Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Favorite Stories from Elders?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Favorite Stories from Elders? Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  04:16:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I was just thinking about some of the stories that my grandparents have told me that are amazing or interesting and I was wondering what interesting tales other farmgirls have in their families?

For example- when my grandma was born, she was only 3 pounds and since they didn't really have infant wards in hospitals like they do today and because she was born at home- she was put in a box and put under the wood burning stove to keep warm.

My Grandfather grew up in a little coal mining town and one night a knock on the door revealed a young man who was travelling and wanted to sing for his supper- It was Bing Crosby.

My Grandfather also saw Charles Lindberg fly over his town and that is what inspired him to become a pilot for WW2.

My other Grandfather was accidentally locked in the hold of a ship carrying Bananas during WW2 and almost suffocated from the gas they released before anyone found him and his friend!

Anyone else have stories from their families?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  06:55:28 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Alee--those are wonderful stories!!!

I have a few from both sides of my family--and I'm currently researching Justin's family history ("new" immigrants from Ireland about 1860) and they have some amazing stories, too!

My dad had an older brother named Edward. Daddy never knew him because he was born after he died. When he turned 12,Edward, decided he would leave the dustbowl days behind him, and hopped a train to California from Louisiana, but never made it to his destination. They found him in a train car in Oklahoma. He had a inner ear infection that turned into pneumococcal menigitis and it killed him.

We have a tiny little handmade rocking chair that was given to us by my Great Aunt, Madge. When Madge was born, her mother was so tiny that all other rocking chairs dwarfed her and her feet couldn't touch the floor to "rock" so her husband, a cabinet maker, made this lovely little oak chair for her to rock her babe in.

This is a story I'm not uber proud of, but my father's Great Great Grandfather, Hugh Long, of Louisiana, thought that the secession of the southern states just wasn't enough during the Civil War, so he and his wife, and their 12 children along with other people who felt the same, started a colony in Mississippi and were planning on some sort of "coup" to leave the Southern States because they were strongly pro slavery. I'm not exactly sure "how" they proposed to do it or why it seemed like it could logically be done, but when you're crazy, well, anything seems possible.

On Justin's side, his Great Grandfather served as head of the draft board in his precinct. His sons, all 8 of them, signed up immediately for all of the branches of the military so their father would never be in question. Only one of them didn't make it home, James, who died in Okinawa. There is a picture of Justin's Great Grandmother (Mary Murphy Lynch) and Grandfather (Paul Aloysius Lynch) with Paul, Jr., (Justin's Grandfather), after he signed up for the Navy. They were featured in the Cincinnati Star as the "The Fighting Lynch's" and we still have the articles.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

GirlwithHook
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Alyce
Madison WI
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  08:18:42 AM  Show Profile
Oh girls, I could bore you silly with my family stories! My mother and her siblings were great for telling stuff like this.

My 16th-great-grandfather, http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~edmundmoody/ , was a footman who was knighted for saving Henry the VIII from drowning when His Highness broke the axle on his wagon. (Given that Ric is a blood relative of the British royal family, I sometimes like to remind him that he wouldn't be here if it weren't for my ancestor. )

There are a lot of stories about my grandmother too. During the 20's, she spent a brief time as a moonshiner's decoy for a childhood friend. She met Al Capone, who made a pass at her (Grama's pictures show she was very pretty). Dutch Schultz warned her to stay away from Capone, and she told him not to worry because Capone wasn't her type!

She also cured her favorite brother of ummm a "personal issue" by shoving him into a tub full of Lysol! He called her everything but a white girl while she held him down, and she just told him to be a little more careful with his girlfriends!

It makes me wonder what my family will say about my generation someday?

