Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  12:02:01 PM  Show Profile
I will be a granma this coming September for the first time...Yayayay!
Anyway I've been reading many articles on "baby proofing your home". Oh boy! I am so overwhelmed by all of this that I don't know where to start in my home. I heard some cribs are dangerous, some highchairs have recalls....What in the world is going on. Back in the day (am I giving my age away lol), we hardly heard of anything being on recall for infants/toddlers or children in general. Help. Any advice?

Friends are the Flowers in the Garden of Life
Farmgirl #3842

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  12:15:18 PM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
Yeah enjoy all those hugs and kisses and keep your cookie jar full. You'll do just fine. Congrats!

Gail
Farmgirl #486

http://grammasladybug.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  12:39:33 PM  Show Profile
My advice, being a fairly new mom (my wee girl is 3), don't sweat this stuff right now. Your little grandbaby won't be doing much of anything (except being held!) for the first few months, so you have time.

We actually didn't do much of anything except outlet covers and remove electrical cords until she was walking at about 10.5 months. Then it was time to start thinking in terms of what their little eyes see and what their little hands can reach. Even still, I'm moving things up higher and higher because she's growing taller and is crazy curious! When she turned about 18 months old, I basically cleared the living room of extraneous knicknacks because I got tired of shaking my fingers at her and saying "no". I simply removed the temptation!!!

I would strongly suggest in investing in a play-yard. Basically, the newer version of the playpen. Couldn't do without mine, it afforded me a lot of freedom and kept Violet safe and happy with her toys, all contained in one space. While I was in the kitchen, quickly preparing lunch or on good weather days, I could easily take it outside where she could lie on a blanket and enjoy the fresh air, and I didn't have to worry about her eating worms or leaves :)

In all, we did very minimal safeproofing--we had baby gates, but those were for our dogs and they came in handy for the porch so she could ride her little trike around.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  12:49:17 PM  Show Profile
Oh Jonni you made me feel sooo much better...I will invest in the play-yard for my granbaby and I won't get overwhelmed. hugs to you.

Farmgirl #3842
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  1:24:37 PM  Show Profile
I remember being where you are and thinking, "how did I live? How did my mom and dad ever keep me safe in 1973 without all this "mandatory" stuff?"

I hope I've helped! It can be totally crazy with all the stuff they want you to have/own, etc. I just kept my Great Grandmother, Theodocia's words in my head (she raised 3 healthy girls all born in 1920, 21 and 22): "All babies need is love, food and comfort--you don't need these fancy things--my first baby, your Grandmother, Helen, slept in a drawer in the dresser."

Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  1:28:33 PM  Show Profile
OM Goodness Jonni, so did my DH mother and my DH's oldest sister. Hysterical!

Farmgirl #3842
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  1:44:07 PM  Show Profile
I still remember her telling me this when I was WAY too young to care about babies, and I looked over at her VERY Art Deco bedroom suite and the dresser and thought, "Wow. I bet that was snug." Then I had my own and realized that she would have probably been quite happy in something that comforting!

Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  1:47:56 PM  Show Profile
You sound like such a witty person...I enjoyed this with you. thanks....a Big Hug to you!

Farmgirl #3842
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  1:59:19 PM  Show Profile
To you, too!
Just a little "fun" for you, Joan--when I was a younger girl, living in concrete Brooklyn each summer while dancing (a classically trained ballerina), I would take the ferry to Staten Island so I could remember what an actual "neighborhood" was like, and the trees that were most like home, here in Kentucky.

Edited by - FebruaryViolet on Apr 03 2012 2:00:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  2:10:30 PM  Show Profile
Jonni I was born and raised in Brooklyn. Where did you live?

Farmgirl #3842
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2012 :  05:45:20 AM  Show Profile
On Maujer Street--near Williamsburg, but not the "posh" part--used to be an old Irish area (they were all in the nursing home down the street) but had turned WAY Puerto Rican and was a bit loud. For a young girl, the concrete, the dilapidated buildings that used to be gorgeous, the really hefty P.R. lady who lived downstairs and put bright, unnatural colored plastic flowers in her pots and flower boxes yelling at people all hours of the day and night, it was just too much for a girl fresh from Kentucky :)

Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2012 :  06:47:27 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, I grew up in South Brooklyn, so I know what you're saying. I love the grass under my feet and birds singing. Just love that country feel.

Farmgirl #3842
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2012 :  06:53:06 AM  Show Profile
My best friend, Jess, who hails from Lubbock, Texas (we all went to boarding school together in Michigan to study the arts-dancing for us) still lives in the apartment we shared, all these years later! That was in 1994!!!! She teaches dance in the NYPS and is in the Graham company. The city just sort of ate me up--I loved it and hated it at the same time. A year after Brooklyn, I moved to London (England) and spent summers in London and the rest of the year in Cornwall on a working dairy/sheep farm. It was where I was meant to be.

Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2012 :  1:15:55 PM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
i had to take a peek here and then i got hooked on jonnis story. i knew some of it but not all of it. another farm girl that i wish would write a book, jonni.....i love reading her post.

love
frannie in texas
farmgirl sister#807
home of "green"crafts,
where no scrap is left behind
(http://abunnystale.wordpress.com/)

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2012 :  2:00:11 PM  Show Profile
Frannie, you're too darn sweet! Nothing about my life much different than YOURS. Would love for you to write down your history...and play some of that music!

Go to Top of Page

Jeanna
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Jeanna
Franklin NC
USA
267 Posts

Posted - May 21 2012 :  08:54:17 AM  Show Profile
My advice is just take a step back and not to worry. You have raised your own children and you kept them safe you will be fine keeping the new little one safe. I have raised two if my own and run an in-home daycare for many years and if you try to raise them by all the advice you see out there you will not only run yourself ragged and worry yourself to death, you will not have the time to enjoy your little one. So just take a deep breath and remember you can do this, you have done this, and you will be fine.

Jeanna
Farmgirl Sister #41

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - May 21 2012 :  09:30:11 AM  Show Profile
I have been doing research online about infant products. Wow, just way too much advise lol. But I will listen to all my farmgirls on here to take a deep breath and relax :)

A Friend is Someone who Reaches for your Hand, But Touches your Heart!
Farmgirl #3842
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - May 26 2012 :  04:01:22 AM  Show Profile
Joan,
So glad you have decided to relax a bit. Enjoy! and Congratulations! What a special time in your life. I hope you really do get to enjoy it.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page
  HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Overwhelmed in Advanced Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page