Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Alfalfa Pellets Next Topic  

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2012 :  6:04:15 PM  Show Profile
A friend of mine uses alfalfa pellets as her organic fertilizer. She used them for the first time last year and had a very productive vegetable garden with gigantic tomatoes. These pellets are the kind that are fed to rabbits. She sprinkles them over her garden plot and then tills the ground. She buys the pellets at a local farm garden store. I've started planting my garden, using an organic fertilizer, but she reminded me about the alfalfa pellets so I'll be purchasing some for the rest of my garden. Has anyone else ever used alfalfa pellets in their gardens?

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2012 :  7:01:40 PM  Show Profile
Hm, I haven't, but I will give it a shot in the tomato box!

Not sure how your friend would know the pellets were Organic, though? Usually not listed on the feed bags I buy.

~Natalie~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana. http://mtnme.blogspot.com
Starting a family and raising Tibetan Yaks, Highland cattle, Laying hens, Muscovy ducks, Silver Fox rabbits, and a few dogs.
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  05:49:32 AM  Show Profile
Good point. We should make sure they're truly organic. I'm going to do an online search. I'll let you know what I find out. Thanks!

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  6:16:27 PM  Show Profile
Found out that some stores do carry certified organic alfalfa pellets. Alfalfa pellets are high in nitrogen. The organic fertilizer I started using this gardening season is Espona Garden-Tone, which is USDA certified organic. I have read some good reviews for it and will finish up the bag. The smell is a little strong, so I tried to be down wind and hold my breath while applying. Still unsure about purchasing the alfalfa pellets, as my soil probably needs more than just the nitrogen. Hopefully, someone who has used the pellets in their garden can post a review.

Go to Top of Page

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2012 :  05:53:02 AM  Show Profile
I am interested in hearing more from others on this as well.

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com
http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Alfalfa Pellets Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page