Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic canning horseradish Next Topic  

dreamingofmygardens
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

mn
48 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  09:12:44 AM  Show Profile
looking for a good method to can horseradish. I've tried a few but there isn't much out there. and looking for new roots if anyone has extra to swap for seeds or something else. mine did not do well last season and i am addicted to horseraddish!

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2012 :  06:27:56 AM  Show Profile
I haven't tried canning horseradish. I don't think it has a very long shelf life on its own...although I wonder about all of those things that you find on the grocery store shelves that contain horseradish and how it manages to keep.
I have a pretty fair amount of horseradish, if you still need some starts, let me know. It is super muddy here now though. According to the weatherman, we just got over a month's worth of rain in one week, with more on the way next week, so I might not be able to dig anything up right away.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
"Look deep into Nature, and then you will understand everything better."--Albert Einstein
http://www.etsy.com/shop/StrawHouseDesigns
Go to Top of Page

dreamingofmygardens
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

mn
48 Posts

Posted - May 19 2012 :  07:29:07 AM  Show Profile
when you dig yours in the fall, i'd love to have a few starts. I can't find any up here. I am hoping to have a crop this year but we'l see. I wonder if its better to wait every other year to harvest? this is only my 4th year..first year i planted and waited till the next year to harvest and it was a good crop. then last year was only a pint worth... so this year i have no idea but i think i might let it wait one more season. i am going to try and find more information on it but i have not found too many people who grow it in a cold climate and write about it. i am also going to add some good manure to the plot and that should help. any other help wold be appreciated
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - May 19 2012 :  09:13:09 AM  Show Profile
Hi there :)

I found this online concerning preserving Horseradish and plan on trying to freeze it in the Fall myself.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/harvest/msg1119433426285.html

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

dreamingofmygardens
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

mn
48 Posts

Posted - May 25 2012 :  04:28:16 AM  Show Profile
I know a few people who freeze them too. My freezer is to full. I hope I get enough this year to can. It's so darn good.
Go to Top of Page

dreamingofmygardens
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

mn
48 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2012 :  06:24:42 AM  Show Profile
it's almost that time.. a few hard freezes and it should be ready to dig...
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic canning horseradish Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page