kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2012 :  07:49:56 AM  Show Profile
I just dug up a bunch of the new strawberry plants down in the strawberry jungle. I looked up on line to see if I could plant them with onions. I had heard something about doing that. And it can be done. I have been tilling about 3' wide rows and planting 2 rows of whatever in them. So I have the middle to plant something in, like flowers. SO I will plant these strawberry plants down the middle of the onion row. It's already mulched and ready to go. And these are older plants so we should be eating some berries soon. And these were all free! I had bought 2 cups of 4 each the other day and they must have been $5 a cup. Way too high.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2012 :  09:08:22 AM  Show Profile
Kris - Just a quick FYI - I also heard that strawberries grow really, really well with spinach. Good luck! Let us know how everything turns out! Hugs - Nini

(\_/)
(='.'=)
(") (")*

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  09:59:03 AM  Show Profile
Good luck! I love pairing different plants to get a prettier more colorful and textural view. Here I have lettuce and carrots, Swiss chard and green onions. I just planted corn and eggplant, beans and corn, and tomatoes and corn. Should be interesting to see what turns up.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  10:52:02 AM  Show Profile
I just got back from getting more plants and seeds. I read to plant eggplant in with potatoes. The eggplant is a draw for the potato beetle. And I got some carrot seeds to plant with some strawberries too. This is so fun, getting out in the dirt and planting things. I love it.

Julie, I think it's still too early here to plant corn, beans, tomatoes yet. Although, with this great weather, I may try a few rows the middle of April. I did plant some squash and zuchinni last week. I do love color. I got some Ruby Red and purple cabbage plants. And I love Swiss Chard. It's so pretty and colorful. Also got some spring lettuce mixes to plant under the cedar tree. Also some spinach will go in there too. So much to do!

Nini, I love strawberry and spinach salad.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2012 :  5:14:47 PM  Show Profile
Great!! My strawberry plants are growing out of their pots and I was wondering where I could plant them & what to plant with them.

Strawberries in white planter in front & in beige round planter in back.

My Grandmother always planted strawberries under her roses and they both did really well. Next week, I'll do the spinach/strawberry combo. Strawberries need to be in the ground anyway.
Thanks sisters.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Strawberries with onions Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page