prudy
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Prudence
Springfield OR
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2012 :  09:59:57 AM  Show Profile
Hi! I found a wonderful set of never used vintage cast iron skillets with the original box.... I washed them in just hot water with a rag, then put a thin layer of coconut oil on them and seasoned them in a 450 oven, upside down for 30 min. Did I do this right?
When I bake corn bread or fry eggs, I get gray from the pan on my food, is this normal? And my corn bread had a iron skillet taste.

So did I do something wrong?
Also what is the proper way to clean them and keep them seasoned.
Thanks!

farmgirl sister #1528
www.avintagemom.blogspot.com
www.lollipookiesoap.etsy.com

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2012 :  10:19:58 AM  Show Profile
Hi Prudy: In this area, "Farm Kitchen". there's a thread called "Cleaning a Cast iron grill pan" by graciegreeneyes. It's on page two. I think that will help and give you an answer. Good luck.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

nanr42
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Nan
WALDPORT Oregon
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2012 :  1:52:28 PM  Show Profile
I think they aren't seasoned completely yet. When I seasoned mine, I used probably canola oil or something like it. I put it in the oven at 250 degrees for several hours. It takes time. And evn then, I had to be careful after washing to dry thoroughly because any part that isn't seasoned will rust. Sometimes I reoiled and put them in the oven again. SOmetimes now I still will just oil them.
Go to Top of Page

prudy
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Prudence
Springfield OR
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2012 :  2:27:40 PM  Show Profile
so you don't get any iron skillet taste on your food? :) Maybe I will reseason

farmgirl sister #1528
Go to Top of Page

nanr42
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Nan
WALDPORT Oregon
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2012 :  5:21:20 PM  Show Profile
No, no odd taste at all. But it has to be thoroughly seasoned. I also didn't stew anything at first in mine, because I would get an off taste. It has to be used awhile I think until the various heating and recooling and cooking and fats get really in there. I'm thinking of my Dutch oven, and I make stew and other watery things in it sometimes. It works fine.

But it would probably be a good idea to check that forum above about how to clean cast iron.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2012 :  10:37:39 PM  Show Profile
It take years to get a good season on it.

I would use lard-this is making a bond to your pan, not something you consume, so while coconut oil is good for the body probably not the best to season a pan with, it needs to bond to the pan. And turn black, the pan should not be gray nor leaving gray on your food. Also before cooking with your pan you should always heat it up and have it pretty hot. Also you bake it on low not hot (so like 200-250) for seasoning. 450 is pretty hot. Again we are trying to get the lard to make a bond with the pan. I also do it right side up, so it doesn't drip out before bonding with the the pan.

It also helps to cook things like bacon and such in it for a while too.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

prudy
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Prudence
Springfield OR
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2012 :  07:32:54 AM  Show Profile
oh thanks for that info Heather!! I will do that, where would I find lard?

farmgirl sister #1528
Go to Top of Page

nanr42
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Nan
WALDPORT Oregon
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2012 :  07:55:00 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, what Heather says. Also, right side up keeps from making your oven a mess. You can get lard in grocery stores. Ask at the meat department.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2012 :  11:59:54 AM  Show Profile
I've always used lard. And the upside-down way helps to keep the lard (or whatever you use) from pooling in the bottom of the pan, or (if your oven is even a teeny bit off-kilter) on one side of it. I didn't realize this until I'd already done a poor job on two pieces that still have only so-so seasoning on the sides and uneven patches on the bottoms. So anyway, Prudence, I think you did everything right. The best thing is to USE those puppies! And remember, clean only when they've cooled off a bit, and then only with mild soap and water. Dry them thoroughly, maybe even setting them on a stovetop burner to be sure.

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2012 :  12:01:56 PM  Show Profile
I've always used lard. And the upside-down way helps to keep the lard (or whatever you use) from pooling in the bottom of the pan, or (if your oven is even a teeny bit off-kilter) on one side of it. I didn't realize this until I'd already done a poor job on two pieces that still have only so-so seasoning on the sides and uneven patches on the bottoms. So anyway, Prudence, I think you did everything right. The best thing is to USE those puppies! And remember, clean only when they've cooled off a bit, and then only with mild soap and water. Dry them thoroughly, maybe even setting them on a stovetop burner to be sure.

Nan, you're right about upright being neater, but I maintain that upside-down -- IF you can keep everything level -- makes for a more even seasoning. What I've done is just put a heavy cookie sheet underneath to catch the drips.

Go to Top of Page

Megan
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Megan
Hudson South Dakota
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2012 :  6:53:48 PM  Show Profile
i seasoned mine with bacon grease, worked good. I just did mine on a low heat on the stovetop, and moved the grease up and down the sides of the pans. Otherwise my dads really good at seasoning them...
I love mine use them all the time for everything.

www.rockriverexoticsandkennel.net
Go to Top of Page

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2012 :  05:23:23 AM  Show Profile
I love mine and after dh had open heart surgery his surgeon told me to use them for his blood levels were down. I never put soap on mine. I clean them with salt and a rag and then rinse with real hot water and dry on a stove cap.

Seasoning in the oven with lard. And I will add you can't season it to much so just keep doing it over and over, it will just get better and better.

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com
http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2012 :  10:24:35 AM  Show Profile
We don't use anything pork in our house but I had heard that solid works better than liquid for seasoning pans so I use a solid vegetable shortening. I also season them several times, anytime the oven is going to be on at about 350 I lightly coat my pan and pop it in the oven upside down over a cookie sheet.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Cast Iron skillets Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page