A hook, a book, and a good cup of coffee....
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  09:54:36 AM  Show Profile
We have some wonderful family stories. One of which is about my great uncle who smuggled his wife home from France in his duffle bag aboard his ship during the war! But my absolute all time favorite is the one where my grandfather left his farm home in RI during the depression and headed to New York for a job. At his first interview, he was so embarrassed to find all these well-dressed young men in suits vying for the job. He was a simple country boy, and wore his plain clothes shirt, pants and slightly worn shoes, while all the other men sneered and looked down their noses at him with disdain. He figured he'd never stand a chance for the job, but since he had nothing else to do, he stayed, chalking the whole thing up to "experience." When his name was finally called, he hesitantly approached the man behind the desk. Pleasantries were exchanged, very little conversation ensued, and the employer glared into his eyes with great intensity for what, to my grandfather seemed an eternity. Grandpa was so embarrassed. He thought all was lost. Before he knew it, the employer stood up and extended his hand. My grandfather reached out for the handshake, expecting nothing more than a "Thank you for coming." Instead the man said, "You're hired." Grandpa about fell over. He couldn't believe it! He got the job! He thanked the employer profusely and asked, "But why me?" The man said, "All those other men out there are all dressed in suits trying to impress. You, however, are dressed in working man's clothes, which tells me you must be a hard worker. Therefore, you've got the job." Grandpa was absolutely stunned and always thoroughly enjoyed relaying the story, each time with the same amazement as he felt the day he was hired.

Another very funny story Grandpa would tell was the time he was hired as an elevator operator. We always knew to ask how he liked that job. He'd always fight to hold back the laughter and reply, "Oh, it had it's ups and downs." And then he'd laugh so hard until tears came into his eyes. LOL! Makes my laugh just thinking about it!

Finally - my father's father, my other grandfather, loved to tell the tale of how when he returned from the merchant marine, he would moonlight as a pipefitter and plumber. One night, he and his buddy were called to a funeral parlor to fix a plumbing issue in the basement. Back in those days, apparently, when a body was brought in, the coolness of the basement was good enough - they didn't refrigerate them. This creeped my grandfather out to no end, and he implored his buddy that they do their darndest to get in there, do the job and get out of there as soon as possible. Unfortunately for grandpa, when they arrived, there was the body of a man brought in earlier in the day, and it wasn't even covered up! He said it gave him willies like he never thought possible, but they had a job to do. Well, what they didn't know was that as a body decomposes, many gases are created within, and eventually, they release. My grandfather was already stricken with fear and discomfort by the situation, of course, but to his complete horror, he suddenly heard a loud moaning sound come from the body next to him. He turned toward it and almost, as he put it, "crapped" himself as he watched the body sit straight up on the table! He said he was so weakened with terror that he felt his own soul leave his body. He grabbed onto the pipe he was working on and shimmied up it with every ounce of energy he had left; took a wrench and smashed out the glass "toad window" in the well above him, and scrambled out faster than a person could say, "Jehoshephat." He said it felt like he flew up that pipe, and when he got out, he ran all the way home and never looked back. Neither he nor his buddy even returned for their tools! LOL! From that night on, he vowed never again to do ANY type of work in a funeral parlor, and avoided them like the plague, never attending another funeral in his life! LOL! Poor guy - I can still see his pale blue eyes widening with fear behind his coke bottle glasses as he told the tale. I think that experience would've done it for me, too, God bless him!

I know these aren't as historical as yours, but they are very dear to me, so I just had to share! 'Hope that's okay! :)

Hugs -

Nini

(\_/)
(='.'=)
(") (")*

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Mar 27 2012 09:59:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

GirlwithHook
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Alyce
Madison WI
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  10:13:30 AM  Show Profile
OMG Nini, seriously? My mom's dad ran into the same situation when he was painting in a funeral home...did your dad grow up in Wisconsin, by any chance? (And are we long-lost cousins, or are there way too many negligent funeral home directors around?)

A hook, a book, and a good cup of coffee....
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  10:55:20 AM  Show Profile
LOL! Seriously, Alyce! My grandfather was a Rhode Islander, though - born and raised! That's so funny your grandfather had the same experience, though!!! LOL!! I just think things were a lot different back in their day, that's all, and these situations were probably more common than we could imagine. Of course we could still be long-lost cousins, though - CJ and I managed to find each other through the Farmgirl Connection! I bet a lot of us have shared roots! ;)

