Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Banning Farm Chores????? Next Topic  

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  07:56:44 AM  Show Profile
Have any of you read this? Banning kids for farm chores. What do you think?

http://dailycaller.com/2012/04/25/rural-kids-parents-angry-about-labor-dept-rule-banning-farm-chores/

Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  08:49:01 AM  Show Profile
Honestly? I think it's nutty. Without getting into politics too much, I think that Big Ag wants to do as much as possible to cripple family farms. I don't think that this ruling is based on child labour laws as much as I think it is aimed at promoting corporate farming interests. Just sayin'.
Most farm kids that I know are safety oriented and smart as whips. Kids need to learn to do things. Kids need chores and lessons in real life.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Edited by - Annika on Apr 27 2012 08:51:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  08:52:25 AM  Show Profile
Well stated, and I totally agree, Annika. Thanks for leaving a comment, somehow I knew you would.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  09:09:49 AM  Show Profile
I heard this morning that this whole thing was shot down. Thank God. Annika - excellent, excellent, excellent observation! Laws have their place, and although most of the time well-meaning, lately things seem to be going way too far, all in the name of "help" or "protection." Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Apr 27 2012 7:24:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

AlyssaMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

AlyssaMarie
Palouse Washington
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  10:52:43 AM  Show Profile
I've got 3 kids and a small farm. I'm glad to hear that the bill was shot down. A large part of why we moved our family out here was to raise them on a farm and teach them the value of hard work. How rewarding it is for my kids to understand the true value of the food that goes on their table. Additionally... I love my kids deeply and like most parents care passionately about keeping them safe. I'm pretty sure I'm the BEST judge of what is a safe chore for my kids to do based on their age, experience, personality etc etc. I know my kids better and care more for their welfare than any goverenment buracrate!

AlyssaMarie @ Link'd Hearts Ranch
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  11:46:29 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Annika, for letting us know that the bill was shot down. Great news.
AlyssaMarie, as a young child I was raised on a small farm. I learned such respect for mother nature, mother earth, and how to respect animals. I'm glad to hear that your children are learning the values of hard good work on a farm.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  2:40:28 PM  Show Profile
So glad that it seems this was shot down. My husband was just about having a coronary over the insanity of the whole thing. I think his exact words were "The government wants us to raise a nation of entitled little brats who not only don't 'have' to help, but 'can't' help." And there you have it.

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  3:21:05 PM  Show Profile
Amy: Your husband is a wise and smart man. Good comment.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  3:31:55 PM  Show Profile
That would have been really sad for the 4H program. I really enjoy seeing all their animals at the fair.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  4:28:21 PM  Show Profile
If this had gone thru, it would have destroyed alot of good familys and their farms/ranches, not many could afford full or part time help, and look at all the kids that would become couch potatos...kids that are raised on farms/ranches do chores, because its part of life, my kids did not know any other way, as well as most kids that grew up with my kids...and thats how I grew up, along with my siblings and relatives, sooooooooo very glad that it did not go thru, it would have been a tragedy...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  7:26:21 PM  Show Profile
Regulations like this is ridiculous. I think we need someone in office with some common sense.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  7:59:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am so glad that it did not go through! I think good old fashioned ethics and a good work ethic are in short supply these days. Farm labor can be tough- yes. But it is up to the parent to keep their kid safe and make sure they aren't asking too much. Sometimes I think the agriculture kids have a leg up because they know the value of work and the value of time and when it is appropriate to have both.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wff7Xpc/]

[/url]
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  9:06:03 PM  Show Profile
Well said Tina and Alee. I am so happy it failed.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

Caroline Sunshine
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Carolyn
Thornton WA
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  9:19:17 PM  Show Profile
I heard about this too. Those of you who think this is about shutting down small farm practices are correct. I too am glad that this was shot down; however, do not believe that it will simply go away. One day it will come back. These things always do.

Is anyone aware of the GMO controversy that is going on right now? We are being fed GMOs in so many of our food products and yet, they are not required to label the foods as containing GMOs. Corporate Farms are behind this. GMOs are unnatural and not good for "people." YET, they are in nearly everything.

If you look on the internet about GMOs and India, you will find YouTubes that talk about what is being done in India by MONSANTO. They have caused 250,000 Indian farmers to commit suicide because of what they have done. It is WAY beyond political... it is criminal and downright EVIL. Monsanto is trying to shut down all small farming.

Didn't mean to go on and on - but the very fabric of rural America is in jeopardy.

This is the day that the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it!

Every day on the farm is JOY to the soul!
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2012 :  2:57:16 PM  Show Profile
I went back and read the proposal from last year on DOL website. From what I read, the child farm labor laws had not been looked at since 1970. The proposal never effected kids working on family farms or being able to participate in 4-H or FFA. What it did do was restrict children under the age of 15 from working at grain silos, large grain trucks, pesticide spray trucks & commercial operations and feed lots and stock yards. It was a proposal that asked for input from the public. I think that too much stuff is going around without complete information that is causing undue alarm. I always go to the original source before making up my mind about somethings validity. Go read the whole thing for yourself.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran

http://farmsteadfripperies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2012 :  3:13:00 PM  Show Profile
YES! It was withdrawn they recieved so much public outrage about it. I'm glad. That was just totally ridiculous anyway. What in the world do they want kids to do sit and learn nothing while there growing up. It just gets me upset.
I grew up on a farm. Always busy, but so much fun also. I love the farm life. Marlee

God is the painter, he paints the picture. And his son builds it, for he is the Master Carpenter!
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2012 :  4:19:26 PM  Show Profile
Same here, Marlee. I am happy that the public took the effort to have it withdrawn.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

Andmre
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Andrea
Lenexa KS
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2012 :  08:18:38 AM  Show Profile
It is the government's way(yes, small g-not much respect left for them)of crippling our econonomy even more so in the days to come. They don't want us teaching the children responsibilty, work ethics, or any other possible way of being self sufficient. They want us to rely soley on them. We are smarter than this to be led in to this way of thinking and we should not choose to be complacent.

What is bound on earth shall be bound in Heaven.
~Andmre~Farmgirl # 4031
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - May 16 2012 :  08:11:16 AM  Show Profile
Just remember this...There is an organization called American Farm Bureau that protects farmers from unjust legislation and other things that jeopardize the american farmer. There are lobbiests in DC as well as in your home state capitol. It doesn't matter what you grow (plant/animal) or how big or small your "farm" is or whether you're organic or not...farm bureau protects all farmers. Please look into supporting your local farm bureau. Farm Bureau lobbiests in DC and members from all over this country were fighting that bill tooth and nail.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Sugar Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Pamela Jean
Sugarloaf Ca
USA
108 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2012 :  10:16:58 PM  Show Profile
It is just about more gonvement control.

Stand for What's Right!
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2012 :  01:42:37 AM  Show Profile
Sheri, thank you. Like you, whenever I hear about something that sounds too awful to be true, I go back to the source to find out what truth consists of. Alas, however, I live in Virginia, where too often, what sounds too awful to be true is both awful and true.
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Banning Farm Chores????? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page