcome and you know what I completely forgot, I also would get thread at AC Moore and Michaels. They didn't sell the iron on embroidery patterns though but good for thread! And all over LI and Queens!

There's a cross stitch store but I never went inside it also off Sunrise Highway just past Valley Stream, I can't think of the name of the town, but I want to say it starts with a P....there's a Panera Bread, a Italian Ice place, King Kullen, etc all there. I always wanted to go in, but just window shopped there cause I was never there when they were open. But, I would bet you could find some one there that stitches. Also there is a major guild there.....I want to say the Sublime Stitches woman lives in NYC but now I can't remember, maybe it's Florista instead...I know one of the big blogging embroiders lives in NYC and actually has monthly meetings, look on hoop love, seems to me there was lots from NYC there....I didn't of course find out they were in NYC till I moved here to Kansas. But funny enough then I found out one of the major embroidery blogs I follow the woman is from right where I live, we go to the same Goodwill! haha

Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - May 12 2012 :  4:58:54 PM  Show Profile
Joan, if you have a Hobby Lobby or Joann's Fabric in your area they carry towels, thread, etc. Also, I went to a book store and picked up books on embroidery to learn as well as ordering from Amazon.com. Sometimes it's actually cheaper on Amazon if you get more than one book - super savings over $25.00. I just read and read. The first book I got was from Sublime Stitching - Embroidered Effects. It actually has patterns you iron on and learn from the book as far as what stitches to use. To me it was a great beginners book to learn from - great instructions and visuals. They also have the books Sublime Stitching - Hundreds of Hip Emboidery Patterns and How to and Doddle Stitching - the Motif Collection by Aimee Ray. But I especially love the Sublime Stitching books with the patterns already to use and learn from. Go for it girl freind!
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - May 12 2012 :  5:00:52 PM  Show Profile
P.S. Joan, you can also go on-line to Hobby Lobby and Joann's to order if you don't have those stores in your area. Or Hancock Fabric in store or on-line too.
Go to Top of Page

DianaMT
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Diana
Billings Montana
USA
46 Posts

Posted - May 13 2012 :  5:50:52 PM  Show Profile
Hi,

I am getting back into embroidery. My goal is Jacobean Crewel embroidery.

For dishtowels, try this group. I think you have to join, but there are oodles and oodles of things to embroider: http://www.flickr.com/groups/embroideredstuff/

Oh - I also look through clip art/cartoons and have picked a favorite font to do DOW (Day of the Week) towels, then added the clip art that I like.

HTH
Diana

Is your tea pot ready for winter:
http://montanamadetradingpost.com/patterns.html
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Flour Sack Dish Towels Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page