Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2012 :  05:56:04 AM  Show Profile
About four years ago, I was gifted some 75 year old heirloom rhubarb and it is flourishing. I love rhubarb and have some favorite recipes. I was just hoping that some of you could help me with freezing tips. Mine always seems to get squishy when I thaw it out. Also, do you have any canning tips? Here are a couple of my favorite fresh rhubarb recipes.

Rhubarb Pie

Ingredients
4 cups chopped rhubarb
1 1/3 cups white sugar
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon butter
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
2. Combine sugar and flour. Sprinkle 1/4 of it over pastry in pie plate. Heap rhubarb over this mixture. Sprinkle with remaining sugar and flour. Dot with small pieces of butter. Cover with top crust.
3. Place pie on lowest rack in oven. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), and continue baking for 40 to 45 minutes. Serve warm or cold.

Oma's Rhubarb Cake

Ingredients
1 1/4 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup sour cream
3 cups diced rhubarb

1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
ground cinnamon, for dusting

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch baking dish.
2. In a large bowl, stir together 1 1/4 cups sugar, baking soda, salt and 2 cups flour. Stir in the eggs and sour cream until smooth, then fold in the rhubarb. Pour into the prepared dish and spread evenly. In a smaller bowl, stir together the remaining 1 cup sugar and butter until smooth. Stir in 1/4 cup flour until the mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle the mixture on top of the cake then dust lightly with cinnamon.
3. Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.

Rhapple (Rhubarb/Apple Jam)

Ingredients
3 cups diced rhubarb
3 cups diced peeled apples
2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 (2 ounce) package dry pectin

Directions
1. In a large saucepan mix together the rhubarb, apples, sugar, water and cinnamon. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat for 20 minutes or until the fruit is soft. Stir in the pectin and boil for 5 minutes.
2. Ladle into sterile jars, wipe rims with a clean cloth or paper towel, and seal with new lids. Process in a bath of simmering water for at least 10 minutes, or as recommended by your local extension if you are at a high altitude. Store unopened jars in a cool dark place. Refrigerate jam after opening.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White

Edited by - Fiddlehead Farm on Apr 11 2012 07:28:41 AM

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2012 :  06:07:58 AM  Show Profile
Mine always gets squishy, too - would love to hear some tips!

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 teenagers, 2 bunnies, 2 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Check out my blog: http://www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com
and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker), Twitter (@sphomemaker), and Pinterest (Suburban Prairie Homemaker)

Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2012 :  06:50:21 AM  Show Profile
I like to make a rhubarb sauce and can it for use in the winter... Mostly over ice cream but I've also made what I call a "winter cobbler" which I put in a jar or two of my rhubarb, throw over that a cobbler topping and serve warm/hot with ice cream on top or on the side sprinkled with a little brown sugar... Perfect for a chilly winter evening!!! I've never heard of rhubarb apple jam, I totally have to make that this year! I usually make strawberry rhubarb jam!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2012 :  07:27:54 AM  Show Profile
That rhubarb/apple jam is to die for! I usually don't have to add pectin, it is pretty thick from the apples. It turns out like a thick apple butter.
Rhubarb crisp is also one of my favorites with a scoop of ice cream!

farmgirl sister #922

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White

Edited by - Fiddlehead Farm on Apr 11 2012 07:29:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

Hoosiermom
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Beth
Alexandria IN
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2012 :  08:10:54 AM  Show Profile
I make a rhubarb cake that is to die for!! If you don't tell that rhubarb is in it, anyone will eat it...there are enough of this cake. May recipe probably is about like Diane's but I will post it anyway. Seems rhubarb is one of those things that there aren't a lot of recipes for.

1/2 c butter 1 c buttermilk
1 1/2c white sugar 4 c chopped rhubarb(10-12stalks)
1 egg 1 T all purpose flour
1 t vanilla 1/4 c butter
2 c all purpose flour 2 t cinnamon
1 t baking soda 1 c packed brown sugar
1/4 t salt
-Cream together butter & sugar & beat in egg & vanilla in large bowl.
-In another bowl, sift together 2 cups flour, soda, & salt. Add sifted ingredients altnernately with buttermilk to creamed mixture.
-Toss rhubarb with 1 T flour and stir into batter. Pour into buttered 9x13 pan & smooth surface.
-Last blend together 1/4 c butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar & sprinkle on top.
-Bake 350 for 45min or until done

**Enjoy**

Beth
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2012 :  08:46:23 AM  Show Profile
Are you all harvesting rhubarb already? Mine is only about 6 or 7 inches tall so far. How tall do you let it grow before you cut the stalks? This is the first year I will be able to harvest mine.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.