(\_/)
(='.'=)
(") (")*

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

lisalisa
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Lisa
Broomall PA
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  11:56:17 AM  Show Profile
What wonderful stories! I don't have anything that exciting (or creepy)!
My father's parent's grew up in Massachusetts. They met around Cape Cod (which wasn't what it is today, but my family were just laborers, anyway). My grandmother actually drove (!!!) which women didn't do then, it seems. My grandfather worked at the only gas station around. The guys all took bets to see who would ask her out. Guess who won?
Also, at the time, teachers weren't allowed to be married (my grandmother's job to support her siblings at home). So they were married in secret until summer came and they announced it.
And... when she was pregnant with my dad, she had an appendectomy - which, at the time, was unheard of, and very dangerous.
My, how times have changed!
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  12:24:56 PM  Show Profile
What part of Cape Cod, Lisa? We lived in Bass River and South Yarmouth for years...As a matter of fact, as a young man my dad worked on the dredges for the Cape Cod canal. Have you ever been there? SO cool! It is SO different even from when I was growing up, but such wonderful memories of Smuggler's Beach and vacationing with friends in Harwich! And how I loved Plimoth Plantation and visiting the public areas of the Kennedy Compound - I so badly wanted to be married in the chapel there! :) Gosh, do I miss the ocean... New England!!!

(\_/)
(='.'=)
(") (")*

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

lisalisa
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Lisa
Broomall PA
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  1:59:52 PM  Show Profile
Hey, Nini, my Grandmother and family were from around the Baaan-stable area. She specifically grew up in Osterville. Her parents and 2 older sisters are buried there. My grandfather came from Western Mass, New Braintree. The gas station her worked for - Texaco - offered him an opportunity to open a gas station/service station (remember those?) in Philadelphia. The rest is history!
Anyway...in the 80's I moved to Natick, Ma (my oldest was born there), it's so beautiful there and I do miss the accent! ps, where are you in PA?
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  2:41:20 PM  Show Profile
Small world, my dad always related the story of the day he started smoking. He and another fellow were hearse drivers (Dad was working PT in college) and they were called on in the middle of the night to go pick up a body. Same as your grandfather, the body they picked up had some gases in it and as Dad and the other guy were driving back to the funeral parlor the body moaned and sat straight up in the back of the hearse! Once they calmed down a bit, the other fellow offered Dad a cigarette which he accepted shakily! Dad went on to become a seasonal park ranger in Rocky Mountain National Park and was called on several times to retrieve hikers who had fallen to their deaths. Dad got to go pick them up and bring them back on horseback.

Lets, see...my Mom's father was a rancher, a jail keeper, a teacher, a moonshine runner and several other occupations I'm sure (not all of these at the same time).

DH'S Grandmother lived on a ranch and outwitted an Indian Raiding party by painting dots of strawberry jam on her and her childrens faces. They thought she had the plague and left her alone.

My Uncle delivered Kraft cheese out of a wooden box wagon drawn by a horse.

I think we are a spoiled generation who never faced serious hardships like our ancestors!

Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.

Edited by - acairnsmom on Mar 27 2012 2:43:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  2:50:37 PM  Show Profile
LOL! I went to D-Y (Dennis Yaaamouth), we were total rivals with Barnstable. Our rally cry was "Baaanstable bites the dust!" Just like the song... Too funny!

Oh, yes, I well remember... My dad owned a gas/service station on the Cape - I pumped gas for him all summer during the gas lines! LOL! I've lived in many places in Massachusetts... we should probably compare notes sometime via email! :)

When my husband moved us to PA, I had to learn to say my "r's" just so people could understand me. But whenever we get to go back home, I slip right back into the New Englandese, so now EVERYONE can understand me!

What a great, romantic story your grandparents have - how awesome to know it and be able to pass down the tale! Make sure you write it down and keep it for posterity!!!

We're just west of Pittsburgh (GO STEELERS!). Where is Broomall? I've never heard of it? Then again, PA is SO much bigger than RI or MA...

(\_/)
(='.'=)
(") (")*

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  2:54:52 PM  Show Profile
Oh Audrey! That is too funny! Your poor dad! But what an amazing man to do go on to do such a difficult job! And I absolutely LOVE the story about your DH's grandmother! What a wise woman! She must've been fascinating! I would've loved to hear her stories - I'm sure she had a million of them! ;)

(\_/)
(='.'=)
(") (")*

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  6:42:50 PM  Show Profile
One story I've heard about my grandpa was how, during one winter, there were these big white birds (pelicans? egrets?) that had been wading in the river and the river froze so fast that the birds were trapped. My grandpa and some other men got their pickaxes and broke up the ice so the birds could go free. My grandma, on my mom's side, had some relatives who supposedly rode with the James gang. But she never liked to talk about them, so I don't know any details. And my dad's aunt and uncle eloped when they were young. They eventually had a church wedding and were married for over fifty years.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Favorite Stories from Elders? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page