Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic My Donkey is Limping Next Topic  

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2012 :  5:22:10 PM  Show Profile
My nine month old gelding has a hoof abscess. I noticed this evening when I fed him that he was limping a little. On closer inspection, I saw that his right front hoof is split near the top and it runs down along the side. I immediately called the farrier, who, thankfully, happened to be traveling near my farm. She said that he has an abscess, which is common and most likely caused by all the wet weather we've been having. She likened it to a pimple, saying that when the abscess happens it attempts to come to a head. She cleaned it and the infection oozed out. Then, she shot it full of iodine and I'm to do the same until it heals. She said that he would be fine. He is my tough little man, always kicking up his heels and sometimes tries to nibble my feet. He is a pistol, but it hurts me when he's hurting. Wish I could post a picture of him, but whenever I try to I always fail. Must be doing something wrong.

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2012 :  7:04:01 PM  Show Profile
One of our horses has the same thing going on. Hers hasn't erupted. We have been waiting for it to for a few weeks, but she is looking better. We took her to the vet and she said that it might not erupt but if it does it will immediately feel better. Where your donkeys oozing is exactly where she said it would probably erupt right along the coronet band. A farrier friend of mine said that she sees more of it when the snow melts cause their hooves are softened it's sort of like a bruise that sometimes turns into an abscess. Your donkey should be feeling better soon. After you clean it you might want to try putting bioazide on it. It's an antibiotic cream like neosporin only comes in a larger container for horses thus it's cheaper. We get it from our vet for about 14.00 for a jar of it.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2012 :  7:38:51 PM  Show Profile
hi there girls, along the same lines may i add a question? maudie my rescue jersey has corns on her back hooves. right between her toes she is a rescue because she was born knock kneed. she was on a dairy. her hooves were 14 inches long no lie. they were curled up like elves. i have had a man with a cow table do her feet. do you know what i could do for her corns? natural or other wise. the man said there was probably a remedy. any ideas from you would be great. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2012 :  7:50:03 PM  Show Profile
It takes about two weeks for the abscess to "come to a head". The quicker it finds an exit spot the better. Sometimes an abscess will tunnel around for a bit before it finds a way out. Welcome it when you see it, because it will be a big relief to your fuzzy friend. The hoof wall will look ugly for awhile, but that is nature.

Old-timey farrier and vet practices tried to "help" the abscess by providing an exit spot by digging holes or doing resections. Slowly that practice is going away, and hoof care professionals are adopting the idea of letting it exit on its own, as hard as it is to see your friend limping around.

Abscesses occur from a simple sole bruise, a horse shoe nail driven into the quick, a change in diet, or even a slight fever....all kinds of things. The more an equine has the ability to move, the faster they will drive out the abscess. A horse standing in a stall will recover from an abscess much slower than a horse turned out on pasture.

I hope your young one gets over it quickly!!

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.

"Look deep into Nature, and then you will understand everything better."--Albert Einstein
"A meal of bread, cheese and beer constitutes the perfect food." --Queen Elizabeth I
http://www.etsy.com/shop/StrawHouseDesigns
Go to Top of Page

Megan
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Megan
Hudson South Dakota
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  3:08:30 PM  Show Profile
grandpa showed me how to use a hoof knife to cut the abscess open to let it drain.... But if it goes all the way through the foot a vet is your best bet. if you want the hoof to grow out fast when it healed you can try pine tar.... I use it to dry out wet hooves and get my mares to grow...
Good Luck hope that the critter gets better.

www.rockriverexoticsandkennel.net
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2012 :  07:14:20 AM  Show Profile
soak it in warm water and epsome salts a couple times a day. It will help draw out the infection.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2012 :  08:10:02 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, girls, for all of the helpful info. The farrier did clean it out and let it drain, then applied iodine. I've been doing that, too, but a couple days ago I hit a sensitive spot and the "little man" jumps and kicks whenever I tried to apply it now. It would be wonderful if I could soak his hoof, but you don't know my donkey. He's not yet a year old and full of spunk. It's like trying to catch a jack rabbit and if I put a halter on him and tie him to a post he'll still kick and twirl around as best he can. I'll continue to apply the iodine and keep a close eye on him. The farrier comes again soon.