"Look deep into Nature, and then you will understand everything better."--Albert Einstein
"A meal of bread, cheese and beer constitutes the perfect food." --Queen Elizabeth I
http://www.etsy.com/shop/StrawHouseDesigns
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2012 :  08:59:40 AM  Show Profile
Paula,
I harvest mine from early spring until fall! The secret is to keep harvesting and not let it go to flower heads. Also, don't cut it, take the outside stalks firmly in your hands and pull and rock until it lets loose. Rhubarb leaves are very poisonous but are Ok for composting. If you keep harvesting, it will continue to send up more stalks. If you see a big bud, cut it off!

farmgirl sister #922

- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2012 :  09:56:47 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Diane! I'm so excited, I can finally make something with rhubarb!!

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090

"Look deep into Nature, and then you will understand everything better."--Albert Einstein
"A meal of bread, cheese and beer constitutes the perfect food." --Queen Elizabeth I
Go to Top of Page

Hoosiermom
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Beth
Alexandria IN
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2012 :  11:08:09 AM  Show Profile
I would love to know a good way to freeze it too. Also, asparagus...I love fresh asparagus, but have never been about to freeze it too my liking. Always to mushy when I cook it after I have frozen it. Any tips for rhubarb or aspargus would be great!

Beth
Go to Top of Page

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2012 :  10:54:38 AM  Show Profile
I am making the cake to take to a craft show with me this weekend. Thanks for the recipe.

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com
http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2012 :  12:33:17 PM  Show Profile
I love rhubarb and I really appreciate your recipes. Mine isn't quite ready to be picked yet. I got mine from my Windy Pines cousin, Michele. I don't know how old it is, maybe Michele can let us know!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

mickib
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Michele
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
267 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2012 :  2:53:56 PM  Show Profile
Lucky you, Diane. It will probably be more than a month before I get any - and I have to beg it from other people. I cut mine into 1" pieces and freeze it. It's a little squishy. I made rhuberry bars last week out of some that was frozen last summer and it still had lots of texture, I mashed and mashed to get it incorporated into the berries. I'm going to have to try making some of that jam!
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2012 :  3:20:20 PM  Show Profile

My rhubarb patch, I have already picked it once!

farmgirl sister #922

- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2012 :  4:21:28 PM  Show Profile
Mines not quite ready to cut yet, we're still having some cold weather here. The way I freeze it is to rinse it off before cutting it up, dry it off, cut into pieces and put in a freezer bag. I have never had a problem with it being mushy.

Another tip: When harvesting, take leaves from the harvested stalks and put them under the plant, overlapping around the base. It will choke out weeds and add nutrients to the soil. Don't forget to save the seed heads to start other plants!

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama

April is Autism Awareness month. Autism affects 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys, including my son). Go to http://www.autismspeaks.org/ to learn more and help Light It Up Blue on April 2nd!

Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1501 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1501 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2012 :  09:43:08 AM  Show Profile
My rhubarb is up and almost a foot tall already. Another week or so and I'll be able to harvest as well. The Rhubarb Apple jam and Rhubarb cake recipes sound scruptious...I'm going to have to try them this year!

I have never tried freezing Rhubarb, but my grandma always did so using syrup. I recently purchased "The Big Book of Preserving the Harvest" by Carole Costenbader and it says to chose firm, tender red stalks for freezing. Wash and cut into small pieces and remove tough stalks. Blanch for 1 1/2 minutes in steam or boiling water and dry pack. Or, wet pack in sugar syrup without blanching. It doesn't say if you use light, medium or heavy syrup though.

Being of Swedish heritage, one of my family's favorite Rhubarb recipes is fruit pudding:

Rhubarb Kräm

5-6 Stalks Rhubarb cut into pieces (You can also add some strawberries if you have them)
2 Cups water
1 Cup Sugar
2 Tbs Cornstarch

Cook the rhubarb in water with the sugar until it just soft. Dissolve the cornstarch in bit of cold water and stir into the hot mixture. Stir until thickened. Transfer to individual serving dishes that have been rinsed in hot water. Allow to cool. To serve sprinkle with sugar and serve with cream. You can also use whipped cream if you wish.

