Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 What to do, what to do?.?.?.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic What to do, what to do?.?.?. Next Topic  

Ca-Reds
True Blue Farmgirl

124 Posts

kristy
Clearlake Ca
USA
124 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2012 :  06:47:12 AM  Show Profile
So i thought i would run this by everyone and see what your input is... Due to personal preference i only wear skirts, and so beings that i am almost 6ft tall i make all of them. I use cotton, jean, and sweat pant material for them. And i kinda cheat. I got sweat pants on clearence for $3.00 and cut out the seems, then sewed them back together to make a skirt out of them, with the jean i cut the legs off and add cotton for the the bottom. I don't use patterns, and just kinda wing it. Why? I don't know how to "read" patterns.(Even with my quitls, i draw my own patterns and use them. I do get ideas from other people, but then i draw up my own to use). So here is my question... My husband keeps telling me i need to make up some skirts and sell them at the farmers market. But i don't feel they are the "quality" to sell. I just make them for me. I do get complements all the time on them, and i even made plans to make up a few "sweat skirts" for another mom at my girls school. So i know people like them. I guess i just don't have the confidence in myself to do it... What should i do? keep making them for me or make them up to share???

"Plan ahead, it wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark!"

SpyChicken
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Christine
Fond du Lac WI
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2012 :  07:22:02 AM  Show Profile
Well, if the idea of selling your skirts intrigues you, you'll never know until you try! It's a really tough thing to build up the confidence to put yourself out there-and there will be people who won't be interested, but I'll bet there will be plenty more who WILL be interested! I started my etsy shop 3 years ago and felt exactly like you do, but I have to tell you, it was one of the best decisions I ever made! Not only did I meet so many lovely people from all over the world, but it was a boost to my self-confidence...since I opened my shop, I've been able to take chances and do things I never thought I could outside of my shop. Of course, it would be nice if you sold a ton of skirts, but even if you didn't, you'd still be ahead of the game by getting out there and trying to follow your idea! And then again...you might get a ton of orders, etc. That's the great thing about taking a chance...you never know where it can take you! Go for it!!
Go to Top of Page

Wauka Mountain Mama
True Blue Farmgirl

239 Posts

Fran
Fairburn Ga
USA
239 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2012 :  08:15:54 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Christine 100%!
Plus you have to remember that not everyone is looking for top designer clothing. Alot of us prefer homemade, comfortable clothing with no hype. What your making is its own fashion movement. Its important & people will want to be a part of it. So, if this is something you want to do, you should. :)
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2012 :  08:28:06 AM  Show Profile
I, for one, would be interested in these skirts as long as they weren't too long - maybe mid-calf length? They would be really comfy for work - especially the denim ones. I hate to sew, so if I could get hand-made and not have to do it myself I would definitely check it out!

Good luck!

Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2012 :  08:30:58 AM  Show Profile
I say go for it and I would love to see some of your work. I love to see clothing that is made over and upcycled. There is a huge movement out there to reuse so I believe you will find a good market for your items. Try some kids versions too.

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com
http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ca-Reds
True Blue Farmgirl

124 Posts

kristy
Clearlake Ca
USA
124 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2012 :  11:53:03 AM  Show Profile
So i have been thinking about this whole thing, I think i am going to jump in with both feet and go to town!!! :) When i get a few made up i'll take some pics and post them...

-Kristy

Go to Top of Page

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2012 :  2:17:39 PM  Show Profile
Yay!!!!!

I can't wait to see them.

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com
http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2012 :  2:24:45 PM  Show Profile
Go for it! Even if they don't sell like hot cakes, you will have plenty of skirts for your own use!

Lora

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" -John Wayne
www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com
www.farmallchick.blogspot.com
www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

SpyChicken
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Christine
Fond du Lac WI
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2012 :  7:17:15 PM  Show Profile
Way to go, Kristy!!! Best of luck to you! I'm sure your skirts will be a success!
Go to Top of Page

country_lovin
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Debbie
Oregon
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2012 :  6:58:57 PM  Show Profile
Just try it. Worst case senario, you have more skirts to wear or gift. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2012 :  06:48:34 AM  Show Profile
Could you post a picture? I'd love to see one of the skirts finished!!!

Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

Ca-Reds
True Blue Farmgirl

124 Posts

kristy
Clearlake Ca
USA
124 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2012 :  07:48:27 AM  Show Profile
Luanne, I will post some pics just as soon as i can figuar out how... I know there are directions on here i just need to go back and reread them. Then ill lay the skirts out that i have done and show then to yall. Right now i have 2 jean skirts and 3 sweat pant skirts that are done. I've been wearing for a few weeks...

Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2012 :  11:11:52 AM  Show Profile
I too am tall. I would love to see photos and possibly buy one, but a cotton one. I'm getting another jean material one from another farmgirl later in the year.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

From my hands: http://pioneerpatchworkhomespun.blogspot.com/

From my Camera: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pioneerwomanatheart/
Go to Top of Page

Ca-Reds
True Blue Farmgirl

124 Posts

kristy
Clearlake Ca
USA
124 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  3:06:02 PM  Show Profile
Just wanted you all to know that i have not forgotten about yall! had to go outta town for a week. But will be working on posting some pics here in the next few days... - Kristy

Go to Top of Page

SpyChicken
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Christine
Fond du Lac WI
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  7:57:51 PM  Show Profile
Yay! Will look forward to see how your venture is progressing! :)
Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  8:31:07 PM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
Good luck with your new adventure, You might be surprised of what doors may open for you! Looking forward to seeing pictures. Roxanna
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic What to do, what to do?.?.?. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page