Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2012 :  9:16:31 PM  Show Profile
Yesterday we left N. central NC and drove hundreds of miles of mountains and horrible "can't see 10 inches in front of your face" rain. I'm a city girl who lives at the beach, so I thought the mountains were beautiful for about 10 mins.-beautiful and so green but after that still green and beautiful, and boring. NC and TN are LONG states to drive across. Then we crossed the Mississippi River and rolled into firm, flat, farmland of Arkansas and my heart sang. I love the brown fields. I love seeing the crops start to poke up their little heads. I love the calm and quiet to it. It was so peaceful, the sun came out and my heart soared. We are now just west of Little Rock, AR and hoping to hit Amarillo, TX by tomorrow night.
It occured to me how big the USA is and how different we are as Americans. I was raised up in Phila, PA., a city of 4 million people and they all live around you. You have to know your neighbors because they live in your back yard. There people focus on what is happening NOW. I loved living there. I loved the culture and shopping and having people right there. Driving thru AR I thought, these people care about what held everyone together for years. They don't have neighbors "right there." It is the church and the schools and the land that holds them all together and it touched me. I was also thinking that I grew up near the Atlantic ocean. My grandmother lived there and the ocean is such a part of me as breathing. It is interesting to me that I could maybe have been born in AR and lived my whole life without seeing the ocean and never miss it. We are all so different, us Americans, but being Americans is who we all are together. I feel so much closer to my farmsisters today after seeing miles and miles of farmland..so different from my life but also my heart.
Here's the unfun part: 232 miles after we left NC, doing 70 mph in the fast lane I blew a tire. I managed to get the car to the side of the road without anyone being hurt. God has a funny sense of humor. We had the flat at the exact exit to where we lived in Knoxville 4 years ago and knew there was a mall there, so 2 new tires later we hit the road again. Today I broke the car door handle so now you have to roll down the window and pull the handle from the outside to get out of the car. Seriously, I am a little afraid to get in the car tomorrow. I seem to be on a roll-not good.
Today, we stopped in Nashville to take a pic of Wynona Judds star on the country music walk of fame. We went to the visitors center where they had some props where you could pretend to be a rock star and get a pic. It was fun and if I can figure out how to post the pic I will. Also got a pic of the parthanon in Nashville which was cool. I'll keep you posted as we roll along and thanks for your well wishes and prayers. Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3320 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3320 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2012 :  05:00:52 AM  Show Profile
Yes! Yes! Yes! This is going to be awesome Joey....Keep on writing girl-friend!

Take care-

Can't wait for the "continuing saga!"

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2012 :  05:22:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You are on an awesome journey! You have a great turn of phrase too- I could imagine exactly what you were seeing!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wff7Xpc/]

[/url]
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Gladstone Mi.
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2012 :  06:26:16 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for keep us posted on your journey. Glad no one got hurt in your tire blowout. Hope the rest of your trip is less eventful in that way, and more beutiful things to see, for sure. Take care and be safe,

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

SpyChicken
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Christine
Fond du Lac WI
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2012 :  06:46:14 AM  Show Profile
Enjoy your trip!!
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2012 :  06:57:20 AM  Show Profile
Joey-
This is so awesome- thank you for taking us along with you. Travel safe and keep us posted- will continue to pray for safe travels.

Lori
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2012 :  8:18:15 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Joey for keeping us up to the minute on your incredible journey. And I totally agree with Alee- your wording is awesome and you really can envision what you are seeing through your words! Got a chuckle out of some of those visuals I must admit (thing car handle window issue here) LOL
Be safe and happy trails!

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Westward Ho! Days 1and 2 Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page