Page: of 2

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2012 :  5:34:44 PM  Show Profile
Okay, so I know this is the Reading Room, but there have been posts about television, so hear goes. I absolutely love the PBS Rosemary and Thyme series. In fact, I purchased all of the CDs. Anyone else out there familiar with the show? I wish they would make more. Felicity Kendal and Pam Ferris are two of my favorite British actresses and they made a delightful pair of gardeners/sleuths.

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson

SpyChicken
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Christine
Fond du Lac WI
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2012 :  06:31:41 AM  Show Profile
I've seen a few bits and pieces of "Rosemary and Thyme" but I think I'd like to see more-seemed pretty funny! We also loved "Are You Being Served?" and "The Vicar of Dibley." Also would like to try "Lark Rise to Candleford" and "Land Girls"...anyone tried those??
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2012 :  6:34:49 PM  Show Profile
I love all those British shows, especially "Are You Being Served?" The one that aired here in NC last Saturday night was about the staff's attempt to get fit for their upcoming physical exams. That's one of the funniest ones I've seen. I did tape "Lark Rise to Candleford" and look forward to watching it. Never heard of "Land Girls."

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson
Go to Top of Page

SpyChicken
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Christine
Fond du Lac WI
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2012 :  07:38:39 AM  Show Profile
Oh, too funny-I think we've seen that episode of "Are You Being Served?"...don't know much about Land Girls either except that I think it's about the home front in England during WWII...I was just finishing up "Great Expectations" from Masterpiece Classic last night-it was quite good!
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2012 :  08:03:04 AM  Show Profile
Karen,

How many seasons or episodes are there for Rosemary and Thyme? I have a seen maybe 6 episodes (from Netflix) and enjoyed them.

Christine,

I love Larkrise to Candleford :)

I will have to check out the other shows mentioned. I enjoy BBC more than most networks.

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2012 :  08:21:26 AM  Show Profile
I love the episodes I have seen too! Just the ones they have had available from netflix (I think about 8 of them) since I don't have cable. I would love to see more!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2012 :  09:23:29 AM  Show Profile
I guess I missed this. I will look for it.
Nancy Jo

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

SpyChicken
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Christine
Fond du Lac WI
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2012 :  09:42:10 AM  Show Profile
Well, now I HAVE to find Lark Rise to Candleford with such great reviews! Don't worry Nancy, I missed it too, but you can catch it on netflix and on youtube. Yay! A new series to love!
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2012 :  11:47:51 AM  Show Profile
Christine,

I have the three series sets which I purchased at Barnes & Noble. There are a total of 22 individual shows.

I'll just add two other series that I dearly love. Hetty Wainthrope Investigates (I have the entire series, again purchased at Barnes & Noble) and Emily of New Moon. Emily of New Moon is not British. I believe it's filmed on Prince Edward Island. I'm sure most of you are familiar with L. M. Montgomery's books and this series is based on one of them. I kept hoping that they would make more, but it seems that there will be just the 13 episodes that aired on PBS.

Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2012 :  7:04:38 PM  Show Profile
I've watched all three seasons and love these shows.
Go to Top of Page

SpyChicken
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Christine
Fond du Lac WI
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2012 :  06:57:42 AM  Show Profile
Karen, I'll have to check "Emily" out-I've seen the book at the library. Ah, Prince Edward Island-that's on my travel list!!
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2012 :  11:07:07 AM  Show Profile
I loved Rosemary&Thyme and watched them all. It started with our local library and then Netflix. Sure wanted it to go on and on...but....
I truely enjoy British shows and their humor....and of course their accents. I have Land-Girls in my Netflix queue to watch next. I watched and enjoyed Larkrise to Candleford(judy Dench is a fav of mine). I also just put in my queue,Good Neighbors(1975-77) with Felicity Kandle when she was young. Can't wait to start that one. Clatterford,Fawlty Towers and Poirot are some other good ones!
I really enjoy Brittish Comedy&Who-Done-Its!
Emily of New Moon was so good.I looked for another season, but ...no! *sniff*

