natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2012 :  6:31:18 PM  Show Profile
Ok Ladies. You saved my family from a lifetime of bad fried potatoes. Now they need rescued from my fried chicken.

I have tried everything I have seen on all the cooking shows and read in books. I'm just ruining alot of otherwise perfectly fine chicken.

I use a cast iron skillet, about 1/2 full of oil, on medium high heat. I soak the chicken in buttermilk all day, then coat in flour, then in batter, then into the pan.

I've tried lettin it sit for 7 minutes per side, which burns the breading and it isn't finished in the middle.

I've tried turning them every 2-3 minutes, which still scorches them really bad and they aren't done in the middle.

I'm just not sure what I'm doin wrong.

If you could tell me what to do, or what not to do, I would really love it. I'm sure my family would even more!!

Thanks!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2012 :  6:57:20 PM  Show Profile
sounds like the heat is just too high, you always want the oil hot before you add the chicken, test by dropping a drop or two of water in the oil, you want it to sizzle, but not pop and explode, if it does, turn down a little and wait and then test again, also you may need the oil a little deeper so it does not immediatly sit on the bottom and scorch, also turn 4 times only...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2012 :  8:03:45 PM  Show Profile
I like to get it nice and brown in the grease then place on a cookie rack over a 9/13 pan with a little water in a 375 oven while I get everything else done 30 min or so. Nice and crispy done well and taste great, I don't soak mine I use 1 egg with some water to dip in before the flour in a brown paper bag shack the bag to coat no salt no pepper until you serve it.

Easy and the best I have had.

The buttermilk is why it is burning the dairy cooks quicker in the oil.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2012 :  9:58:38 PM  Show Profile
Have you tried skipping the batter all together? I just marinade overnight with buttermilk & shake off the excess, then dredge in flour. I use about an inch or so of oil in the pan on a med/high heat & cook for about 6-7 minutes per side. You might also want to check the temp of your oil with a candy thermometer. It should be about 350 degrees, but not over. Good luck!

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama

April is Autism Awareness month. Autism affects 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys, including my son). Go to http://www.autismspeaks.org/ to learn more and help Light It Up Blue on April 2nd!

Edited by - sjmjgirl on Apr 25 2012 10:01:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  09:55:03 AM  Show Profile
Why do you soak it in buttermilk all day?

I have had trouble getting chicken (baked or fried) done all the way through. Ron usually will just stick it in the microwave for a minute if he's really hungry.

With fried, though, I put a lid on the skillet if I think the meat won't be done in time.

Maybe you've got too much coating and it is cooking before the heat can penetrate into the meat.

Ron's mom baked her chicken and didn't dredge it in anything. I did that for years and we all liked it that way. Now I dredge it in flour, salt, pepper, herbs before I fry it. I like LOTS of gravy!

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Fried Chicken Help!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page