Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2012 :  9:14:33 PM  Show Profile
Can someone tell me the difference between the praire and the plains?
We rode thru the OK land today, what I would call the praire-wide open land that you can see for miles-Oh, how my heart soars when I see that deep brown dirt. We drove 25 miles off RT 40 to see the Custer/Indian engagement memorial at Wash**a Battlefield (not Custers Last stand as I thought but the set up that lead to that). I'm not taking any sides here but the telling of that history changes from what I learned in school when you add the Indian side of things and was so interesting and sad. What Custers men did to the Indians that day would qualify as "war crimes" today. Just something to think about. It was an interesting exhibit, is now a National Historic Site and well worth going out of our way to see it.
The land then changed from farmfields to wild, rugged land of small, green shrubs and what looked like small dead shrubs. Sagebrush? This was in the "high plains" of the TX panhandle. The cows we saw were all black and looked like beef cows/not dairy. In TX we also passed by the White Deer wind farm. The towers are 226 ft high and each turbine blade is 180 ft long. The towers there generate 80 megawatts of electricity-enough to power 26,600 homes.
Forgot the mention yesterday that there are not many billboards by the side of the road but one of them said that there are more shoes made in AR than anywhere else in the country.
There was a very tall, towering cross just set by the roadside in Groom, TX. We also saw an owl sitting on the roof of a McDonalds. At first, I thought it was fake to pretend to be a preditor to keep other birds away but then I saw little birds poke their heads out of the nest the owl was watching over. So cool!
So now we've rolled into NM where the land changed again-to wide open green and brown land but now there are what look like mountains with the tops cut off. "Mesas or Buttes?" The land so moves me. You can drive for miles and never see another car or home, and then around the corner is a cluster of maybe 5 houses and then just more land. I assume the house cluster is multigeneration groups and it reminds me of my childhood where I saw my grandparents everyday. I have no idea what these people do for fun here; they are so spread out. It is so pretty and so quiet.
We drove several miles on RT 66 (off RT.40). Some old cars parked at a closed little diner, many, many small motels with cute names I can't remember now, and little souviner shops all old and closed now. One was called Tipi Treasures. So far we haven't gotten any different food but I have been to AZ before and I can't wait to eat some Indian Frybread.
I know, as every day goes by that there is no enough time for me to see everything that I want to see. We had to roll by the dinasour museum due to lack of time. Tomorrow we will see Albquerque and Easter Sunday we will see Santa Fe-1 day each is not long enough but it is all I have. We then move north to the 4 corners region-the only place in the country where 4 states touch each other-and then on to show my DH my beloved Arizona.
I so LOVE hearing other peoples stories. It touches my heart that I can "take" a few of you with me on this journey. Hugs, Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3320 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3320 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2012 :  9:29:43 PM  Show Profile
How is the weather holding out?

Gee....I always thought prairie and plains were one and the same?

It's so funny you mentioning "Buttes" on our trip out to South Dakota when the kids were small my youngest would pronounce the word as "Butts!" He thought it was hysterical!

I would love to see the wind farm. A few blocks from out house is a harbor where ships come to dock and pick up cargo from all over the country but lately they have been transporting a lot of those towers to places unknown. They are HUGE!

Sounds like you are having a blast Joey. I love reading your posts...feels as though I'm right there.

Take care and have a SAFE Easter!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2012 :  9:54:43 PM  Show Profile
Thanks again for the vivid journey Joey,I am really enjoying your trip right along with you! How cool!
Enjoy Albquerque and Sante Fe! Happy Easter if you dont/cant check in tomorrow too!
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

SpyChicken
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Christine
Fond du Lac WI
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2012 :  07:36:12 AM  Show Profile
I would have loved to see that owl! I love owls!! The scenery sounds just beautiful-hope the rest of your journey is as smooth as glass for you!
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1503 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1503 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2012 :  07:57:44 AM  Show Profile
Joey, your adventure sounds fun and exciting! I have been to Kansas and I love New Mexico and Arizona so I can just imagine the scenery as you drive along. I'm so jealous that you get to go to Santa Fe, 4 Corners and eat Indian Frybread!

To answer your question about Plains and Prairie......The term plains refers to the Great Plains region which is the interior lowland areas of the US including parts of the states of CO, MT, WY, KS, NB, ND, SD, OK, NM, TX. Prairie is a term that refers to the types of vegetation that grow in great plains states including temperate grasslands and shrub-steppe. I've spent a fair amount of time in the Tallgrass Prairie region of central KS and I had the very same question before I met a park ranger trained in geology and botany who spent about half an hour explaining it.

Enjoy your journey and have a happy holiday!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2012 :  3:16:05 PM  Show Profile
Joey
It is so nice to hear of your journey. Sorry you are missing a few of the sights, but sounds like you are still seeing ALOT! I never knew the difference between plains and prairie. Thanks, Marilyn. continue safely, Joey, and happy Easter.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13641 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13641 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2012 :  6:50:39 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Joey,
If you're coming to the FOUR CORNERS you are VERY, VERY close to me!!!!!! Did I say "VERY, VERY CLOSE" . . ?? It's true
I live in the southwest corner of Colorado, just outside of Cortez. Too bad there isn't time to "connect"!!!!

What part of Arizona are you going to see? The part around the FOUR CORNERS is not very populated with anything!
Happy Trails!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

musicmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Wendy
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2012 :  9:08:23 PM  Show Profile
I'm loving reading your updates...please keep them coming!

I forgot to get your letter off to you before you left, but I'm really hoping to meet up with you once you get up here.

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley

www.becomingwendy.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Weatward Ho Day 4 Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page