Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Friend building new horse barn
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Friend building new horse barn Next Topic  

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2012 :  9:58:37 PM  Show Profile
and is putting in all cement flooring even in stalls. Now am I wrong in my thinking that this is not the best thing to do? I did question her about the hard surface and how it would put stress on the legs, but she says they will put down rubber mats. Could some of you knowledgeable horse ladies enlighten me, am I wrong in thinking that may not be the best floor in a horse stall?

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2012 :  10:42:17 PM  Show Profile
We've done it both ways. Our stalls are on concrete now because that is what was there. But when we built a barn to our specs we had the stalls gravel under the mats. Urine does seep between the mats and the concrete will absorb the smell where the gravel will let the urine drain a bit.

Concrete is costly! Tell your friend to reconsider gravel.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  09:41:49 AM  Show Profile
We have concrete covered with rubber stall mats. For foaling I also spread either straw or shavings. If I have to put a horse in the stall now, I add shavings.

I think the reason for concrete is ease of cleaning, ie hose off. Plus concrete is a uniform surface for the mats. I think it's pretty industry standard to use concrete covered with mats. But I've not ever been in a large commercial horse facility. I just know what people in our area do.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2012 :  08:50:57 AM  Show Profile
Another reason for concrete, if you have a horse that gets bored and starts digging. Try filling in a hole in your stall that can get as deep as 3 ft. This can happen even over night. My preference would be sand with a gravel base for drainage.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Friend building new horse barn Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page