kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2012 :  07:33:07 AM  Show Profile
I am in need of some really good gardening shoes or boots. I have some Muck boots. They are half boots. And some holey Crocks. They are a joke in the garden. Dirt all in them. And my new tiller flings dirt clods all over the place and mostly in my boots or Crocks. I can wear long pants with the legs over the boots and that's fine. But I hate tilling or working in the garden with long pants on. I am going to T.S. today and will look there. But would like to hear about y'alls gardening footwear. I think I would like just a shoe that's tight so dirt can't get in. But that can breath as well. Also my feet look horrible because they are always dirty. SO please tell me about your gardening shoes!

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2012 :  08:01:47 AM  Show Profile
Kris, I wear my old boots to work in the garden. I tried Muck boots, etc... but I keep going back to the old boots.
Let us know what you find. Good luck.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2012 :  08:11:02 AM  Show Profile
I usually go barefoot. My Hubby found a pair of Wolverine boots with a tennis shoe type sole. He wears them and tills the walk paths. Thus I am able to go barefoot on the newly tilled soft dirt. I also have a nice pair of leather only moccosins that I wear if he's not around to till for me.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2012 :  08:18:44 AM  Show Profile
I wear my Hunter Wellies, Kris--with shorts or with jeans tucked in. They're cushiony and they protect my legs from scratchy stuff and I get good traction with them, along with a nice "heel" to lay into the shovel or whatever tool I'm using.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2012 :  08:42:50 AM  Show Profile
depending on where I am in the garden (as in progress), barefoot, crocs, kneehigh rubber boots, and even sometimes flip flops, that way all of the above can be hosed off, but once the garden is really growing, its kneehigh boots or 1/2 boots with 1/2 chaps, because the rattlesnakes use the gardens to have a cool spot...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2012 :  05:15:15 AM  Show Profile
I usually wear the crocs or my muck boots. I just kick the dirt out before I go inside. I have seen some cute garden shoes at TS though but haven't gotten any. They look like crocs without holes and they actually cover more of your foot.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2012 :  07:46:35 AM  Show Profile
I looked while I was there yesterday and didn't see anything I liked. I will probably end up barefooted anyway. I cannot wear those crocs on wet ground. I will keep looking though. Maybe one day I will find a good garden shoe. Til then, I am a barefoot gardener! I'll just have to soak my feet every night.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2012 :  7:26:08 PM  Show Profile
I just got a pair of plain blue rain boots for five bucks at this store we have here called Five Below. They fit great and I can't wait to use them as I have hesitated going too far into the garden with the one pair of gym shoes I have.

God bless,

Judy
Farmgirl #3666

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!

http://farmtimes.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2012 :  01:35:17 AM  Show Profile
My muck boots have served me well. Sometimes they do get a bit warm!
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  09:47:55 AM  Show Profile
If you don't mind the fashion statement- you can try the soft hightops (like Chucks) and shin guard socks that go up to your knees. They stay up the best and the Chucks lace up tight enough to your ankles to keep dirt out.

I just wear soft hiking boots and shuck the dirt off when I take my socks off, but all my socks are perpetually stained brown or green anyway from dirt of alfalfa.

Love Muckboots and also wear these with the shinguard socks since I can't stand sweaty back of knee feel when wearing rubber boots. They do get hotter in summer, but will for sure keep my feet dry in wet grass early in the a.m. I wear men's (size 7=ladies 8) since they come up taller and keep more stuff out when I wear shorts and pants.

I have tried going barefoot since I love the feel of our Carolina clay, but with so many chickens running around, stepping in chicken poo one too many times put an end to that real quick.

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  09:52:15 AM  Show Profile
Not to go off on a tangent...but why would anyone want to wear Crocs??????? Honestly??? After wearing Birkenstocks for so long (still do) I can't stand sweaty rubber, let alone holes that allow garden stuff to make feet even dirtier than what they already are!?

It's personal preference, but super uncomfortable since I hate swolen sweaty feet and little to barely any arch support.

But I do love the cute colors and clog-like shape for sure!
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  09:54:50 AM  Show Profile
And I'm not knocking anyone elses preferences....just sell me please!
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  10:05:05 AM  Show Profile
DH and I both wear low rubber, slip on shoes. They are inexpensive at the farm stores. Mine are a Ranger "lady bug" brand. I used to go barefoot or wear sandals. My feet are touchey as I get older. The moment they touch the ground outside they cramp up. Also, have to keep them warm and dry with fibro and arthritis, so I wear low socks inside them. They work great for me especially when I like to weed on muddy days.

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon

Edited by - forgetmenot on Mar 27 2012 10:07:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  12:24:14 PM  Show Profile
Anna, I know. They are so not any good in the garden because of all those holes. And one day I was wearing them out back bush hogging some tall grassy weeds and stalks kept going into the soles of them. I got cut real bad on my big toe. Not a smart thing to do. And they hurt. It's nice to be able to just slip them on and off real fast though.