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2012 :  10:58:21 AM  Show Profile
Our mare is still having a problem with hers. It hasn't busted yet. I was talking to a farrier friend yesterday about drilling it and she said that if one does that then they may be looking at having an open wound longer. She said also that if I do then I might consider putting a healing boot on her to keep it sterile.
Laura

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2012 :  6:05:33 PM  Show Profile
Laura,

My farrier said that they do put boots on horses, but typically not on donkeys. I didn't see any signs in my donkey, i.e., limping prior to the busting open of the abscess. She cleaned it and applied the iodine. I was able to put some iodine on it tonight, but I had to act fast. Sorry your mare is having problems. Hope she gets better soon.

Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2012 :  6:23:17 PM  Show Profile
I hope your boy bets better soon too.
Laura

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - May 15 2012 :  08:33:15 AM  Show Profile
My "little man" is all better, but Sunday evening I noticed that mommy is limping. I worked on her hoof last evening, trying to clean it out good and she lifted it for me like she was glad to have it cleaned. This morning she is still walking stiffly on that front left leg. She lifted her hoof again for me to clean, which I did as best I know how. I'm not an expert. The farrier will try to come early evening to take a look. If she doesn't see a problem with the hoof, then I'll contact the vet. I've inspected her entire leg and can see no evidence of bites or of swelling. With the exception of the limping, she seems just fine and has a hearty appetite, even played a little with her baby boy. They like to give each other love bites!

Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - May 15 2012 :  6:06:08 PM  Show Profile
The farrier was here this evening. Looks like mommy has an abscess now, just like her baby boy. Can't figure out why these critters have so many problems with their hooves. Hopefully, the abscess will come to a head soon so that she'll get some relief.

Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - May 16 2012 :  06:20:08 AM  Show Profile
Sorry to hear about mommy getting an abscess too. I'm waiting for one to blow on my Tennessee Walker. It was starting to ooze at the coronary band yesterday afternoon. I think we might be getting close to the light at the end of the tunnel. Poor guy will be so happy when that thing works its way out.
Are your donkeys on rich grass? Abscesses are often diet related. The abscess occurs because of necrotic tissue inside the hoof capsule during or after a laminitic episode. The horse or donkey may or may not show all of the signs of laminitis (founder), but in the case of my TWH, he had been on a little more grass than he should have for a few days, and the next thing you know, he had an abscess. Both my TWH and my Haflinger pony are founder rehabs that I watch like a hawk and keep on a pasture track with hay as their primary diet. I took a chance and allowed them in to the arena that had some grass in it, and Prince's abscess immediately raised the red flag that they were getting too much grass.
Since both of your donkeys have gotten abscesses, it makes me wonder if there isn't something going on with their diet. If they aren't on grass, is there something different with their feed that might be causing issues...think about what has changed in the last month.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090

"Look deep into Nature, and then you will understand everything better."--Albert Einstein
"A meal of bread, cheese and beer constitutes the perfect food." --Queen Elizabeth I
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - May 16 2012 :  08:22:33 AM  Show Profile
Hey Paula,

Thanks for all the info. I had no idea that a rich diet can contribute to hoof abscess. And, my donkeys have free range to lots of grass, mainly fescue. Mommy Bella has always had access to the pasture and has never had problems before now. I am feeding her Southern States Triple Crown Lite with a little added mineral once a day and the baby is still on SS Mare and Foal. They don't get that much --- about a pound to a pound and a half a day. I don't give them hay until the pasture grass is depleted. I will have to look into the grass issue as I don't won't them to founder. One other thing. The farrier suggested soaking Bella's hoof in warm water to encourage the abscess to erupt. Queenmushroom posted here and suggested doing just that with the addition of Epsom Salts. This will be a challenge, but I'll give it a go. Have you tried this with your horses?

Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - May 16 2012 :  09:02:02 AM  Show Profile
Hi Karen,
If your temperatures have been a little out of wack this year, or if the grass is stressed in any way, it will send out a lot more sugar to the parts of the grass that the horses/donkeys will eat. So if they did okay on grass one year, but if in the next year the grass is more stressed, the animals will ingest more sugar, which may cause problems.
I would also strongly suggest inspecting the ingredient content of your feed. It doesn't matter how it is marketed or if it is the most popular feed on the market. If it has a high amount of sugar in the ingredients, it should not be fed.
If you have the time to spend several hours a day soaking your donkey's hoof then I think it certainly could help. It also depends on where the abscess is located in the hoof as to how much the poultice or soaking will help. An abscess can tunnel around anywhere inside a hoof.
Horses with sore hooves really, really appreciate a soft muddy spot to stand in. That way, they can "self medicate".

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090

Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - May 18 2012 :  6:43:37 PM  Show Profile
Paula,

I have an excellent farrier and she assures me that Bella doesn't show any signs of lamitis or founder. She observed that Bella is not overweight or cresty and that if she had founder it would be in both her front hoofs. I am cleaning the hoof on a daily basis and applying iodine and have not seen anything wrong with her hoof bed. The farrier is convinced that it's an abscess that will soon break. I'm praying that she's right and that my poor girl feels better soon. Thanks for all the advice.

Karen

Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - May 19 2012 :  06:48:17 AM  Show Profile
Our mare has one of these things but hasn't erupted. Our farrier said that she sees a lot of this in the spring after the snow melts because the snow makes the hooves softer and can open them up to problems. If you have recently gotten a lot of wet weather followed by dry it could be a factor. Our vet told us to soak the hoof in warm epsom salt water. She also said we can wrap up the foot with dry epsom salt in the bandage and it would also draw it out. But our mare would just paw it off within half a day, also its been so long without erupting that now the vet is thinking it could be a fracture. So I guess xrays it is. Hope your donkeys are doing better soon :)
Laura

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - May 25 2012 :  11:54:38 AM  Show Profile
Hello Laura,

Bella is all well now. She must have sprained her leg or maybe her hoof bed was sore. She never had an abscess eruption, so it is a mystery. I am cleaning hers and baby boy's hooves on a daily basis now. That is, I'm cleaning the front ones. I haven't got up the courage to tackle those back ones. Donkeys can kick from the side and I've watched the farrier fight with them on the back ones, so I'll leave those for her to do!

Karen

Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - May 25 2012 :  11:57:23 AM  Show Profile
Laura,

I also meant to say that I hope your mare is doing well and that it's not anything as bad as a fracture. It's so hard when our beloved animals hurting.

Karen

Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - May 25 2012 :  12:42:36 PM  Show Profile
Karen,
Great news on your donkey. So glad she is better. If you need to maintain her back hooves without the help of your farrier, as weird as it sounds, standing very close to her is actually safer than standing out away from her, so your body blocks a kick before the hoof can gain momentum. My mule sometimes tries that circle swing with her hind legs too.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090

Edited by - StrawHouseRanch on May 25 2012 12:51:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - May 25 2012 :  4:20:34 PM  Show Profile
Another good way to get horses and I presume mules desensitized and learn to give their feet is to put a rope behind their back leg while you are staying to their side toward the front and just hold both sides and move it up and down their leg so they get used to it and eventually begin to lift their foot as you pull forward holding both ends of the rope. I hope I'm saying it right but it is very easy to do. Just be careful to stand away from her before you move the rope around. You can just lay the rope in a u shape then lead her forward till one back foot is in the u then pick up both ends and get her used to the way it feels. Juust keep your head away.
Laura

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic My Donkey is Limping Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page