Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Clematis growers--need your help!!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Clematis growers--need your help!!!! Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  07:00:27 AM  Show Profile
Last year, I posted a clematis question, and you ladies were so helpful (I asked why one of my plants was doing better than the other, the suggestion was to move it to a similar location and voila! It's growing like mad!)

This go round, I have a question about the "brown dead leaves and stems" The new growth comes off of some of these, but not all. If I remove the brown dead stuff, will I harm the plant and the new growth? Is there a time I'm suppose to do this or not do this at all?

It looks sortof...yuck. And I can't recall if I've ever seen any other clematis with the dead stuff still as well as the brand new growth and flowers.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  3:43:29 PM  Show Profile
I have a clematis vine that came with my house and I usually wait until there is some new growth and then I remove some of the dead stuff. I leave the part at the bottom alone. It comes back every year. as with any vine, it grows from the bottom up, so as long as you don't mess with that, it should do fine.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  4:00:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I vote with Cindy. I'm usually a 'less is more' sort of pruner. Today, I noticed one of my new Clematis has not only lots of new leaves, but BLOOMS coming on already! What a weird spring! Just hope it keeps on like this and doesn't send us some nasty 'smack down' of cold at the last minute.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2012 :  01:37:00 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info. Maybe mine will do a bit better this year. I think I have been a bit too ambitious pruning it.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

mickib
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Michele
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
267 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  12:28:51 PM  Show Profile
My husband is the official clematis tender at our house. He just shakes all the dead leaves off. It seems to work.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  12:31:59 PM  Show Profile
Mine did not have dead brown leaves. I just went out yesterday and put a little section of fence for it to climb up on. My hubby always seems to weed whack the poor thing down every year. I have a wisteria growing at the other end of the little fence I have the clematis growing on. That should be really pretty. The wisteria is blue and the clematis is purple.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Gingerskeeper
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Rebecca
Oswego Illinois
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  7:30:02 PM  Show Profile
I wait until everything dies for the winter and then chop everything down to the ground. It grows like a weed, but it looks beautiful! It always comes back in the spring just as beautiful as the year before!

http://thisbountifulbackyard.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Clematis growers--need your help!!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page