Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 What does horseradish look like? Now with picture
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic What does horseradish look like? Now with picture Next Topic  

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  2:12:34 PM  Show Profile
I had a friend give me some "rhubarb" last year out of a yard from a vacant home. I swore when I planted it last fall that it wasn't rhubarb and thought it might be horseradish instead.

I've got just the beginnings of growth on the mystery plant and it still doesn't look like pictures I've seen of rhubarb coming out of the ground. Instead of leaves all curled up tight this looks more like a fern in somewhat of a star pattern.

Anybody have horseradish just peeking out of the ground now? What does it look like? I'll try to get a picture of my mystery plant to post.

Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.

Edited by - acairnsmom on Mar 29 2012 7:01:12 PM

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  6:28:02 PM  Show Profile
Can you post a picture of it? Horseradish is pretty stalky and thick.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  7:50:27 PM  Show Profile
I'll post a picture tomorrow when I get into the office. It looks nothing like the pictures I saw on a blog about the rhubarb coming up, so I'm pretty sure it's NOT rhubarb. Maybe I should do the "name this plant" quiz others have done, lol!

Audrey

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2012 :  04:59:07 AM  Show Profile
I've got horseradish coming up right now. When I see your picture, if it doesn't look like yours I'll try to get a picture of mine. I wouldn't describe it as a star, but it looks...feathery? Little tiny fronds. Yeah, I'll have to wait for the picture--I don't think verbal description is going to help much!
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2012 :  12:33:41 PM  Show Profile
Yes, kind of hard to describe Amie. So here is the best picture I took yesterday.

I'll be interested to see what you think.

Audrey

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2012 :  3:55:17 PM  Show Profile
Yup, that's horseradish.
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2012 :  7:00:18 PM  Show Profile
Hah! Thanks Amie! That's what I've been thinking since last fall! It never had the rhubarb leaves and from the pictures I could find of horse radish it looked more like those leaves. Too funny! The people who gave it to me have rhubarb in their yard so they know what it looks like. Don't know why they thought this was the same since it was obvious to me that it was different.

Lucky for me DH and I love horse radish so this is a welcome mixup! I even bought a rhubarb plant a few weeks ago, before this came up I just knew it wasn't rhubarb. I'm jsut laughing now at those silly people who gave it to me, I haven't seen them since last fall. I know they didn't mean any harm just got mixed up themselves.

Thanks for helping me sort this out!

Audrey

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic What does horseradish look like? Now with picture Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page