Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 What's a Stay-at-Home Mom Worth?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What's a Stay-at-Home Mom Worth? Next Topic  

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  11:23:47 AM  Show Profile
I wise farmgirl told me to see what it would cost for someone to pay another person to do all of my chores etc.

In one quick search, I found this:

"Based on a survey of over 6,500 mothers, Salary.com determined that the time mothers spend performing 10 typical job functions would equate to an annual salary of $115,432 for a stay-at-home mom." (from salary.com)

Another site reported the worth $117,000 (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,354638,00.html)

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

From my hands: http://pioneerpatchworkhomespun.blogspot.com/

From my Camera: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pioneerwomanatheart/

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  11:44:27 AM  Show Profile
Wow! Thanks for sharing that with us. Interesting. I know having a stay at home mom for me was priceless. I wish she could have been paid because she and the other lady who helped raise us deserved every penny.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

ruthie218
True Blue Farmgirl

1425 Posts

Ruthie Ann
Indiana
USA
1425 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  12:56:42 PM  Show Profile
I was a stay at home for years and loved every minute of it . No amount of money is worth the memories.Then when my dd went to school I taught preschool so I was always home by the time got home,I was off for all the breaks and summer so just like stay at home mom. Now my dd is in college and talks about the things we did when she was growing up. She talks often if has to work about having grammy aka me take care of her children and building memories with them like she had.
Ruthie Ann

http://simpleindianagirl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  1:41:23 PM  Show Profile
I was (and still am) a stay at home mom. I stayed home full time until my children were both in Elementary School. When my youngest started kindergarten, I was lucky enough to find a job just minutes from home, with flexible hours that allowed me to go to work after I dropped them at school and leave work in time to pick them up from school. My boss allows me to set my own hours and leave for bookfairs, special events etc. My kids are now in 6th and 8th grade, and I still have that same wonderful schedule. I suppose in a few years they will be old enough to stay home "by themselves" if they are off from school etc, but boy, I am so very lucky to have such a wonderful job, which treats me like family and realizes that FAMILY COMES FIRST!

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2012 :  11:09:55 AM  Show Profile
I agree with whomever mentioned the "job" of a stay at home mother is priceless. How can you measure how much it is to instill character and motivation in small children that should last a lifetimes? Along with being nanny, maid, cook, chauffeur, and teacher?

I'll hand it to those ladies who have taken the plunge: I respect those who dare to adventure into motherhood! What energy you must have f

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View My Work:

art/dolls: www.vagabondcreations.blogspot.com

The Horse Drawn Project and Farming!
www.beyondvagabond.com

View the blog and radio show!
Renegade Farming!: www.therenegadefarmer.com

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2012 :  12:56:32 PM  Show Profile
So where do we go pick up our checks? I just figured out how much I am owed for 20 years. $2,340,000.00. What about taxes? I guess we would have had to pay taxes on all that. Even half that is $1,170,000.00. I'll take that. Then there are a few years I raised the grandkids. But then there should be a cost of living raise and all. That's some good money.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

lisalisa
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Lisa
Broomall PA
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2012 :  4:29:31 PM  Show Profile
I saw you posting and thought -"Her weight in gold!!!"
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2012 :  6:22:44 PM  Show Profile
My thought was no one would be able to afford us, 4 kids and a small farm/ranch, I think we are all priceless...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

lisalisa
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Lisa
Broomall PA
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2012 :  08:01:32 AM  Show Profile
Way to go, Tina! I'm with you!
Y'know, people just don't appreciate us!
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2012 :  08:10:45 AM  Show Profile
AMEN, Lisa! AMEN!!!

Kristina - thank you for sharing this information and these websites with us! 'Makes me feel a lot better about not bringing home the six-figure salary that my sister does! LOL! I just think that there are so many aspects to what we do - one honestly cannot put a price tag on it. To have people devalue what we stay-at-homers do and to be told we "don't work" is not only an insult, it's heartbreaking. To think that people have such low esteem for everything a person does to keep his or her home running and family healthy physically, emotionally and spiritually... it's no wonder the world is as it is today!

One time, my husband and I were discussing college for our son. I expressed how bad I felt that we had invested so much money on college for me, and that I never did anything with it - what a waste. I told him I felt bad that I let him down. He said, "What in the WORLD are you talking about?! You take care of us and everything else around here - you shop, cook, clean, garden, budget, cut coupons, pay bills, do the taxes, play chauffeur - we have whatever we need; you PRAY...you keep on top of things! You keep us healthy, you keep us grounded, and you homeschool our son, for Heaven's sake! He's the smartest, most well-rounded, healthiest kid I know! Don't be silly - your education was not a waste at all, and what you do is more than most people do in a work week! You hold us together - you're the heart of this family. Don't ever think otherwise!" I think it was the first time I saw myself and what I do as being of great value. Suddenly whatever anyone else thought or said didn't mean a thing to me. My husband's acknowledgment and the satisfaction I received from this new perspective of my role in our family really made all the difference. Did I "need" him to tell me that? No... Deep down, I knew it was important! But to have him actually express his appreciation was priceless, and whenever I start feeling "second class" to anyone, I just remember to see myself as he sees me - he's the most beautiful mirror I have! :)

Hugs -

Nini

(\_/)
(='.'=)
(") (")*

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2012 :  08:50:15 AM  Show Profile
My Mama had a sign in her kitchen that read: " Man works sun to sun, but, a Womens work is NEVER done", and it is oh so true...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

lisalisa
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Lisa
Broomall PA
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2012 :  11:30:43 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Nini, it's so great to be appreciated, isn't it? (he's a keeper!)
Reading your post brought tears to my eyes.
Thanks for saying it for all of us!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  05:03:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Man! I wish I had earned that salary when I was a SAHM! I miss those days- being a SAHM is an amazing job-challenging, rewarding, and one of a kind job. It's not something that everyone can do- and I hope that by the time Nora becomes a mom- she will have the choice both inclination wise and financially on whether or not she wants to be a SAHM.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  05:10:07 AM  Show Profile
SAHM's are priceless!!!! So glad my daughter can be one. I was almost one. I worked the hours my daughter was at school and was home when she was. I wish though that I could have been at home full time. DD also home schools, so her college education is definitely being put to good use! :)

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

SpyChicken
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Christine
Fond du Lac WI
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  07:31:37 AM  Show Profile
For all of its ups(mostly) and occasional downs, I would not trade being a stay at home mom for anything! There's a big age difference between my kids (19 & 6)...with the older one I did work outside the home on and off but when my son was born we made the decision for me to be at home-worth every sacrifice!!

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic What's a Stay-at-Home Mom Worth? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page