Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 I don't have a book to read (gasp!)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic I don't have a book to read (gasp!) Next Topic  

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2012 :  7:47:58 PM  Show Profile
So a few days ago I finished the last book in my stack to read (one of the Miss Read "Thrush Green" books). It's amazing how life seems to be, well, missing something, when I'm not in the middle of a story. Lunch break, bedtime...there's nothing to look forward to! I'm sure you've been there, right? I'm sure I'll find something soon, but I'm open to suggestions. ;)

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2012 :  08:40:37 AM  Show Profile
Get thee to a used book store, fast!!! I'm totally at loose ends when I run out of reading material.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2012 :  09:45:30 AM  Show Profile
I know what you mean. I've been re-reading my favorite books, again!!!!! I won't mention my favorite four books again. I've mentioned them lots of time. I think some of you must laugh when I put the titles down. But... those books truly are the best to me.
I don't have time to get to a book store or a used book store. I do have time to order books online, however.... I tend to order too many books!
Melina: your comment made me laugh, in a good way; "Get thee to a used book store, fast!!!" I have said that to a friend of mine before.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2012 :  10:53:30 AM  Show Profile
There are three really old books that I dearly love. "You'll Like My Mother," which was made into a movie starring Patty Duke and Richard Thomas. It is very suspenseful. The other two are by Dorothy Eden: "Waiting for Willa" and "An Afternoon Walk." If you like mysteries, then these are for you. You can probably find them in the library or online, but I bought mine at used bookstores and Goodwill.

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2012 :  07:24:06 AM  Show Profile
Bella, thanks for those suggestions. You've got my tastes pegged, all right. My favorite reading is mid-century and older. The name Dorothy Eden sounded familiar...turns out I've got one book by her already: The Shadow Wife. I LOVE that sort of mystery/thriller. Have you read anything by Mary Stewart? She's one of my all-time favs.
Go to Top of Page

pennyhenny
True Blue Farmgirl

304 Posts

Missy
Dayton OH
USA
304 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2012 :  07:32:16 AM  Show Profile
I'm heading to the library tomorrow to grab a new read for the week. I adore libraries and with how quickly I read they save me so much money.

hugs,
-missy-

http://citychickblogging.blogspot.com/

Sisterhood Member#4003

Happiness held is the seed; Happiness shared is the flower.
John Harrigan
Go to Top of Page

AmethystRose
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Rosemary
Huntingdon PA
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2012 :  12:20:42 PM  Show Profile
Amie C., you might be interested in this blog for April 13--
http://lettersfromahillfarm.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2012 :  5:11:55 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness! I had no idea Miss Read was still alive. I actually only just discovered her. I found three of her books at a library book sale last month, including the very first, Village School, and one of the much later ones. She sounds like a lovely person.
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2012 :  6:40:55 PM  Show Profile
Amie,

There are two wonderful books by Mary Stewart: "Rose Cottage" and "Thornyhold." I have both of them on cassettes and they are read by Jane Asher and Samantha Eggar. I find that some of the British books are best heard and not necessarily read, but that's just me. Hearing a beautiful British accent somehow gets me into the story and transports me to the place and time. I like to listen to books on tape or CD whenever I'm walking or doing housework. I guess this is double tasking!!! If I remember correctly, I purchased both of these online.

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2012 :  11:56:09 AM  Show Profile
I agree about visiting a thrift store or used book store. Lots of fun!

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

From my hands: http://pioneerpatchworkhomespun.blogspot.com/

From my Camera: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pioneerwomanatheart/
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2012 :  7:08:18 PM  Show Profile
I'm hoping to get out to some garage sales this weekend. Perhaps some treasures await me in the boxes of old books...

In the meantime, I rediscovered War and Peace. Back in January, I got the idea from a blog to read the classic Tolstoy novel one chapter per day--it's 366 chapters, 365 days in the year. But I found it hard to keep to the schedule. I typically read books in huge gulps, not a bit at a time. So now that I'm workin in a job that restricts my internet access severely, I'm getting through a lot of Tolstoy on my lunch breaks!

Bella, I love Thornyhold. I've never gotten into books on tape, but I might just try it for that one. That's one of her later books, I know. You might also like her older, more thriller-focused books from the 1950s/1960s. My Brother Michael is one that I love. It's set in Greece and the mystery deals with both WWII and classical art.
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic I don't have a book to read (gasp!) Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page