handyam
True Blue Farmgirl

394 Posts

Ada Mae
Greensburg KY.
USA
394 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  06:57:36 AM  Show Profile
A couple of years ago I found a recipe for homemade laundry detergent that used only powdered ingredients, but did not use a bar of grated soap. I have lost the recipe and would like to have it again. Can anyone help? Thanks.

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  07:31:22 AM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
Ade Mae this is the recipe I use, 4cups of hot water, 1 bar of fels-naptha soap finely grated, half cup of boraxo, 1 cup arm and hammer super washing soda, heat water over medium heat add powders stir until dissolved. I put my grated bar soap in a bowl, and when I start the water for the powders on the stove I put my hottest tap water in the grated soap and stir well to dissolve it after powders are dissolved add you fels-naptha and stir until completely dissolved, you may have to add more water, pour this mixture into 5 gallon bucket and fill with hot water leave set several hours stirring 2 or3 times, then pour half of this into another 5 gallon bucket and fill with water. Roxanna
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  12:30:49 PM  Show Profile
Hmmmmm, all the recipe I have use grated soap. I wonder if you could do without though and just use Borax and washing soda though.

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/MilitaryFarmGirl
Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  1:32:58 PM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
Fels-naptha ii a good stain remover, they say you can use any bar of soap, I don't know what it would be like without a bar of soap. Roxanna
Go to Top of Page

handyam
True Blue Farmgirl

394 Posts

Ada Mae
Greensburg KY.
USA
394 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  2:15:51 PM  Show Profile
THANKS ALL for your replies. The recipe I had called for Twenty Mule Team Borax, boraxo, soda, washing soda and another dry ingredient (but not soap). And, of course I don't remember the amounts.
Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  6:45:55 PM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
I think the grated soap is what gives the detergent it thickness, not sure but that's what I think. Roxanna
Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  8:08:16 PM  Show Profile
The recipe at this web site uses soap nuts instead of Fels Naptha. Hope this works for you!

www.ehow.com/how_7779423_homemade-laundry-detergent-soap.html

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama

April is Autism Awareness month. Autism affects 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys, including my son). Go to http://www.autismspeaks.org/ to learn more and help Light It Up Blue on April 2nd!

Edited by - sjmjgirl on Apr 27 2012 8:12:18 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Laundry Detergent Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page