smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2012 :  5:40:56 PM  Show Profile
In the midst of the vegetable garden frenzy I finally got around to the rootbound houseplants. Some made me feel so guilty! I clipped and repotted and cme out with 7 new pots of plants after dividing and conquering! Who else loves indoor jungles lol?

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2012 :  9:27:58 PM  Show Profile
Lea, I'm a jungle lover. When we moved up to Cheyenne we moved into a teeny tiny apartment at first so I had to take my indoor babies to the office. They love it there so even though now I have plenty of room for them I've kept them at the office. I guess if I ever lose my job I'll be scrambling getting them out of there. I've got a large gardenia (which is horribly pot bound and I need to tend to it desperately but it's blooming), a huge scheffelera, a large mother-in-laws tongue, two african violets, a arrowhead, a very old flowering plant (the name escapes me right now) and a rosemary, oh I'm forgetting the dracena. I also had 4 slips of forsythia that I rooted from my plant in Colorado and never got them in the ground last year so I overwintered them at the office. I've since brought them to the house and an hardening them off in hope of transplanting them in the landscape this spring. Just recently I had a friend give me cuttings from her spider plant and geranium that I'm trying to get to root.

Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2012 :  9:29:50 PM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
I too love indoor jungles, I've had the same spider plant for over forty years.. can't stand to see someone throw them out so I bring them home!!
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2012 :  5:50:59 PM  Show Profile
40 years wow! That is awesome.
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2012 :  6:57:23 PM  Show Profile
I think my houseplants have a suicide pact going. I should send the poor little souls to you ladies. Actually I might give them to my vet, they get all my money too anyway. And her office has a glass ceiling and her plants love it! So I would get to see them. I think my house just doesn't get enough light. I would miss them though. I have one plant that my Mom gave me right before she died.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2012 :  11:06:24 PM  Show Profile
I don't have any indoor plants... but, I had to say 40 years is remarkable for a spider plant!
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  07:21:34 AM  Show Profile
One of my goals this year is to NOT kill houseplants. I am proud to say that I have kept an African Violet going for 3 months now and it has grown so much and is putting more and more flowers out :)

Does anyone know if I need to use African Violet Potting Mix instead of regular potting soil for starting violets?

Can you ladies give me advice on what plants are hardiest? I would love to have more but I think I need something easy :)

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  07:54:00 AM  Show Profile
I have 17 houseplants and always having a fight with myself not to get anymore, but I usually give in when I see one that needs saved or that I just can't resist.
Nancy Jo

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  1:51:20 PM  Show Profile
Sharon, yes you need to use AV potting mix to start new violets. Don't remember know why (menopause is a terrible thing to do to your memory) but I remember that mine always did better when they got the special mix. I always thought the arrowhead plants were almost fool proof. Mother-In-Laws tongue don't need much light or water so those are pretty hardy.

And for those with less than adequate lighting, I saw a light stick you can put in your plants to give it the extra light it needs. Saw them at our local Sutherlands (lumber/home improvement store). Thought those were a fabulous idea!

Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2012 :  2:16:05 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Audrey for the light stick idea. Are the lightsticks some sort of growlights or does regular lighting help plants some too?
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Houseplants Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page