New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Spring Rain, Thaw and Floods... Next Topic  

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2005 :  09:14:59 AM  Show Profile
We used to live across the river in Pennsylvania (my 2 SIL are there) and our house was in the 50 year flood plain.There was even a high water mark on the back wall from 1953. In 1993 so much runoff ice and snow entered the river that as it came down stream we were flooded by this ice dam that filled the streets and then froze solid. It was quite something and very dangerous as heat and electricity were out and the warmest it got that week was 23. We all did our best and assumed it was a freak occurrence and that we wouldn't witness another in our lifetime. In September of this year, this same town experienced another flood that was just devastating to a large portion of it's inhabitants and they were just getting back to normal. In the last two days the river has crossed it's banks breached the canal and flooded an even larger area than before. Many towns from the Delaware Water Gap on down are experiencing flooding like they have never had before. After the BIG Flood in the 50's they took precautions and built dams etc, to prevent this from happening. It's time that plan be revised, and updated. This is a river that in a normal summer you can walk across. Keep everyone in your thoughts and prayers, we are going over to help with clean up so I maybe away for a bit.

with a happy heart

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2005 :  11:05:15 AM  Show Profile
Brave Bramble you have my thoughts and prayers for recovery and protection! I have seen the flooding news in your neck of the woods and have been thinking of you...Stay safe!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2005 :  7:23:21 PM  Show Profile
Bramble, I hope that the river is receding quickly and that you can help those who need it. My prayers are with you and everyone who is dealing with the water damage in their homes and businesses. Good luck to you.
jpbluesky

"Keep us here, all simply in the springing of the year." From A Prayer in Spring by Robert Frost
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2005 :  7:30:50 PM  Show Profile
We know Spring has arrived here because we can throw snowballs at the robins (just kidding). We had a very nice warm day just last week, sat on the porch with my cat, and Sunday we had 4 inches of snow! Rain tomorrow, flooding is predicted, streams are running high. Luckily we don't live near any streams but we will be OK, as long as the power doesn't go off. We had to put in a battery operated sump pump recently, as a backup to the electric one. My prayers to all who are in danger.

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2005 :  08:04:27 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the kind thoughts girls, by grace and forewarning,there were no fatalities this time. The property damage is another story, but both SIL were at elevations without damage so we were able to concentrate on helping our old neighbors. DH was able to arrange for some dumpsters to be delivered so that helped the cleanup process a bit. It was alot of drying out and moving mud, and it will go on for months in the areas flooded the worst. Everyone worked so hard to recover from the September flood, it's just hard for some of them to start the process over again so soon. One of our former neighbors is 93 years young and her spirit is remarkable. She looked at a mound of soil that had been "rearranged" and said with all seriousness "Well since I'm not of a mind to move that mound there , what do you think we should plant on it?" Remarkable, resilient people we have been fortunate to know. Keep them in your prayers.

with a happy heart

Edited by - bramble on Apr 11 2005 08:06:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2005 :  09:04:06 AM  Show Profile
Bramble glad you and family and neighbors are safe...Property can always be replaced, but floods ARE a nightmare! The midwest floods of 1993 were horrible! But the human spirit is stronger than anything that can be thrown at us! Your 93 year old neighbor is witness to that! I am sure they all appreciated the efforts of people like yourself and your family. By the way what does SIL mean?

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2005 :  10:09:14 AM  Show Profile
Jenny- SIL is Sister-in-law ! You are also an example of that resilience and strength as I remember asking you in another forum a long time ago why you choose to live in "Tornado alley". Were this weekend's so near to you that you could take pictures? That is one of those experiences that once was enough for me. Our news said that it was not in a populated area,I interpret that to mean primarily over fields and not residential/commercial areas. How much damage does that cause for farmers in your area? I guess early in the season is better than at harvest or mid season where you stand no chance of re-planting, etc. Stay out of the path of the dreadful things and be well!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2005 :  12:10:49 PM  Show Profile
Bramble This latest series of tornadoes were 60-80 miles west of me near Russell, my Mom's hometown. I still have dear kin there so I was much concerned... They ( the twisters) formed over open farmground but did pass over I-70 interstate. The only damage was uprooted trees and shingles blown off some buildings gratefully. No populated areas were struck. I did not get pics of these twisters but have some of recent years, right in my own backyard so to speak. They are an awesome and deadly power of nature, but too close to take photos is TOO close for comfort for me. I always have a clear path to the basement when observing these monsters. Ever since I was little, every spring I always have nightmares about them. Never a dull moment in springtime in Kansas!

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2005 :  6:13:17 PM  Show Profile
Jenny- Thank goodness,glad to hear no one was near those things! I did think about you when I heard the news last night and said an extra prayer for all of you. Keep out of harms way and let's hope that you aren't in the front row for any more!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2005 :  11:39:03 AM  Show Profile
Hey Bayoubunch, Heard today on news Louisiana has been flooding...Hope you all are safe and out of harms way...Soapmaven is down that way too. Sending prayers to you all... Jenny

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Spring Rain, Thaw and Floods... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page