YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  10:06:26 AM  Show Profile
I have a rather impressive/large Willow tree in my front yard. Every day for the last week or so, the characteristic low 'buzzzz' is back. I'm always so happy to see the bees, and I'm wondering if it's normal for a Willow to draw a few hundred bees for the entire day spanning over many weeks each spring?

Also, what flowers can I get for my bee friends so they will want to hang out long term?

~Natalie~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana. http://mtnme.blogspot.com
Starting a family and raising Tibetan Yaks, Highland cattle, Laying hens, Muscovy ducks, Silver Fox rabbits, and a few dogs.

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  6:23:33 PM  Show Profile
Just wondering if you've been able to see the bees. Last year we had a gigantic hornet's nest in our Pin Oak tree.

Honeybees and Bumble Bees love Bee Balm, which is a beautiful perennial that spreads quickly. I have the red and the purple and it is very fragrant. They also seem to be attracted to lavender and Russian sage.

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2012 :  08:27:30 AM  Show Profile
Natalie, we have a red maple tree in our front yard, and just as you see and hear, we have lots of bees in it buzzing very loudly. I see and hear that almost every year at this time.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Bees in the Willow Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page