queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2012 :  07:32:28 AM  Show Profile
I've posted on here about my occasional horse sitting job for one of our customers (it was under a different topic). Anyway, I'm sitting one geriatric horse and a middle aged mule. The horse, given it's age (about 30 or so), has no teeth and a geriatric gut slows way down with age. This woman, who cannot physically take care of these animals properly nor can she afford to have this hired out otherwise I'd do it, was feeding sweet feed with weight builder and soaked hay extender. She asked me to take care of her animals starting today. No problem. Like I said, I've done it before. So this morning I found her note in the barn. She said she was out of weight builder and upped the horses feed to 5 scoops (approx. 4-5 lbs) of sweet feed and 6 scoops (about the same amount as sweet feed) of hay extender soaked PER FEEDING!!! The mule is on straight oats. No big deal. I'm just praying that the horse does not colic on my watch. I've given her a less costly solution that would be better for the horse, but she doesn't seem to want to listen. I don't have a problem with feeding this amount, but it should be done in more feedings and not in 2 (morning and night). She works an hour away from where she lives, so it is not feasible for her to come home at noon and feed again. I work 3 days a week myself and do not get any type of a lunch break myself. Please pray for me that this horse survives this vacation that his owner is on. I don't truly wish for evil, but I don't need this horse colicking and dying on my watch.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2012 :  07:54:20 AM  Show Profile
Lorena,
That is quite a dilemma. I would agree with your concerns. Start increasing to the owner's recommended feeding amount gradually...don't dump all five scoops in there on day 1 but work up to it. Because hopefully when the owner gets back, she will get some more weight builder and then the horse would be transitioning her diet all over again, running a repeated risk of colic.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.

"Look deep into Nature, and then you will understand everything better."--Albert Einstein
"A meal of bread, cheese and beer constitutes the perfect food." --Queen Elizabeth I
http://www.etsy.com/shop/StrawHouseDesigns
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2012 :  12:30:39 PM  Show Profile
Lorena I have been critter sitting for about 10 years now and I have dealt with all sorts of things including some things similar to what you are speaking of. Basically if I were you I would tell her that you do not feel comfortable with changing anything from how she was doing it before and that you would rather her wait do it when she gets back or whenever she is in charge of the horse. But really looking at her suggestions it doesn't sound like too much or a drastic change to me. Basically horses need 20 lbs. of feed a day that is including grain hay and any grass they are grazing (combined not of each). However it varies some. Small horses need less and I have some Thoroughbred racehorses that we have to just pour the feed. Bottomless pits. But one thing that I come across is sometimes folks will expect you to do a lot of work that they haven't been doing themselves. Sometimes people will do this because they think cause they are paying you that you have endless time and no life, well not so. A rule of thumb I try to use with my horses is that when in doubt go with less....less change, feed, medicine, whatever. Horses are creatures of habit. But what you were saying doesn't sound like much of a change but I might not be hearing it right. I always try to just do what the customer asks for unless it really does sound like 1 something I think is not safe for the animal or me or 2 something I don't want to do. An couple of examples of the latter that I have come across is delivering foals, climbing under houses to attach hoses, giving megadoses of iron supplements to horses, and untangling and dragging frozen hoses for 1/8 of a mile to fill stock tanks that don't need filling on Christmas day. Some of which I did and some of which I refused to do. If the lady just doesn't have time to get the feed that the horses are used to then maybe she can give you the money and gas to go get it? Only if its close or you are going anyway. But I will say if I am hearing right it doesn't sound like too drastic of a change to me what she is asking. I feed some of my horses high fat grain and if I run out I switch them back to regular old sweet feed and they do fine. However it is the same amount. The main thing is to make sure if the horse is used to soaked feed to not change that, and make sure they are getting plenty of water. A word of encouragement if she has kept the old horse alive this long then she must know a little something, and if it dies then maybe its time. You just need to be careful that you don't get used. Also maybe a paper signed releasing you from any liability would be good although I don't require it. I work it to where I get $20 per hour including travel time. Sometimes I charge more for the travel time if it's a long way. Hope this helps.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2012 :  5:34:36 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Laura. I've gone with my gut and am only feeding half of what she told me per feeding. She upped the grain 5 times what I was feeding the old man only 2 mos ago, that's why I was so upset. This horse has never been ridden in the 10 years that I've known the owner. I only started horse sitting for her in the past year. Her brother, who used to live near her, or a neighbor who lived closer used to do it for her. My hubby used to take care of them as well, but it's not so simple anymore. I'm not going into the details, but to say the least, her barn set up is not ideal and the mule has to be tied so that she doesn't get the old man's food. So it's not as simple as toss the food in the stall, water up and go. I don't charge a set fee. I just accept what she pays, which is reasonable. It's not like this is my profession. Right now, I've found another problem with the old man. I noticed a chip in his hoof...about 1 in. long and about 3/4 wide at the base. I checked it out. There's nothing comming from the sole, but the sole is not concave like it should be. Nor are the hooves trimmed the way they should. Too long at the toe, but I know for a fact she does have the farrier work done as I've seen the trimmings in her yard. I hope the old man is not foundering. I'm going to give a close friend of mine a call. She's had horses since she was 5 and has dealt with founder or at least knows the early stages of it. I'm not as familiar with it, so I'm going to see if she can meet me at the barn Tues pm and look at it for me.

Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2012 :  07:48:41 AM  Show Profile
Yup go with your gut. Less is better.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - May 02 2012 :  07:28:08 AM  Show Profile
After this session of horse sitting is done, I just can't do it anymore. The straw that broke the camel's back...The mule, even though she was tied as the owner instructed, managed to drive away the old man from his grain. She didn't get any. Couldn't get the old man back in to eat once I got the mule straightened out. This on top of the fact that it takes the old man and hour and a half to eat. Along with the 3 feet of manure in the barn that the owner won't pay to have it cleaned out. Along with the fact there are no stalls in the barn itself. It's just a big area that the horses use for a toilet. I really just want to cry. And there's nothing the State Humane agents can do. The animals have food, water and "shelter" even though it's full of manure. The only clean spot in the barn is the feed and tack area and that's only because I clean it when I take care of them. I just can't do it. I've offered to help keep the barn clean if she has someone clean the mess up and as long as the barn is off limits on good days. I just can't do it. Sigh. :(

Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - May 02 2012 :  11:01:04 AM  Show Profile
Lorena,
You are a good soul. You are feeling for the animals. But they know you are there to help them when you show up to care for them. Animals are very receptive to those things. I am sure they would thank you if they could!!...even though the mule was being naughty...but my mule is pretty naughty too sometimes.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090

"Look deep into Nature, and then you will understand everything better."--Albert Einstein
"A meal of bread, cheese and beer constitutes the perfect food." --Queen Elizabeth I
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - May 03 2012 :  06:26:57 AM  Show Profile
The good news today...I out thought the mule. The owner has 3 large fields that interconnect. She can section them off for rotational grazing. I fed the mule outside today and sectioned her away from the barn and let the old man have the barn to himself. It worked! Have you ever seen a mule or horse have a tempertantrum? She was rolling her head, pawing at the ground, pacing. She even thought about jumping the gate or crawling under it! If the fence wasn't on, she would have. My 4 1/2 yo son thought she was dancing. LOL. Well, with this idea, I've cut my work time down and hubby can let down the gate in the mornings that I have to work. And if he forgets, the mule isn't tied to one spot in the barn all day.

Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - May 03 2012 :  07:20:03 AM  Show Profile
Lorena,
Yes, mules are quite animated when they get excited. When Missy rolls her head and follows it up with a big hind kick, sometimes I think she is about to do a somersault! I'm so glad you came up with a solution. You do have to be smarter than your mule, because you sure can't out-muscle or out intimidate them...which is a huge difference between horses and mules..and I think one of the reasons why I like them so much..because you have to use your brain and not your brawn to have a good relationship with them.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Horse Sitting-Venting Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page