Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Need INTERNET!!! Next Topic  

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2012 :  5:45:19 PM  Show Profile
So, I've been at my new job for 2 days now and there's definitely one HUGE drawback. No internet access. Like, it's not even on the computers. I was expecting that I would have to restrict my internet usage to breaks, but this is crazy! I'm having withdrawal symptoms! My fingers are itching to check my email, my bank balance, MaryJanesFarm, the weather, the lyrics to that dumb song that got stuck in my head during the drive to work, anything. Must. Make. Contact. With. Outside. World. ARRRRGGGHHH.

On a more serious note, I really do need to be able to work on school projects during my lunch hours, or at least touch base with my instructors and internship supervisors during the business day. From what I hear, there's no wifi in the building so I can't use my laptop.

Any suggestions? Is it a smartphone that I need or one of those wireless internet thingies that plugs into a usb port (I'm sure you know what I mean)? Right now I've just got a cheap little prepaid cell, so this is a whole new world for me.

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2012 :  7:38:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Amie- One of those things that plugs into your computer is going to cost you almost as much as a data plan for a smartphone. I love my iphone but I have heard that wal-mart has prepaid smart phones so maybe that is something you could look into or maybe it would be cheaper to have a smartphone on a plan? I know that I was surprised to learn that my phone was not as expensive when I realized I had been paying a dollar a minute every month for my trac phone :(

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2012 :  8:45:02 PM  Show Profile
Maybe check and see where hotspots are in the area and have lunch there? Can you call your instructors to keep in touch during the day?

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  07:42:20 AM  Show Profile
If you have a laptop for your personal use, go to Starbucks or McDonalds, they have free internet. If you want to get a smartphone you will be able to get online easily with that. If you are actually going to do projects get an iPad with internet and you can work right on it and send it to whomever you need to.

Good luck!

God bless,

Judy
Farmgirl #3666

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!

http://farmtimes.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  3:14:59 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the suggestions. Alee, I think you've got a good point about the cost per minute for the smartphone. I may need to bite the bullet and go to Walmart (I try to avoid it).

Unfortunately, there are no Starbucks or McD's in downtown Rochester. It's kind of a ghost town. Although I am surprised that the west end, where my new employer is located, has fewer amenities than the east end where I was before. There are tons of county and city employees clustered over here--the court, the sheriff, the crime lab, etc. Apparently all the parking lots have waiting lists of more than a year for monthly spots. And yet no convenient coffee shops? It makes no sense.

I've gotten a second opinion on wifi within the building, and it may exist after all. Guess the only way to find out is to take the laptop in and try it out. But I need to find a drawer that I can lock first.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  7:12:47 PM  Show Profile
verizon has a prepaid phone that cost 30 something dollars a month, has internet access, and is not too bad. I am not sure of all the details, cause it's been a few years but my husband had it for a while and it wasn't bad.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  04:50:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
How is it going, Aime? Any locking drawers? I know how disconnected you can feel going from internet access to no internet access. How are your co-workers? I hope the job is going well! :)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Need INTERNET!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page