Ace Hardware has the Muck boot shoes on sale right now for just $43.00. But that is still too much and they look like they'd be hot in the summer. I'll think some more about them.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  1:52:50 PM  Show Profile
I usually go barefoot except in the spring when my feet would get too cold and also until I get the dirt properly worked up. I usually wear my $10 rubberish milking boots until I go barefoot. I get heat rash around my ankles pretty quick so as soon as it gets warm enough to go barefoot I usually do! I too hate dirt in my shoes :)

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

herb19355
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Debi
Danielsville, GA
USA
321 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2012 :  2:03:34 PM  Show Profile  Send herb19355 a Yahoo! Message
I have a pair of yellow plastic shoes called "Sloggers" (http://www.sloggers.com/197-w-clog.shtml) that are BRIGHT yellow. I have had them for years and years. They are truely worn out - the soles have split and they are a mess ~ but I can not throw them away they are so comfortable.

Living in the country, we haul our trash to the landfill. Iasked my husband to get rid of my sloggers for me. (I just could not bear to put them in the trash). The next time we hauled trash, we were emptying the truck and out popped on of my sloggers! Oh NO!!!! I could not throw them out, so I crawled into the pit where we were pitching trash and got them. My DH laughs to this day about those darn shoes.
Yes, I could buy another pair, but these are broken (literally and figuratively) and and that style does not come in yellow any more.

Debi
herb19355

UPdate - Just for the heck of it, I called Sloggers and asked if they could suggest any way to repair my shoes. They were most helpful - even went as far as check to see if ANY yellow ones were available. They found one! Size 8 - I were a size 5 no luck. So, they are sending me a new pair in red ! Free - no receipt, nothing! They are truely a great company.

GA Farmgirl #2515

Edited by - herb19355 on Apr 24 2012 1:06:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2012 :  3:58:10 PM  Show Profile
Debi, I had some of those. Got them at Big Lots a few years back. I think I had holes in the bottom. I did like them as they fit really good but they "farted" when I walked and it was so embarrasing! They would get air inside and they would literally make a farting sound at every step. So they had to go! I had the blue ones. What wonderful memories!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2012 :  06:41:02 AM  Show Profile
Duct tape could fix those puppies right up! And these days it comes in so many purdy colors I bet you could find yellow to match your Sloggers!

Hard to find good products to replace what we love, I know all too well!
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2012 :  5:45:29 PM  Show Profile
Wellies. Plain and simple. Well, not so plain - mine are turquoise with a paisley pattern on them. :)

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 teenagers, 2 bunnies, 2 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Check out my blog: http://www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com
and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker), Twitter (@sphomemaker), and Pinterest (Suburban Prairie Homemaker)

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2012 :  5:50:59 PM  Show Profile
Here is a website I found with Bogs really cheap:

http://www.6pm.com/bogs-womens-boots~5

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2012 :  6:05:50 PM  Show Profile
Sharon
You're killing me. I got some of the shorter Bogs for Christmas, but the higher ones are calling my name.
Dave Ramsey is in the back of my head,.. "A want or a need?"
Dang it! a want, but boy OH boy are those great deals!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2012 :  6:40:59 PM  Show Profile
I Love the Sloggers, too!!! And, they are made in the USA. I bought mine at Target, but have seen them at CVS in the "seasonal" section. I have the clogs, like in the picture, and also two pairs of the boots. I have to agree with Kris about the clogs. I've noticed that embarrassing sound, too, and worried that someone my get the wrong idea!!!

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson
Go to Top of Page

marmieto12
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

laura
utah
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2012 :  06:54:42 AM  Show Profile
Depends on what I am doing in the garden. I have ankle boots like sloggers, generic sloggers, and then of course birkenstocks. I "invested" in knee high Bogs this past winter..love them!Very comfortable and warm! Muck boots are nice for mucking, but do not work for me in the garden.

Laura~Dreaming of big girl farm...

Farmgirl # 148

Farm Girl Projects http://justsimplythegirls.blogspot.com

My Vinyl Decor Business
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheGirlsCreate

The Girls Create on Facebook~ https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Girls-Create/152037319813
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2012 :  4:40:22 PM  Show Profile
I use a pair of old waders I got for $2 at a yard sale until they get too hot, but by then it's warm outside and the grass between my garden rows is grown and soft so I go bare footed...but only in the garden, where we have fenced it off from the rest of the yard. I have two doggies who haven't learned how to use the toilet, and a husband who doesn't believe in cleaning up after them. I also have a pair of purple Crocs and a pair of purple flip flops with silver stars on the straps that I wear to and from the garden shed.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page

herb19355
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Debi
Danielsville, GA
USA
321 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  1:09:22 PM  Show Profile  Send herb19355 a Yahoo! Message
UPdate - Just for the heck of it, I called Sloggers and asked if they could suggest any way to repair my shoes. They were most helpful - even went as far as check to see if ANY yellow ones were available. They found one! Size 8 - I were a size 5 no luck. So, they are sending me a new pair in red ! Free - no receipt, nothing! They are truely a great company.

For the record, we tried everything - including duct tape and gorilla glue... nothing worked

GA Farmgirl #2515
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  7:38:38 PM  Show Profile
Kristan your reply made me laugh. I couldnt help picturing you walking around with farting shoes lol!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Garden shoes. Any suggestions? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page