Another family favorite is Rhubarb Betty:

Rhubarb Betty

2 Lb Rhubarb stalks, trimmed and cut into 2" pieces
1/4 Cup Water
1 1/2 - 2 Cups Sugar
2 Cups Breadcrumbs
6 Tablespoons melted butter
2 Cups fresh sliced strawberries, sweetened
Heavy Cream

Heat oven to 350 F. Put Rhubarb in pan with water and sugar and cook until tender. Set aside. Put the breadcrumbs in a bowl with the melted butter and mix to coat all the crumbs. Spread the cooked rhubarb in a 8x8 inch baking dish. Sprinkle the crumb mixture over the top. Bake for 30 minutes or till crumbs are lightly browned. Serve with a spoonful of sliced strawberries on the side. Top with cream or whipped cream.

Can't wait till my harvest time arrives!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Hoosiermom
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Beth
Alexandria IN
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2012 :  10:48:27 AM  Show Profile
I love this! Even if I don't find a new way to freeze rhubard, I have many new recipes to try!

Rhubarb coming out my ears too..Beth
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2012 :  07:00:02 AM  Show Profile

Rhubarb Pie made with the recipe above.

Slice of pie with vanilla ice cream! The only thing I did different with the recipe is instead of
sprinkling the sugar/flour mixture in the bottom of the crust lined pan and on top of the rhubarb, I
tossed the rhubarb in the mixture and then put it in the pie plate. Turned out scrumptious!

farmgirl sister #922

- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2012 :  08:21:40 AM  Show Profile
Well I can't help you since I live way far away from you, but the pie does look good, guess you could bake like 50 of them and freeze them. Or not.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2012 :  11:34:10 AM  Show Profile
You can put the whole pie in a canning jar and freeze it for baking later!
Here's how:
http://www.tipjunkie.com/jar-homemade-gifts/

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090

Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2012 :  4:57:17 PM  Show Profile
Paula,
That link is awesome! Thanks!

farmgirl sister #922

- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

michgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Mary
Glendale WI
USA
148 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2012 :  06:03:34 AM  Show Profile
Goning to try the rhubarb apple jam this weekend! I have made strawberry rhubarb many times, but the strawberries are not out yet, so this sounds like big fun!! Thanks for the recipe!!
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2012 :  06:12:56 AM  Show Profile
Diane, the pie looks delicious. Paula , thanks for sharing the link. I never realized that rhubarb would produce all summer!

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2012 :  07:15:42 AM  Show Profile
I don't have any tips, but I can always take some off your hands for ya'! :)

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/MilitaryFarmGirl
Go to Top of Page

Hoosiermom
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Beth
Alexandria IN
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2012 :  6:09:32 PM  Show Profile
I just found this recipe today at amishrecipebox.com. I haven't made it yet, but I think it sounds interesting so I may try a batch.
Rhubarb Punch 4 lb. rhubarb
4 qt. water
2 c. sugar
1 c. pineapple juice
1 (6oz) can frozen orange juice

Directions

Boil rhubarb and water until soft.
Drain and add the remaining ingredients in given order.
Put into jars and can.
For a refreshing snack drink, add 7-up.

If anyone has made this before, what did you think?

Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2012 :  06:36:56 AM  Show Profile
I made my first rhubarb dish this weekend. It is a rhubarb strawberry crisp recipe I found online. It is not as sweet as some, which I like better...tastes better with ice cream that way!
Filling:
1 1/2 C Chopped rhubarb
1 1/2 C Chopped strawberries
1/4 C Turbinado sugar
2 t Whole wheat flour
1 t Cinnamon
Topping:
1/2 C Butter
1/2 C Oats
1/4 C Turbinado sugar
1/4 C Whole wheat flour
1/2 t Cinnamon
1/2 C Chopped nuts (I used pecans)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Mix filling ingredients and place in the bottom of a 8 inch cast iron pan.
Mix topping ingredients and sprinkle on top of filling.
Bake for 25 minutes +/- depending on your oven.

Serve warm with ice cream.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090

Go to Top of Page

michgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Mary
Glendale WI
USA
148 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2012 :  11:01:08 AM  Show Profile
I made the rhubarb apple jam it is is delish!!!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Rhubarb coming out of my ears! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page