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"

Edited by - herblady55 on Apr 17 2012 4:16:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

SpyChicken
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Christine
Fond du Lac WI
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2012 :  11:21:44 AM  Show Profile
Excellent choices, Judy!
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4740 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4740 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2012 :  6:06:04 PM  Show Profile
I am a huge Rosemary & Thyme fan. I even got my husband hooked on them too. We watch all the BBC programs on PBS. I've been a BBC fan since 1970. Their shows are so beautifully written and filmed. It never ceases to amaze me how they can do cast changes and not skip a beat. That is something the shows here have a hard time with.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2012 :  6:51:10 PM  Show Profile
I love how they always eat...you know...really eat. The British aren't afraid to eat on set and their women don't have to be rail thin to be stars. Gotta love that! LOL

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  04:15:08 AM  Show Profile
I just started watching Rosemary and Thyme last night...love it!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

meow
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

24 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2012 :  6:26:42 PM  Show Profile
Hello! FYI, Reading last couple of post has brighten my day.Thanks

Peace for now.
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2012 :  1:30:55 PM  Show Profile
Oh my, I'll have to see if our PBS station plays it... thanx for the heads up...

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

sweettea
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Candace
St Cloud MN
USA
55 Posts

Posted - May 30 2012 :  9:06:57 PM  Show Profile
I love Rosemary and Thyme! I have the whole series and frequently watch them with a pot of tea.

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

erowease
True Blue Farmgirl

294 Posts

Lesley
Edmonds wa
USA
294 Posts

Posted - May 31 2012 :  07:22:39 AM  Show Profile
Rosemary & Thyme is excellant I have always enjoyed shows with Felicity Kendall programs. Larkrise is good also. I rented Land Girls from Netflix and loved the series. Its always a disappointment when you reach the end of the program series.
I am currently watching the series "The Darling Buds of May" which is a fun view of British farm life with all the characters and happenings. All of the Anne of Green Gables series, Avonlea etc from Sullivan Entertainment are excellant shows. Prince Edward Island looks like such a beautiful place to live.
My all time favorite series is "All Creatures Great and Small" probably because some of the characters remind me of some of my Yorkshire relatives.

Lesley

"I see God in the eyes of every child...every life is precious to God, whatever the circumstances." Mother Teresa
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2012 :  12:58:30 PM  Show Profile
I finally started watching "Lark Rise to Candleford" and love it! It's funny to see the actress who played Saffy on "Absolutely Fabulous" as Dorcas and the guy from Downton Abbey. I set my recorder every Sunday to tape this show. Thanks for the recommendation!

Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2012 :  10:30:16 PM  Show Profile
Rosemary and Thyme is a wonderful show....I got hooked by the scenery and the pursuits of both thses beautiful and sassy ladies!

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

http://www.enchantedwoodwytchery.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

newfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Janis
Baker WV
101 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2012 :  4:32:09 PM  Show Profile
Thanks all for reminding me of Rosemary and Thyme. I haven't watched any in a few years. I will check in Netflix. I saw the movie Land Girls on Netflix and loved the history about it all. Real Farmgirls for sure, even if they didn't start out that way. Jan
Go to Top of Page

Annette Kath
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Annette
Carlock IL
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2012 :  9:57:42 PM  Show Profile
I too enjoy watching the PBS series Rosemary and Thyme!

Annette
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2012 :  04:18:25 AM  Show Profile
I finished all of Rosemary and Thyme so then I watched Land Girls. It was really good, hope there is another season soon. Also does anyone know when the 3rd season of Downton Abbey is going to be released?

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2012 :  4:23:46 PM  Show Profile
They've started advertising the next series on Public Television, so it shouldn't be too much longer.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic Rosemary and Thyme Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page