princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2012 :  4:11:28 PM  Show Profile
My husband and I buy alot of food in bulk from Gordon Food Service Stores. Many times the canned veggies are on sale and we have been tempted to buy them. My question is: After I open them would it be safe to canned the leftovers in my canning jars? Of course I would water-bathe them. Any ideas on how I could store the leftovers so I could use them at a later time without them going bad?

Thanks
Arttie

meggy2
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

barb
Flemington Missouri
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2012 :  7:17:16 PM  Show Profile
Arrtie:
Please don't recan veggies, especially with a hot water bath. Most veggies must be pressure canned and if you re-pressure and can them, I think they would be mush with not much nutritional value. NEVER hot water bath green beans, corn, etc. Botulism is not worth saving an extra .20 a can. You can safely can tomatoes and jellies and pickles with hot water baths, Invest in the ball canning book. It has wonderful safe recipes that you can make. You may be able to freeze the leftover veggies, but they will be degraded and I would only warm them up once, :)
Barb
Go to Top of Page

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  04:00:27 AM  Show Profile
Barb,
Thanks you. I wasn't sure if it was safe to do this. We usually stick to our garden veggies and some frozen stuff. But this time of the year I am getting desperate to put veggies on the table as we are running out of everything from the winter. But I am not willing to risk everyone's health to save money.

Thanks a bunch
Arttie
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic buying bulk veggies Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page